“Do not stay here” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Westchester Cty, NY
“Do not stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

We arrived late at night and my husband had been led to believe we would get one of the suites that had the wood furniture - an update room. However, we had only two choices when we got there and my husband went to look at both to choose. Well, he told me that the first one that was an upgrade was digusting - not clean, had a TV that was 19" or smaller - very olf. The second room was dirty and the front desk person went to clean the mirrors as they had some stuff on them. Well after seeing my husband's face, I went to look myself. The room was gross - did not smell clean, had stains all over the carpet, the mirrors had been cleaned by then. There was no way that I would spend the night there especially with my kids. I had no certainty that they had cleaned the rest of the room. It was incredibly outdated. Additionally, there were teenagers and young adults roaming around everywhere and coming in and out of rooms. I doubt that there is quiet there. Thankfully, they let us out of our reservations and the person who cleaned the mirrors was very sweet. However, never again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mariabriarcliff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2009

This is the perfect location for a family beach vacation. The hotel is right on the beach, only a few steps away. Many rooms overlook the ocean. We stayed there with our teenage kids for four nights and were very pleased. Our room was a suite in the north building (the lower 3 floors have a balcony, but be sure to stay on the second or third floor to get a view of the beach). There were two beds in the bedroom, then a full kitchen, and finally a full living room with a foldout sofa overlooking the ocean. The main problem was that the air conditioning unit is in the living room and the cool air has trouble making it to the back bedroom. We bought a small table fan to blow the cool air in, and that helped.
The hotel is older and clearly gets a lot of use but our room was clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a restaurant with a buffet. The breakfast buffet was OK but I wouldn’t recommend the diner buffet. Instead, eat lunch or diner at the beach bar. There is live music every afternoon. The Olympic size pool is very nice. We would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank giant57
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my family in June and we had a great time! We stayed in the Waverly building and had a fantastic view from our balcony! Our son, for some reason, was very intriged by the decorative ivy that grows up the side of the building! Our room was nice and clean and had a little kitchen area which was perfect for us because our son is a picky eater. There were a good bit of high school age kids at the hotel, but that is because it was Senior Week in Ocean City so there were kids everywhere in town and we expected that. They were ok though and we had no trouble with them..we were kids once too. :) The staff was really friendly...one evening when it was rainy, we went into the office to borrow a dvd, which was free, and the guy working at the desk was really nice and even offered some suggestions on what movies he thought our son would enjoy! Overall, this place was great and affordable for us. We loved the beach service because we did not have to drag our son back and forth to the deck area because they delivered our food to us right on the beach. Also, it was like 2 steps to the beach when we left the hotel building. We didn't use the pool because we would rather sit on the beach but it looked beautiful! Only thing that we didn't like was the bit of rain...but nobody can control that but mother nature...we did have some sun though too! We love ocean city and have stayed at many places but so far this is our favorite by far. We will definitely be back!

1 Thank Veronica099
Odenton, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

The Castle in the Sand has a wonderful marketing company. Their website and brochure are great , unfortunately for travellers the pictures and information presented in teh borochure have little to do with reality. I know it is hard to read through everything, so I will simply list pros and cons
Pros: Oceanfront properity, eacy beach access, nice flower plantings

CONS: OLD keys used with the result that some people actually get locked IN their rooms (the people next to us did during our visit),
the "amenities" listed are really such as , for example, the patio and Volleyball court were booked by private groups for several days during our stay, so they aren't rally "amenties" for guests, in the brochure they mentioned wait service onthe beacdh in front of the hotel, and if it was there, I certainly didn't see it.
The elevator broke down, and we learned that this happens at least once a week
My three year old found a used condom on the hotel grounds sidewalk at around 9 am
The hotel seems to cater to partiers and there was a lot of drinking and drug use
The maids did their best I think, but the rooms themselves have simply a nastiness to them. For example, while our sheets were clean, the mattress itself emitted a foul odor

The hotel staff tried to put everything back on us, as if we were to blame. They say ontheir website they have children's activities "in-season", so I called before booking to see when that was and I was told by mid-June. So June 15th, during our stay there was no children's activities and would not be until June 22. I complained and was told that "mid-June" is an "ambiguous" term. I told them it wasn't. Eventually he hotel agreed we could "try and find somewhere better", however given that it take several days for their refund of our remaining days to transfer back toour bank, we were kind of stuck.

1 Thank Ladymaryland2009
TAKEATRIP1
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2009

We arrived slightly early and had no problem checking in. When we got to the room we were a little disappointed at how the room looked compared to the pictures. The pictures must have been taken when the units were brand new. After reading the hotel rules about noise disturbances not being tolerated at all, I was surprised to be kept up half the night, nightly by screaming, partying kids staying at the hotel. Although we felt mislead by the online pictures, and let down by the hotel not enforcing their rules to make for a peaceful stay, the view and location helped us enjoy the stay. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful. There was one lady who seemed to be miserable, but luckily I didn;t have to deal with her. If you are a healthy eater it might be hard to find places to dine in ocean city. There is a great new place across the street called the Toucan. They have some healthier options and will modify your order to suit your dietary preference. Take care!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TAKEATRIP1
North East, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2009

I was very disappointed upon arrival at this hotel. The room did not look much like the online picture. It was dark, dingey, and dated. There were drop-ceiling panels dangling precariously in the bathroom. There was hardly any natural light, so it felt like a cave. The a/c unit is only in the very front of the room, so the bedrooms in the back were stuffy. The couch and beds are not the most comfortable. And we could hear every little noise in the rooms beside, above, and below us. On the plus side, the pool was nice and so was the view. When I mentioned my complaints to the front desk manager, he didn't have a thing to say. I expected a little more for what we paid.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

We just spent three nights in Ocean City at Castle in the sand. We checked in late (around 11:30 pm) with absolutely no issues. We we got into our room, we were delighted to discover that we had an unobstructed ocean view, which was very nice. The rooms are fair sized and very clean but definitely not luxurious; but with the ocean view I gave them a 4/5. There is a nice outdoor pool and bar that has live music during the afternoons. For the amount we paid, this hotel was an amazing deal. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple