“Nice Hotel, NIce Pool and great location”

Castle in the Sand Hotel
Ranked #17 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice Hotel, NIce Pool and great location”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was my first time staying in Ocean City, Maryland. I stayed at this hotel for 5 days, 4 nights. When I arrived, my room was ready, which was around noon. That was great The front desk management was very nice. Waiting for the only elevator to take our luggage up to our room was a bit long. When we arrived at our room (in the North side, oceanfront), I was a bit disappointed. This hotel is very old, needs some maintenance. My first impression when I walked into our room was, what a very tiny bathroom. And very outdated. The toilet seat had 2 black marks (scratches) on it and was very annoying because I always thought something was there. Actual room was acceptable but very pricey. I have stayed at the Jersey shore for years, and never spent as much on a room, even for a weekend in mid July.
Coconuts is the Bar/Grille on property and was nice. Did not eat at the buffet, it is in the basement of the hotel and not alluring. Pool was nice as well. Overall, was a nice place but a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view of the ocean. When checking out, I mentioned the small bathroom and...
3 Thank Barbaram612

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Allentown PA
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here for 4 days in late June. Beautiful weather and the beach and hotel were packed. The room was comfortable and had what we need. I booked a beachfront penthouse room but with only 4 floors, the view was lovely, but penthouse might be stretching it.:) The desk staff was efficient and quick if not overly friendly. The location was great for beaching, but a little far from boardwalk. We visited the breakfast buffet one day, but didn't go back. Food wasn't very good and much of it wasn't ready or available when we got there (past opening time), but our waitress was a nice girl and helpful. The biggest issue we had is they advertise wi-fi so my husband assumed he could tend to some business while there. We ended up having to wander around the property with his laptop trying to find a spot where we could sign on. It continuously faded in and out. They should consider upgrading the system. Overall, I'd go back to this hotel again. The pluses outweighed the minuses.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aeh_07
Locust Valley, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2014

From breakfast buffet to late night drinks, everything and everyone was just right. Jeff and his staff (Joe, Patricia, Brandie, and all the servers) were sooo accomodating to me and my kids. Drinks served on the beach was such a nice extra, and the girls who served them were delightful. We ate lunch almost every day on property, and were on a first-name basis with everyone by the time we left!

Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here just for a long weekend and we reserved probably one of the more expensive rooms to have a beachfront room. Balcony was very small and no screen door, so not really able to leave the door open and enjoy the sound of the ocean. The rooms were nice enough but the décor is very old. For the rate we paid (more than $350 per night)--I had hoped for somewhat of a nicer room, but I think this is common for Ocean City. Also, we asked for an early check-in, while understanding that is not a guarantee, we were told the people had checked out of our room around 9:00 AM, but our room was not ready until 2:30 PM. Should be a simple enough task to ask the maid service to go clean a certain room, for an early check-in request, especially if the guest is staying in one of the more expensive rooms and made the early check in request early. The next day we came back from the pool & beach around 2:30 PM and our room had not been cleaned. The maid was right next to our room and we asked if they were going to clean it now, as the baby needed to take a nap..I offered if you could clean it now that would be fine, or you could come back in 2 hours. She said that the night maid would take care of it then--our room was never cleaned. Not a big deal overall but again, I think if I were her, I would have pulled the team together and had them jump in and just clean the room quickly. Always better to come back from a day at the beach to a clean room.

The front desk staff and waitresses were all very nice and attentive. The bar/restaurant is very busy for lunch and hopping at night as well. Loved hearing the music while we ate lunch or dinner, but by later afternoon/night time, the bouncers come out and card even families as you walk through the area as there are so many young people (as the manager told us--many underage) that come here to drink. I think they should simply ID people that order drinks, but they shared that they can't take chances so everyone, literally everyone, is carded and has to wear a wristband if drinking...made our family kind of feel we were in a college/fraternity party, but it was ok for that beach environment. You also have to walk through the outdoor restaurant/bar area to get to the pool area and my 16 year old daughters were asked every time they went to the pool..."Are you drinking today?" Just felt overall a bit strange.

