“Location, location, location. The views are fantastic. Great for families.”

Castle in the Sand Hotel
Ranked #16 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Easton, PA
“Location, location, location. The views are fantastic. Great for families.”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We have stayed here on 3 occasions. We could go somewhere cheaper, but you get what you pay for. All staff are warm and gracious, from the front desk, housekeepers, servers, breakfast buffet staff, and bouncers. (I hope I didn't leave anyone out). The numerous daily kid activities kept my children busy, happy and entertained. Free face painting, hat and necklace making are great ideas. It keeps us parents from going up to the boardwalk every night. Happy hour was a blast at coconuts, my hubby and I had so much fun, we are still talking about our time there. Great deals from 5-6pm. Breakfast buffet, Omg, you can't beat it, they have everything covered (except hard boiled eggs), and I am not holding that against them. They have movies once a week with popcorn, awesome time. Now the room- we stayed in Waverly castle (our personal favorite)it was clean, the bed was comfortable and they provide so many pillows. They have kitchenettes that are complete with everything you need. Hair dryer, iron, ironing board, towel drying rack. The view of the ocean was awesome from the 5th floor, there is nothing like waking up having your morning coffee watching the dolphins go by. The food at coconuts grill was fantastic. We had many meals on their patio. And I want to tell the housekeepers to keep up the great work, all you have to do is ask, and you shall receive, and promptly, too. Can't wait to go next week!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Harrington, Delaware
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Castle in the Sand in Ocean City, MD is a wonderful place to bring the family. Their pool is one of the best you will find, and Coconuts Bar and Grill has the best food and great entertainment. Don't miss this place!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Ocean View, Delaware, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Plenty of family oriented activities such as the Mermaid show, pirate days (buried treasure) face painting and Lady J to recruit the kids. For adults they have a great volleyball layout where you can participate or just drop by to watch. A huge Olympic size pool and the beach is BEAUTIFUL. If you decide you want a beach day, the waiters will COME TO you for drink orders - sweet! I love the daily entertainment from 1-5pm which keeps the vibe going all day, lots of great local entertainment. You HAVE to check out the Tipsy Tuesday happy hour...its the best around!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Loved the hotel, rooms were clean and staff was great. I will be returning next year, and recommending hotel to family and friends. The daily entertainment by the coconut lounge was very nice and relaxing. Food was very good.

• Stayed August 2013
Monroe, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I just came back from your hotel, a day early i might add, because the weather was crappy today and the thought of being stuck in our disgusting room with our 3 kids who were also happy to leave didn't even cross our minds! After reading comments on this site i was under the impression that this was a nice hotel that was renovated and clean. What a misconception! We had an efficiency that was a nice size for our family of 5 but totally outdated and dirty! The ceiling fan in the bathroom looks like it was never ever cleaned, there was an inch of dust on the furniture my 3 year old wouldn't even take his flip flops off the use the bathroom because the floor was dirty! The stove had rust on it I wouldn't even think of using it! The first morning we were there my husband went to the dungeon to get us coffee and told me he will never eat anything from this place. It looked and smelled like a 30 year old kitchen! totally disgusting! So needless to say we couldn't take advantage of eating in our hotel at any point during our stay! Yesterday we were out of our room at 9, i put the maid sign on the door and when we came back from the beach at 2 our room still wasn't touched! I called down 3 times and finally by the 3rd time someone answered the phone and i told them we needed towels and our room cleaned. An hour later she came which meant we had to leave again after we were just on the beach with 3 kids for 5 hours and needed showers so she can "clean" our room. When we came back 2 hours later there was still sand on the floor, our toilet wasn't cleaned the coffee pot wasn't cleaned and there was no new coffee, it was still a mess! The beds were made and there was towels in the bathroom, we probably could have waited for her outside the room that's how much time it looked like she must have spent in there. My husband went to the office and there were several other people there complaining that their rooms weren't cleaned in 2 days and they were misconceived that they were getting a new room and it was old and dirty! So we were not alone. We saw one of the maids in the hallway and asked her if they clean the floors and she said no they give the rooms a quick vacuum thats it! We asked her if after she took a shower does she like to step on a dirty floor and she just looked at us! My husband finally got 3 days off of work and wanted to take a relaxing trip with our family and this wasn't what we had in mind at all! Your hotel ruined our vacation! I wish I would have seen these other negative comments on here soomer because we would have never stayed here!

