“Very Pleasant stay”

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel - Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Our first visit to Ocean City, Md., and we had a very nice time thanks in part, to the wonderful, friendly, helpful staff at this Hotel. We had a son coming home on leave from the military, had to change the reservation, which was done with no problem. We arrived in the morning well before 3:00 check-in but we were allowed to use the parking garage (which is 5 stories,very convenient)
and the very nice woman at the desk took my phone# and called us when our room was ready for early check-in. The view was great, the room was clean and pleasantly furnished with fridge, coffeemaker,iron,hairdryer,microwave etc. Everything you could need. No outdoor pool but there is an indoor one. Just a great place, right on the boardwalk and we will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean front or Ocean view.
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel - Ocean City Oceanfront

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We weren't able to get in the room because the door handle was put on upside down. The room wasn't very clean. Holes were in the sheets. And we paid for ocean/ boardwalk view and got the view of seagulls on a roof. We could see the beach if we stood up, however if you sit you can't. The water would only stay warm for a few showers and then we had to wait. The AC wasn't very cooling. Elevators took a long time. If you want ocean/ boardwalk view, don't stay on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 31 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I am a TripAdvisor fanatic so I want to add to your decision making. I was very please with all aspects of my stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza. Great location. The front desk ladies were very helpful and friendly. My room was clean and the side view from balcony was good. I slept well, nice and quiet in my room 513. The housekeeper even made me a little paper rose! We ate at the onsite restaurant and it was good. They let my family play cards in the restaurant one evening when it wasn't too busy. I did not try the indoor pool, but it looked nice. They have a parking garage which was very convenient. And as I am handicapped and use a mobility scooter I was glad I could easily maneuver through the hotel. I will be back!!!

Room Tip: My room was 513, clean and quiet with plenty of space.
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was a decent place to stay during our recent trip to Ocean City. The location was great: right on the boardwalk with easy and quick access to the beach, but not in the middle of the busiest and loudest parts of the boardwalk. We had a balcony with a side view of the ocean that was pretty nice. The room was certainly spacious, though the bathroom was too small. My biggest issue, however, was the overall cleanliness of the room. We were particularly put off by the smell and the air quality. From the moment we stepped into the room, it smelled musty and moldy, and the air felt dense. We opened the balcony door and let the room air out for about 3 hours, but there was little change in the smell. I called the front desk and, although they were quite pleasant, they were of no help. The hotel was booked and so there was no place else to move us. They sent a manager up who could not locate the source of the smell, and so there was nothing he could do to fix it. So we had to return to this damp and musty room every night of our trip. Additionally, if I walked around the room barefoot (which is common when it's summer and you're in a beach town), I noticed the soles of my feet would get uncommonly dirty very quickly. I just didn't feel like the room was clean, and I am not someone who typically fixates on these kinds of details. We tried to use the pool one of the days we were there, but walked out after a few minutes because the pool was full of sand from the beach and looked like it hadn't really been cleaned in some time. Overall, the room rates were decent for the location. The size of the room was good and the staff was pleasant. The facilities, however, were not all that clean and comfortable, hence the three stars.

1  Thank calliroi