“Perfect location!”

Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Perfect location!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed in an oceanfront room in the Waverly Castle. The convenience to the beach is unbeatable. If you choose a first floor room, you can walk through your sliding glass doors onto the sand. However, the view of the ocean from the first floor is blocked by the sand dunes. We chose a higher floor for the view of the ocean. Our room was very spacious. The onsite restaurant, Coconuts, provided beach waitresses. We had Mahi Mahi tacos (which were fantastic!) and pina coladas on the beach. The pool was very nice. There were several items which could use improvement, but they were minor enough that I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to a friend. The items that I felt could use improvement are: the restroom at the pool could use a good cleaning, the bathroom sink in our room didn't drain well, and while we didn't hear noise from other rooms, we could hear noise from the hallway outside our room and doors closing. Overall, we had a wonderful stay and will be back.

Room Tip: Waverly Castle - first floor to be able to walk out of your room onto the sand, or a higher floor fo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jmac4
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thanks for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed yourself. You are correct, the mahi tacos are amazing. We appreciate your kind words as well as letting us know where we can improve and make your stay more comfortable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've been coming to OCMD my entire life. Literally - my grandparents bought a condo at Sovereign Seas when my mom was pregnant with me (right across the street from Castle) and I've never missed a summer in OCMD. Usually I stay at their place, but I had a group of 6 friends and didn't want to impose on my grandparents. I've become familiar with the Castle as it can be seen from their balcony and always looks so fun. I've spent many afternoons at Coconuts and I've even stayed there before. I love the "theme" they have.

Everything was pretty good for our stay from Friday - Sunday. Here are some pro/cons.

PROS:
- Amazing view. We stayed in the Oceanfront North Suites.
- Big room. We had a bedroom with two queen beds, a full kitchen area, and a living room with a pull out couch. There was plenty of room for all 6 of us.
- Friendly staff. I asked to check in early and although my room wasn't ready they took my cell number and called when it was. We were able to check in at 2pm instead of 3pm. I also locked my keys in my car when I went to the beach while waiting to check in and they were helpful through that. Basically, very pleasant and fast service.
- Coconuts is always so fun. It's the only block of the beach where you can indulge in some alcoholic beverages - if that's your thing. You can either walk up to the bar or have one of the cute waitresses deliver you food/beverages. We had some drinks and a chicken bacon pepper jack wrap while waiting for our room. Delicious.
- Pool. We didn't have a chance to go in but it's really nice. Not many hotels in OCMD have pools because of how close they are, so this is a nice add-on.
- LOCATION. This is the perfect area for a group or even families looking to be surrounded by a lot to do. You aren't too close to the boardwalk, but you're close enough. I think it's the best street in all of OCMD.

CONS:
- It was NOT as clean as it should've been. My group is mid 20s and we wanted a weekend of drinking and relaxing. We don't expect anything 5 stars or super fancy and spot-free. However, we paid $900 for only two nights, our room should've been cleaner. There were stains everywhere and I only showered once because the bathroom really grossed me out. There was hair in our drain when we arrived. I felt as though the bedding was more gross than a normal hotel. It wasn't enough to deter us, but I was disappointed that we put out so much money and couldn't receive a nicer room. It was also pretty out-dated but I know they just updated the Waverly towers, so maybe the North Towers will be next. I will say - I stayed here two years ago (a group again) and I don't recall it being as gross but it was only for one night.

All in all, I'd probably stay at the Castle again. You can't beat the location and overall it's nice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Courtneymsp9
Thanks for the review and thank you for pointing out some good things as well as areas that needed improvement during your stay. We are sorry if you felt the bathroom was not clean enough. We would have been happy to re-clean anything and everything. We apologize for your inconvenience. We are happy that you would return to us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My fiance stays at this hotel every year for the car show in May. This is my second time that I have stayed there. Our stay was very pleasant with a few exceptions, the people above and below us were very noisy and there was a lot of banging and at one point I was worried someone was going to come crashing through the floor. I know it's not something management has control over and I don't think it should effect the rating. The views from the back were absolutely amazing, I loved waking up in the morning and sitting out back enjoying my coffee while looking at the ocean. The staff was very friendly and took care of anything that we needed. Everything in the room was clean, the updates to the kitchen were very nice, the bathrooms are still a little dated and could use a makeover, there were some water marks/stains on the ceiling but it wasn't a huge issue nor enough to reduce the rating. We will continue to stay at this hotel every year for the car show.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom level don't have a good view of the ocean due to the sand dunes, so if you w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. We have been doing extensive upgrading the past few years and hope to continue renovations to make your stay more comfortable. We are happy you want to stay with us again! Thank You.
Chesapeake City, Maryland
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My Husband and I stayed on May 26-30th for Our honeymoon. We wanted to go some where Eles after we got married, but we paid for our own wedding, so we decided to stay closer to home , that fit in our budget. To our surprise It was really lovely! Upon our arrival the staff and management made us feel a warm welcome. We were taken by the Beautiful view from our balcony. I was pleased to see how clean everything was. Then the management sent a bottle of wine to our room! What a classy thing to do! That made me and my husband feel like we made the right choice. Our whole experience there was so nice. The Staff and management could not be friendlier:) We loved it so much, We are coming back in July!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear sammy7039,
Thank you so much for the great review and congratulations on your wedding. It was our pleasure to include some wine to help you celebrate. The Castle is a great place for newlyweds. We are happy you enjoyed the views and your stay. Please come back and see us again soon.
Bob Borello, GM
Reviewed 29 May 2014

It was a fantastic visit to Ocean City for the few hot days in May. I was lucky to stay in the Waverley castle, in the ocean view room. Few days were worth a month of vacation. Quiet, clean room and hallways, friendly staff. Ocean, sand, fresh air, view from the balcony - a package beyond expectation!
Thank you for your hospitality!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank SvetaFromPotomac
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thanks so much for your kind words. We did many improvements to our Waverley Building this year. We added new furniture as well as new bedding. We are happy you enjoyed it. Please come back and see us again soon.
Bob Borello, General Manager
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Went to the beach without a reservation and stopped at this neat place. Was shown a very nice room over looking the ocean and we were sold. Gave us a great price and we stayed for 2 nights and had a great time. The Coconuts outdoor bar was not open yet but looked like it would be very inviting. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: All rooms seem very nice but loved the rooms overlooking the ocean
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gmac1800
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thanks so much for the kind words. We are so happy you found us and enjoyed your stay. Please come back and see us during Coconuts season! We know you will enjoy the cool drinks, live music and great food as a compliment to your room. Thanks again, we look forward to your next visit.
Bob Borello, General Manager
Pequannock, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Came here with my young family and all the hotel did was complain about my children "ruuning" through our room. After all was said and done, they said there were 2 people staying below us that were looking to get some money off of their bill. One time the staff came to our room to tell us about noise and we were out for the evening. They accused us of not answering the door. I never will go back!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family