“Decent place to stay in OC”

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel - Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #10 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I booked this hotel (not my first choice, BTW) on line via the Ocean City visitors website, a day before our arrival. We got in very late, just past midnight, and my reservation was ready. The room was just fine, bed comfortable, bathroom clean. Our room was on the side of the hotel, with a small balcony, and we had an ocean view. Nice to sit out there, although a little small. Enough room for us, and everything seemed to be in working order.

Just a little shout out to Megan, the daytime front desk person--there was some confusion (on my part I guess) about passes to an amusement park that we purchased at the hotel--ended up being for the waterpark, which we did not want. At first, she said that she couldn't get us a refund, but offered to call the manager ( on a day off) to find out how to do it. Problem fixed very quickly, got the refund! That's customer service!

Several decent restaurants nearby--we didn't use the hotel restaurant. Excellent location on the Boardwalk, right on the beach. Bit of schlep to the amusement areas, but we got our exercise in!

Parking structure without elevators. I managed a spot on the second level, but ended up having to go around several blocks to access the ramp to get up, as it isn't right next to the entrance. Didn't realize I could have come in from another street.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank neonp
Write a ReviewReviews (1,319)

Reviewed 16 August 2011

We just stayed here for a 4 day vacation in OC. I'll start with the good: just a few steps to the beach; couldn't be more convenient, located near several decent places to eat.

Neutral: 2 mile walk to the midway where the games and rides are. We didn't mind because that's how we got our exercise in but someone older or with kids might find it too far to walk.

Now the bad. The first night we were awaken by banging at the door with two men yelling "Police, open up!" Being from NY/NJ, I'm not trusting that it's really the police at my door in the middle of the night. When looked thru the peephole they were standing to the side and didn't show ID. As I went to call the front desk, my b/f opened the door with the latch on and saw that they were in uniform. One came in with a flashlight and looked out on our deck asking if we were out there. I said, "we were SLEEPING!" and he said "sorry, wrong room." After that my heart was racing and I couldn't fall back asleep very easily. Went to the front desk the next morning to ask what was going on and all they could say was there was someone yelling on a balcony. We asked what we should have done. They said the police have jurisdiction but you don't have to let anyone in. That was comforting.

The next night the TV stopped working. A kid from the front desk came up and played around for 10 minutes finally fixing it. He said he's fixed about 40 in 4 months. Channels on the room listing aren't necessarily what you'll get. We had a about 10 channels and when I called about one in particular they said it might not be working because it was raining out.

The room was average, bathroom door didn't close right, a hot water heater was badly disguised by a broken sliding curtain thing. And the "best room available" offer when I booked got us 2 double beds. Water pressure is really bad because they have water saving shower heads. Build in ten extra minutes for travel time while you wait for the elevators which are slow. The indoor pool and spa area could use some work but was sufficient when it rained out.

For $260/night (including tax) I was hoping for a little better experience. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank starente
Reviewed 16 August 2011

we stayed here in july and me and my two friends loved jenn the front desk worker. she was nice, and friendly. egor was also pretty cool. i would deffinetly go back again. i loved the location because my friends and i loved the rides on the boardwalk and it was a little walk but not fat at all. and my dad and his friend loved the brass balls place next door. GOO JENNNNNN!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank maddieisawesome
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The hotel is right on the boardwalk and beach. If yo want the amusement park, you have to use the tram. Restaurants are within walking distance. The hotel is clean, the hotel staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel recently got new beds and pillows which were very comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iris
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Howard Johnsons on 12th street was an awesome hotel, upon check in i was greeted by the friendly staff! I had booked a King Ocean view Room, and they upgraded my room to a King Ocean Front room for no apparent reason. The staff was so friendly and nice. I recommend this hotel to any one and i will be back in the near future and this was my first stay at any Howard Johnsons, and it really made my stay pleasurable. There were a few minor issues with my room, like the bed post was unattached from the bed and the stopper on the sink didn't work and i notified the front desk and these issues were corrected right away.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank eclipsed00d
Reviewed 14 April 2011

We got a great deal on this hotel during our cheer competition at 79 dollars a night. Initially our room rate was 109 a night, but I went on their website and saw they were running an April special and called the hotel to honor the rate. THAT was NOT a fun experience for myself or any other parent who stayed there from our team. The front office was rude and annoyed that we would ask for the rate. I was one of the lucky ones who they honored the price for, some were NOT so lucky and did not get the discount.
They told you that you had to book through the website, BUT the website did not honor the special either!

If I could give this hotel a word of advice it would be two things: REMODEL your entranceway that the customer has to come into from the parking garage. It is close to the indoor pool area and it smells musty and seems dingy. It doesnt feel CLEAN and you automatically have a "Why the hell did I book here" mindset when you go into the elevator to the main lobby.

Second thing would be to REMODEL your lobby. I swear it feels like a cave and it is so dark that my thoughts were that you really couldnt tell if it were clean or not...everything was dark brown and black. ITS THE SHORE! Lighten it up! Put some natural wood tones in there, or lighten up the walls. THIS REALLY TURNED ME OFF.

I was pleasantly surprised by the wonderful staff at the front desk who were AWESOME and when we ventured up to our rooms and opened the doors, I was VERY HAPPY in the fact that they were recently remodeled. They arent the Hilton by any means, but a clean room for a stay at the beach. Our front door did stick a lot, and the bathroom door knob was very loose, but overall a decent room for 79 bucks. Also, the bathroom IS TINY! I wouldnt stay there for more than a long weekend.

I wouldnt stay there again for a longer family visit because there are just too many other hotels who have better reviews that I would want to try. If they clean it up a bit in the main areas I may stay next year for cheer.

The indoor pool IS COLD AS HELL

Thanks!

Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank jenks0718Magnolia
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Room was clean and comfortable. Check in and out went smoothly, and staff was friendly. The Serta mattress was obviously new, however there was no mattress pad under the fitted sheet. Since the mattress still looked so clean and new I only took away one star, but they really need to add mattress pads to protect the mattresses, and for sanitary reasons too. If a sheet gets wet, even just a spot, the moisture will go right into the mattress.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple