“We were pleased with our room.”

Castle in the Sand Hotel
Ranked #23 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hoping to extend our shore vacation by one day due to pleasant weather, I decided to check out some on-line booking engines and found a good deal for a one night stay (Monday) on bookit.com for Castle in the Sand. The rate was for a "city view" room, and because of a few poor reviews here on TA, I was not sure what we would encounter since it was a discounted room / hotel consolidator deal. Well, we were very pleased. It could have just been the "luck of the draw" and being a Monday, but our room was very nice. We were on the 5th floor of the North building. Our room did indeed have a "city view" but it over looked the bay to the West, so this was pretty nice.

The positives:
1). The room was very clean. Our room was decently soundproofed as well, and we slept well.
2). The bedding was quite nice / almost "upscale" and very comfortable. There were a variety of pillows and they were quite comfortable.
3). Small fridge in the room, decent sized areas to stash our stuff (a shelf above the closet).
4). Everything in the room worked well (flat screen t.v ., the lighting, wall mounted A/C unit, etc.
5). The Castle in the Sand is direct oceanfront. The 1st floor rooms will not have any view due to large dunes, but it's almost like you have an outdoor patio with lounge chairs if you stay on the first floor; patio door opens direct to a brick "patio like" area.
6). Coconuts beach bar & grill is SO MUCH FUN! Really ......! They have live music everyday (and every performer I have ever heard here (maybe 10 times) has been quite good, especially if you like "oldies" and "classics". Coconuts has a famous Happy Hour from 5:00-6:00 p.m., when drinks are two for one. If you are lucky enough to have snagged a table by 3:30-4:00 p.m. the waitresses will do all the hard work for you during Happy Hour. The food at Coconuts is also pretty good, and almost everyone should be able to find something from the menu to eat.
7). Very large outdoor pool, and it appears to be well maintained.
8). All the personnel are friendly, even the super busy, happy hour bartenders (who REALLY deserve applauded for efforts during Happy Hour ....... clap/clap/clap!!)
9). The shower at the pool has HOT water!!
10). The beach area in front of Castle in the Sand can be quite packed during full season, but the beach is nice and wide and drink &/or food orders are delivered right to the beach by Coconuts waitresses if you want something.

The Cons:
1). Only one elevator in the North building and you can wait a LONG time at check in time (3PM) due to the fact that housekeeping also uses this elevator and lots of other folks may be trying to use the elevator to get their stuff up to a higher floor. There may only be one elevator in all the buildings - I don't know.
2). When you exit the elevator, there is a small hallway/vestibule between the elevator door and the hallway to the rooms. You exit the elevator and then approx. 6 feet in front of you is a glass door that must be opened by pulling it open towards you. This vestibule serves a purpose in isolating the hallway where the rooms are from elevator and ce machine noise, and the stairwell, but there really should be an electronic, sliding door here. It is a struggle to get thru there with a bunch of luggage.
3). While they have provided a changing room near the pool, the stairs down to this room is steep and could be hazardous.

We were pleased with our visit and if I am ever fortunate enough to get a last minute, on-line bargain room rate again I would not hesitate staying here again.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, request 2nd floor or higher. I think only the OF rooms on the 2nd and 3r...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nittfan
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thanks so much for the extensive review. We appreciate you taking the time to do so. Thank you so much for the glowing “positives”. We do understand about the elevator and the door opening to the 4th and 5th floors. The electric door is a great idea. Perhaps something we should investigate. Thanks again.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Castle in the sand is your average hotel. Here are the perks: location, beach waitress service, fun bar, live music, pool, pleasant staff, clean although aged, food, secure and safe, smelled fresh, comfortable beds, quiet at night!
Areas of opportunity: Water temperature and drainage in the
shower need to be improved. Bathrooms could be updated. Outlets could be more numerous and less loose. Linens could be improved especially the bed comforters. The breakfast buffet is minimal.
Overall,We would stay again. Very comfortable and super fun atmosphere.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Heather H

Thanks for your review. We have to disagree that our hotel is average, for just the reasons that you state. We look forward to returning and hope to improve on our average opinion of us.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Castle in the Sand! Plenty to do on premises for young children, especially with the huge pool, beautiful beach & free kids activities daily with lady Sunshine & lady J! Room well-kempt & newly remodeled. Location perfect. Staff very friendly & accommodating. We will definitely return next year!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan H

Thanks so much for the review. We think The Castle is a special place for kids. Lady Sunshine and Lady J are the best. Our guests can enjoy them Sunday through Friday from 2 PM until 6 PM. She offers a variety of activities for kids from facing painting to storytelling. We look forward to your return. Thank You.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed in an oceanfront room in the Waverly Castle. The convenience to the beach is unbeatable. If you choose a first floor room, you can walk through your sliding glass doors onto the sand. However, the view of the ocean from the first floor is blocked by the sand dunes. We chose a higher floor for the view of the ocean. Our room was very spacious. The onsite restaurant, Coconuts, provided beach waitresses. We had Mahi Mahi tacos (which were fantastic!) and pina coladas on the beach. The pool was very nice. There were several items which could use improvement, but they were minor enough that I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to a friend. The items that I felt could use improvement are: the restroom at the pool could use a good cleaning, the bathroom sink in our room didn't drain well, and while we didn't hear noise from other rooms, we could hear noise from the hallway outside our room and doors closing. Overall, we had a wonderful stay and will be back.

