Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel - Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #12 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Cambridge
“Ocean City”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

The room overall was nice. The hotel ground floor could definately be a little less shabby. The hotel is old, and shows it's age. Breakfast as an added feature would be nice, as there was none offered at the hotel we stayed.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Our stay was from June 25, 2013 until June 27, 2013. We'll start with the bad first before moving on to the good, so read the whole thing. It does get better.

The Bad: The elevators seem to be in need of some major updating. The doors will close on you and seem to lack the safety feature/censor of opening back up if the doors come in contact with an object. The wall between the bathroom and bedroom seemed like it was duct taped and painted over. It was very spongy, and if I had wanted to, I could have put my whole hand through it. The walls also felt sticky, like they had recently been painted, or it may have been the humidity. There was also something splashed on the TV screen. The bathroom looked like it had been hastily remodeled, and no tub; shower only. Also, DO NOT EAT at the Brothers Bistro, the restaurant inside the hotel. Absolutely horrible service and no customer service skills whatsoever. My wife ordered an NY strip steak with a side salad, daughter ordered chicken fingers and fries, and I ordered the crab cake sandwich. Wife's salad arrives along with my daughter's entree and my entree. No steak. Oh, and I had a bonus item on my plate: a hair! Brought to the attention of the waitress...oh well, she doesn't care. Nothing she can do about it. It could have been one of my hairs. (My head is shaved!) We are done eating and my wife has no steak. Since the waitress wasn't coming to me, I go to her. When I started to complain, she says the kitchen is backed up. (There were maybe 2 other tables besides us.) And the 2 kid-chefs in the kitchen turned around and started laughing at me. At that point, I lost it. I said bring us our check sans steak and we're leaving. Then she wanted to plead with me to take and pay for the steak. Um...no dice. No thanks. Don't want the extra special sauce you're going to add to it now. So...in a nutshell, the restaurant is horrible! Skip it!

OK Now the GOOD: We arrived at 10:30 AM, well before the designated check in. Plan was to park in the hotel garage and head to the beach until check in. First, I wanted to stop at the front desk and make sure it was OK to park. The very kind woman says yes it is, and let me just check on your room, it might be ready. Lo and behold it was ready, and she allowed us to check in four hours early! Awesome! Our room was clean, with an abundance of pillows. AC blew nice, cold air. Fridge and microwave were both clean. We didn't know we'd have a balcony, which was very nice! Our "no view" room actually did have a view. Stepping out on the balcony and looking left, we had a very nice view of the ocean. The hotel is right on the boardwalk, which was so nice to just step out of the building and onto the beach. We would stay here again, just not eat at the restaurant!

Room Tip: Every room has a balcony. Even "no view" rooms have a view of the ocean if you look right...
Annapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We enjoyed being right on the boardwalk. It was easy to walk where we needed to go. The overall condition was average. It was clean with some upgrades. Themini fridge and microwave were also covenient. We will stay again.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson