“partially updated room, polite staff, but noisy”
Review of Cayman Suites

Cayman Suites
Ranked #20 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 5 September 2012

check in and reception, housekeeping staff were polite. nice welcome note and coupon for next booking, and a kite for the kiddos on the table in the room. parking is free. walk to beach, stores, restaurants, bus stop same block. it is an older cinder block structure. new carpet, fresh paint, furniture. bathroom was outdated, discolored, old fixtures, but clean. except for grout in corners of floor. they have stated they will be renovated this winter season. matresses had plasticy cover on them, but pillows had no protector so it smelled of other peoples head sweat. we always bring our own thank goodness. kitchenette is very small, cooking pans were cheapest quality. nowhere like a cupboard or shelf even to put grocery supplies. no drawers for silverware. coffeemaker was a tiny one cup camping one, but coffee for free in lobby. microwave was very outdated. no breakfast incl. did not use pool. could not use couch (it was new and clean) in living room area as a bed or to sit and relax on because there was no insulation between neighboring room walls and we could hear every whisper, burp, bodily function and conversation/movement of next room. there is a TV in bedroom we had to use so there was no battle of volume levels. hope to get polite mannered neighbors. they could update doors, the current ones must be hollow. there is a door separating living/bedroom. the sliding glass door to balcony is the original heavy cheap kind that is not even double insulated against heat/cold/UV elements let alone noise. noise ratings are relative, but this is like camping next to highway. yes i knew when i booked that this hotel was located on coastal highway, but assumed it would at least be insulated doors/glass! balcony rail slats looked too far apart and unsafe for younger than a 4 year old, so did not use balcony.

2  Thank butterfly_happy
MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Thanks for all your positive and negative feedback. We just recently began using the trip advisor link on our thank you letters to guests. The first couple of reviews last week suggested to me that I should remove the link. However, you, thankfully, were full of constructive ideas and shared with others that we are constantly buying new and planning to replace old. We do look forward to having you visit with us again.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I do a great deal of traveling and we decided to do ocean city a week before the holiday, so now there is no wonder why this Hotel was not sold out when everywhere else was.
The tub and bathroom was not clean, luckily I travel with disposable cleaning items and had to do house work away from home (on vacation).
The Refrigerator had rusted shelves and looked like nothing I wanted to put my food in and was not set in place properly.
There was only one flat screen tv in the living area- guess the upgrade did not extend to the tv in the bedroom (it was outdated).
I'm used to a continental breakfast at the very least and at the prices we paid we were not satisfied with the all day coffee. Heck, I don't even drink coffee.
My suggestion would be for the Hotel to invest in Umbrellas to accompany the chairs and towels they provide for the beach and to allow as many chairs and beach towels for all that are in your room. We were a family of three but were only allowed to get two towels and two chairs.
I noticed from some of the other Hotels, they provided their guest carts to push their belongs to the beach area. Instead of having to carry in hand like we did.
I'm also used to a business center or access to a computer. When I went to the front desk to ask the attendant to go on line and let me know how far an establishment I was looking for was from where we were - he was very hessitant and uncooperative as if that was not a service he provided.
I put terrible as the rating for the Restaurant below (that wasn't accurate because there was none on the premises) there was no option to put n/a.
We made the best of our summer ending vacation but I doubt if I would ever stay here again.

Room Tip: Hotel was pretty quiet for the most part. Our room had a connecting door but was not a connected Su...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Terri L

We are a 57 unit hotel with kitchenettes. We do not have a stainless steel commercial kitchen that health departments require in order to serve continental breakfast. Because we have the kitchenettes for guests to prepare their own meals, we do not have sufficient guests to make a food service facility and/or bar profitable even if we had the space. We are fortunate to have a variety of eating establishments within walking distance.
Until the summer of 2008, we furnished umbrellas with our 2 beach chairs and towels. We were delighted to offer them as a complimentary courtesy to our guests. However, more than one guest was irresponsible in placing the umbrella properly in the sand. Wind blew off the ocean and unsecured umbrellas with "Cayman Suites" inscribed on them struck bathers on the beach.
Fortunately, no one was seriously injured. As a responsible owner, I had to reconsider the umbrella liability and decided to discontinue them. In a previous review, a guest appreciated the use of the chairs and towels. The most recent chairs have straps to use as a back pack. We have a houseman clean sand off the chairs each evening and launder the beach towels. I truly believe that most guests think we are doing something good!

Reviewed 4 September 2012

This was our 2nd time staying here. Loved it so much the first time we had to return. Suites are nice with a kitchenette. Stayed there with 3 children and never felt crowded. Fitness room is a great bonus and the kids liked hanging in the game room. Anytime we stopped by the front desk they were always pleasant, always had a smile on their face and just wanted to ensure we had a good time. Location is great - less than 2 minutes to walk onto the beach which was great if anyone needed to run back to the room. Room rates are extremely reasonable.