Room Tip: Waverly Castle - first floor to be able to walk out of your room onto the sand, or a higher floor fo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmac4

Thanks for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed yourself. You are correct, the mahi tacos are amazing. We appreciate your kind words as well as letting us know where we can improve and make your stay more comfortable.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've been coming to OCMD my entire life. Literally - my grandparents bought a condo at Sovereign Seas when my mom was pregnant with me (right across the street from Castle) and I've never missed a summer in OCMD. Usually I stay at their place, but I had a group of 6 friends and didn't want to impose on my grandparents. I've become familiar with the Castle as it can be seen from their balcony and always looks so fun. I've spent many afternoons at Coconuts and I've even stayed there before. I love the "theme" they have.

Everything was pretty good for our stay from Friday - Sunday. Here are some pro/cons.

PROS:
- Amazing view. We stayed in the Oceanfront North Suites.
- Big room. We had a bedroom with two queen beds, a full kitchen area, and a living room with a pull out couch. There was plenty of room for all 6 of us.
- Friendly staff. I asked to check in early and although my room wasn't ready they took my cell number and called when it was. We were able to check in at 2pm instead of 3pm. I also locked my keys in my car when I went to the beach while waiting to check in and they were helpful through that. Basically, very pleasant and fast service.
- Coconuts is always so fun. It's the only block of the beach where you can indulge in some alcoholic beverages - if that's your thing. You can either walk up to the bar or have one of the cute waitresses deliver you food/beverages. We had some drinks and a chicken bacon pepper jack wrap while waiting for our room. Delicious.
- Pool. We didn't have a chance to go in but it's really nice. Not many hotels in OCMD have pools because of how close they are, so this is a nice add-on.
- LOCATION. This is the perfect area for a group or even families looking to be surrounded by a lot to do. You aren't too close to the boardwalk, but you're close enough. I think it's the best street in all of OCMD.

CONS:
- It was NOT as clean as it should've been. My group is mid 20s and we wanted a weekend of drinking and relaxing. We don't expect anything 5 stars or super fancy and spot-free. However, we paid $900 for only two nights, our room should've been cleaner. There were stains everywhere and I only showered once because the bathroom really grossed me out. There was hair in our drain when we arrived. I felt as though the bedding was more gross than a normal hotel. It wasn't enough to deter us, but I was disappointed that we put out so much money and couldn't receive a nicer room. It was also pretty out-dated but I know they just updated the Waverly towers, so maybe the North Towers will be next. I will say - I stayed here two years ago (a group again) and I don't recall it being as gross but it was only for one night.

All in all, I'd probably stay at the Castle again. You can't beat the location and overall it's nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Courtneymsp9

Thanks for the review and thank you for pointing out some good things as well as areas that needed improvement during your stay. We are sorry if you felt the bathroom was not clean enough. We would have been happy to re-clean anything and everything. We apologize for your inconvenience. We are happy that you would return to us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My fiance stays at this hotel every year for the car show in May. This is my second time that I have stayed there. Our stay was very pleasant with a few exceptions, the people above and below us were very noisy and there was a lot of banging and at one point I was worried someone was going to come crashing through the floor. I know it's not something management has control over and I don't think it should effect the rating. The views from the back were absolutely amazing, I loved waking up in the morning and sitting out back enjoying my coffee while looking at the ocean. The staff was very friendly and took care of anything that we needed. Everything in the room was clean, the updates to the kitchen were very nice, the bathrooms are still a little dated and could use a makeover, there were some water marks/stains on the ceiling but it wasn't a huge issue nor enough to reduce the rating. We will continue to stay at this hotel every year for the car show.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom level don't have a good view of the ocean due to the sand dunes, so if you w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. We have been doing extensive upgrading the past few years and hope to continue renovations to make your stay more comfortable. We are happy you want to stay with us again! Thank You.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My Husband and I stayed on May 26-30th for Our honeymoon. We wanted to go some where Eles after we got married, but we paid for our own wedding, so we decided to stay closer to home , that fit in our budget. To our surprise It was really lovely! Upon our arrival the staff and management made us feel a warm welcome. We were taken by the Beautiful view from our balcony. I was pleased to see how clean everything was. Then the management sent a bottle of wine to our room! What a classy thing to do! That made me and my husband feel like we made the right choice. Our whole experience there was so nice. The Staff and management could not be friendlier:) We loved it so much, We are coming back in July!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear sammy7039,
Thank you so much for the great review and congratulations on your wedding. It was our pleasure to include some wine to help you celebrate. The Castle is a great place for newlyweds. We are happy you enjoyed the views and your stay. Please come back and see us again soon.
Bob Borello, GM