Room Tip: don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer T
Pine Bush, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Overall a good place to stay but I have to agree with Tommydic68 review! My family was at the hotel for a week and spent several dollars for meals and drinks. One day we had a $500 dollar tab for happy hour/ dinner. However our last day we went to happy hour with the gang which was 16 people and were harassed by one of the bouncers for not buying enough drinks and taking up tables ( mind you we only used 2 tables as not everyone was sitting). I would like to know what the job description is if the bouncer? To my knowledge they are generally suppose to ensure that no one under age is drinking and that no one gets out of hand a drinks too much. I have to say that on the second part of the description they failed since one girl had to be taken by ambulance. If we experienced this attitude earlier I would have been completely turned off from spending my money at the bar especially since there are other options on the strip. Management may want to speak to their bouncers so that they understand how to treat guests at the hotel which are spending $300+ a day to stay there not including meals and etc. Attitude not appreciated especially since vacation does not come around over often. I also stayed in room 4005 which smelled like Ravioli sauce. I had the cleaning people spray but it did not last. I used Febreeze and several perfumes to mask the smell. Luckily we were not in the room that much. The kitchen area needs a thorough cleaning. I also found that maid service was not thoroughly done every day. A little disappointing considering the room was outdated. I heard other rooms were renovated and I would like to see before I made decision to stay there again. The rest of the staff was helpful and nice overall. I thought the food was pretty good as well. Just a few hiccups but overall a nice time!

Room Tip: Check the renovated rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Our family has been staying at the castle for about 7 years now religiously and absolutely love it! The pool is huge with an awesome diving board - the staff is always helpful and freindly and the atmosphere is great! But this year was "different." I would say the 'payload' of non- guests at happy hour in Coconuts is a downer for paying guests. It's always been a hassle we have all dealt with but this year was horrible. The 15 minute lead you give your guests at 4:45pm is not mearly enough - we barely get one round of drinks ( how about a seperate line for "guests only." Make us feel special and appreciated for our dedicated patronage at the Castle.) the lower restaurant bathroom we use while dining and drinking at Coconuts was simply disgusting from your non- guest Happy Hour drinking crowd. And to ID me at your Coconuts bar after I had been having cocktails all day at YOUR bar then Happy hour begins and we get carded is simply ridiculous - I'm staying here with my family and paid for it! Who carries their ID in their bathing suit? I'm staying at your hotel - why do I need to be carded and walk around with a wrist band like at a night club - I'm 44 years old! If your going to allow the drink crowd there at least clean up the hurricane damage afterwards for your Hotel guests and diners of Coconuts. My 18 yr old son is a life guard where we live and couldn't beleive the guard staff hanging at the corner table instead of sitting at their posts safeguarding the guests who were swimming- scary! The bouncers in Coconuts were drinking alcohol and "groping" on other staff members- really??? The back patio is beautiful and a great place to have you're morning coffee, view the pretty flower garden etc. a but can we first get it cleaned up? The last thing I want to look at is empty alcohol bottles and cups with a sticky patio smelling of booze at 7am. The maids "placed" the garbage bags draping over the cans - can they open them and put them in? The coffee pot was dirty on arrival as well. Sweeping the sand from the floor was never done in our room. What's up with the "towel shortage" as the maids claimed? If I ask for a few extra can I get them??? Housekeeping is included In our stay in the Castle South. I still love you castle and will give it another go in 2014. It feels as if you have gotten very "loose" with the staff and ground maintenance. Hope you get it back on track!

• Stayed July 2013