Room Tip: All rooms are suites which is such an added bonus when traveling with children.
1  Thank jill v
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We have been staying at Cayman Suites for our summer vacation for over 10 years. It is not the fanciest hotel you will ever stay in, but it meets our needs. As a family of 5, the size of the suite works well for us and we love the indoor pool. It is well-located near some of our favorite restaurants and the park. The staff is friendly and the owner is genuinely interested in giving her guests a great stay. Each year they improve something (this year it appeared to be the HVAC unit in the living room). And the summer suite package is a great deal in Ocean City. We look forward to returning next year.

1  Thank longostein

Thank you for sharing your comments. When my children were growing up we were also a family of 5. Therefore, I know with two double beds in the bedroom and sleep sofa in the living area, the suite will accommodate 5-6 guests. I appreciate your pointing out that we offer affordable 3, 4, and 5 night packages all summer. We look forward to your family visiting us in 2013!

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I'm begging you, do not stay or even consider going near this "hotel". Me and my family would actually prefer sleeping in our car, atleast there isn't mold growing on every inch of the walls. We came to ocmd for a week, stayed in a best western. It was 180 a night, included breakfast, and was suprisingly clean. We then decided to extend our stay 2 nights, and wanted to treat ourselves to a luxury stay. We decided for 250 a night, this place would be emaculate. This place was also advertised to have breakfast, which was a prime selling point because we liked to eat a big breakfast and buy a big dinner. No breakfast. Oh well. Atleast the room should be nice. We opened the door, my brother started crying. It may seem over the top, but it was really that bad. Mold and dust everywhere. Opened the microwave, a complete stench hit our faces. It was the worst stay of my life. The beds sucked. The ONLY somewhat good part was the tv. Please. Please. Do not go here.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank reviewer1590

Thank you for visiting Ocean City, MD. I am glad you enjoyed your week at Best Western as they do have a nice property. Of course, I am disappointed that you did not feel the same about us. I am interested to know what website says that we have breakfast. Not knowing exactly who you are, I think you booked through Orbitz and breakfast is not on their site. Our hotel is NOT equipped with a facility to provide food service. We offer a "Weekend Duo" package that includes a dozen donuts from the Fractured Prune and another package that includes a gift certificate to Dumser's Restaurant. That, to my knowledge, is as close to breakfast as we get!

Reviewed 28 August 2012

If this hotel had been advertized as a crack house I would have been less surprised when we entered the room. For the price, however, we expected a lot more. We didn't want to let our baby crawl around on the floor, and in the bathroom floor there were hairs from all parts of the bodies of previous guests. I didn't take a shower, as I felt that I would be dirtier afterwards. We had booked for three nights and were told there would be a king-size bed, which there wasn't. The manager was extremely helpful and friendly and upgraded us for the night. We checked out early the following morning and went to the Holiday Inn Oceanfront where we had a much better experience.

Room Tip: Go to the Hoiday Inn instead.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Fortunately, when guests like a hotel, they can praise the front desk clerks, housekeeping staff, beach chairs & towels, 2 TV's, indoor pool, etc. Unfortunately, when guests are not happy, they can criticize grumpy desk clerks, bad housekeeping staff, slow elevator, etc. Our goal is to offer clean, affordabale suites to couples and families. If you do not choose to be our guest, we at least want you to be a satisfied guest in one of the hotels in Ocean City, MD.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

When we get to the hotel it looked a little smaller then the pictures online. I had to ask the woman at the front desk, where was the front desk; being that it look like we walked into a back door that would lead to the pool. After she let us know that we can sign in for our rooms there, we did. I thought it was a little weird that they asked me to pay up front for the stay, but I went with the flow. At this point I was tired, ready to take a shower, eat and sleep. I went upstairs to our room, and then the drama begins.

The place look nothing like the pictures online. The coach look like something they took out the garbage with a hole on the arm and black stains. The black stains look like a running theme through out the room that needed a fresh coat of paint. The bed looked okay, until my sister found holes in the sheets. I went downstairs to explain to woman that we have problems in our room that was far worst then the two iron burns on the rugs. She said that she would give us another room. Of course, at this point we just want to leave but thought it could not be this bad. We looked in the second room to find mole in the bathroom. When we came back to say it is over, we can’t stay, we was told by a man who says he is not the manager that we could not get a refund. That is right, no refund and he was serious. My sister was getting angry and I was just to tired to. So I looked for my phone to call my credit card. By the time I came back from getting my phone out of the car, the woman at the front desk said that the owner would give us back our money. But we lost the 25 dollar cancellation fee. I know, I could have fought this and paid nothing. But at that point I was in a strange place and what seem more important at the time, was finding a clean place to lay for the night. We got our things and bolted out of there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

The lady that assisted you at the desk is the wife of an Ocean City photographer (family, commercial & aerial photography). Her husband photographed the interior and exterior of the hotel last fall and we changed our internet photos at that time. She called me at home and stated you were not happy with the hotel and she was struggling to please. I asked her to refund you the amount of your full stay less our usual 5 day out cancellation fee of $25. Perhaps I should not have been so accommodating.