Hoping to extend our shore vacation by one day due to pleasant weather, I decided to check out some on-line booking engines and found a good deal for a one night stay (Monday) on bookit.com for Castle in the Sand. The rate was for a "city view" room, and because of a few poor reviews here on TA, I was not sure what we would encounter since it was a discounted room / hotel consolidator deal. Well, we were very pleased. It could have just been the "luck of the draw" and being a Monday, but our room was very nice. We were on the 5th floor of the North building. Our room did indeed have a "city view" but it over looked the bay to the West, so this was pretty nice.
1). The room was very clean. Our room was decently soundproofed as well, and we slept well.
2). The bedding was quite nice / almost "upscale" and very comfortable. There were a variety of pillows and they were quite comfortable.
3). Small fridge in the room, decent sized areas to stash our stuff (a shelf above the closet).
4). Everything in the room worked well (flat screen t.v ., the lighting, wall mounted A/C unit, etc.
5). The Castle in the Sand is direct oceanfront. The 1st floor rooms will not have any view due to large dunes, but it's almost like you have an outdoor patio with lounge chairs if you stay on the first floor; patio door opens direct to a brick "patio like" area.
6). Coconuts beach bar & grill is SO MUCH FUN! Really ......! They have live music everyday (and every performer I have ever heard here (maybe 10 times) has been quite good, especially if you like "oldies" and "classics". Coconuts has a famous Happy Hour from 5:00-6:00 p.m., when drinks are two for one. If you are lucky enough to have snagged a table by 3:30-4:00 p.m. the waitresses will do all the hard work for you during Happy Hour. The food at Coconuts is also pretty good, and almost everyone should be able to find something from the menu to eat.
7). Very large outdoor pool, and it appears to be well maintained.
8). All the personnel are friendly, even the super busy, happy hour bartenders (who REALLY deserve applauded for efforts during Happy Hour ....... clap/clap/clap!!)
9). The shower at the pool has HOT water!!
10). The beach area in front of Castle in the Sand can be quite packed during full season, but the beach is nice and wide and drink &/or food orders are delivered right to the beach by Coconuts waitresses if you want something.
1). Only one elevator in the North building and you can wait a LONG time at check in time (3PM) due to the fact that housekeeping also uses this elevator and lots of other folks may be trying to use the elevator to get their stuff up to a higher floor. There may only be one elevator in all the buildings - I don't know.
2). When you exit the elevator, there is a small hallway/vestibule between the elevator door and the hallway to the rooms. You exit the elevator and then approx. 6 feet in front of you is a glass door that must be opened by pulling it open towards you. This vestibule serves a purpose in isolating the hallway where the rooms are from elevator and ce machine noise, and the stairwell, but there really should be an electronic, sliding door here. It is a struggle to get thru there with a bunch of luggage.
3). While they have provided a changing room near the pool, the stairs down to this room is steep and could be hazardous.
We were pleased with our visit and if I am ever fortunate enough to get a last minute, on-line bargain room rate again I would not hesitate staying here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Premiere direct oceanfront family resort with desirable location on two blocks sun-kissed beach. Guest amenities include free wireless internet, Olympic pool with diving board, sand volleyball court, beach equipment rentals on-site, free kid’s activities, and live entertainment daily in season. Beach House dining offers a la carte breakfast and buffet breakfast daily. Coconuts Beach Bar offers open-air beachfront patio dining. Waitress service on our beach and pool deck. Take A Dip Ice Cream Shop open Memorial Day thru Labor Day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Castle in the Sand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle In The Sand Hotel Ocean City
- Castle In The Sand Ocean City Md