I would recommend this hotel if you are going with other young couples, just want to have fun and not too concerned about a modern room. I think families traveling with teenagers and a toddler may have better options such as The Grande, where I've stayed before and the Hilton but it is very expensive even for a Hilton.

Nice enough, fun environment, but I give it an overall rating of a three star hotel with some areas that need improving and could move up in ratings with some modernization to the rooms and service.

Again, nice enough stay overall.

Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is an older hotel, but the location is awesome, direct beach access, parking, private beach bar with live music and happy hour, restaurants, pool, and very friendly helpful staff. The front desk was helpful with recommendations for local favorites and directions, vehicle was secure, and the room was very nice. It was obvious that the place is maintained. We got an ocean view room and were able to see the dolphins frolicking from our windows. The hallways were a little worn, but I didn't spend much time in them. The restaurant with the breakfast buffet had a lot of food, but wasn't really that good. The beach bar was a fun way to relax and spend an afternoon. The housekeeping staff were kind and efficient.
I stayed away from the dune level rooms because there was no view of the water, but after being there and seeing them, I would rent one for a return trip, they had nice front areas with outdoor seating, which would have been nice. With the beach only a few steps away, it is easy to see!
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ssilvaggio
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thanks for the review. We take great pride in our staff being the friendliest around. We are so happy that you found them to be just that. Our oceanfront rooms do provide a great view and the dolphins are often an added treat. Thank you again for the kind words and we hope to see you again soon.
Bob Borello, General Manager
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I chose this hotel after reading trip advisor reviews. I knew, going into it, that it was ranked 20th and that only 72% of reviewers gave it thumbs up. However, I read through the reviews carefully and noticed that those reviewers with families liked it. So, after thinking of my vacation needs, I took the plunge and booked it for my husband, myself, and two of our grandchildren (aged 10 and 11). I knew right from the beginning that it wasn't going to be right near the boardwalk so I was disappointed that we either had to walk a long way or take the car to that location. In fact I was happy about this since I didn't want my grandchildren bugging me to keep going back to the boardwalk instead of focusing on the beach and pool. I also knew it was an older establishment so I wasn't expecting lots of electrical outlets (as someone else complained about) or newly decorated rooms. The one thing that I did want was a large room overlooking the ocean with a balcony for my husband and I to enjoy as the grandchildren watched TV in the evening. So I booked a 5th floor room in the Waverly building. Upon arrival we were welcomed very nicely and given our keys. Yes, the facility is dated, yes, there could be some renovations, but overall I was pleased with the cleanliness and very pleased with the location and fun atmosphere. I almost felt as though I was on spring break in Miami Beach, but in a more controlled, very secure location that was suitable for families. My grandkids enjoyed eating at the Coconuts Bar and Grill (part of the hotel complex) and listening to live entertainment. They also enjoyed the great outdoor pool manned by lifeguards, and my husband and I loved the beach and watching the parasailing from our balcony. Finally, I would like to add that the staff was tremendous. Everyone of those we met, from housekeeping staff to wait staff to security staff, were pleasant and accomodating. I would return to Castle in the Sand Hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: Be sure to make your preferences and needs know when you book so that the reservation staff can help...
3 Thank Bee53
Thank you for the kind review. We appreciate you taking the time to write. Indeed, we are an older hotel. That is not a bad thing. Our hotel opened in the late 50’s so we have been providing pleasant vacation experiences in Ocean City long before not only Trip Advisor, but the internet as well! We really believe there is a lot to be said for being around awhile. We are family owned (the same family that opened The Castle) so we also understand the importance of being a good place for families. Add this to the extensive renovations we have done to make our guests' stay more comfortable and we think we have a winning formula. We hope to see you again soon.
Bob Borello, General Manager
PA
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have stayed here at least 1 time a year for the last 8 years and love it.. the staff is always friendly and very helpful views are wonderful and rooms are always clean with everything that you would need

Room Tip: love the North Suites 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank karen411
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you so much for the review and for your continued patronage. We have many guests who stay here year after year and we really appreciate you trusting your vacation to us!