“NOT WHAT WE EXPECTED”

Coastal Palms Inn & Suites
Ranked #72 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 20 August 2013

This hotel is a DUMP........It's dirty a needs immediate updating. My wife & I had a two week reservation at Coast Palms. We checked in on a Wednesday and out the next day. There are 3 different ratings on the Internet. Hot Wire. Com, our booking agent, rated the place between 3 & 4 Stars. No way, perhaps a 1 star at best!!!!!!!! Our room #303 was horrible and nothing like the professional photos we viewed prior to booking. .

I hope this review will assist you with your booking, If given the chance I would avoid Coastal Palms entirely. On an up note, the ocean was nearby. That at least was accurate.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank T B
carouselresort, Manager at Coastal Palms Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear valued guest, we do apologize for your stay and hope we could have addressed any specific issues you may have had in your review. We must dispute the comments about our rooms. The photos on the website and affiliate booking sites are quite accurate considering all of our rooms and room types are exactly as they appear in the photos. This is the exact way one would find any of our rooms upon check in. Each room is cleaned, sheets changed, floor vacuumed, vanity wiped down, disinfected and inspected prior to check ins. Our staff is polite, courteous and knowledgeable and are happy to assist our guests in any way to make their stay more pleasant and enjoyable. The Coastal Palms is part of the Carousel Group and adheres to strict guidelines and standards. We do offer the Carousel Group vacation package including discounted dining, free beach chairs, discounted ice skating, live entertainment - two blocks away, free family photo night and more. We do hope your next stay in beautiful Ocean City exceeds expectations.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I booked the hotel about 2 months ago through Expedia because it was a pet friendly hotel. I called the hotel to see if we could check in early, but found out we did not have a pet friendly ROOM. Apparently they only have 6 rooms and they don't release them to Expedia so we have no place to stay! But the worse part of it was the Carousel reservation staffs attitude because I used a "third party vendor" to book the room, "I should have called the hotel directly to book a pet friendly room" What???? How would I have known that? The CAROUSEL reservation staff person was a total jerk! He had obviously dealt with this problem "all the time"! How in the world was I supposed to know this? He was totally indignant! He told me to call "Expedia" as if it was a bad word, to cancel my reservation!

To the manager of Carousel reservation department:
I run my own business and if I ever talked to my customers with the attitude that I received from your staff, I wouldn't have a business! Here is an idea go read the book about how the Ritz handles the customer experience, your might actually learn something!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank murphJV

Dear valued guest, we are incredibly sorry for the issue you had with Expedia. Unfortunately, as you had stated, Expedia is an affiliate vendor of our rooms and we cannot be held responsible for their shortcomings. You are absolutely correct, we do receive this problem regularly and encourage our customers to book directly through our reservations staff. We cannot apologize enough for the manner in which you claim our reservations staff handled the issue, we will be addressing this problem immediately and taking further action to assure you this will never happen again. We will be clarifying this on the website that these rooms are only available through The Carousel Reservation hotline. We apologize for your inconvenience and hope we can earn your business in the future. Thank you again for considering our hotel as your vacation accommodations, we hope to see you in the future in beautiful Ocean City, MD.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

A read all of the reviews on this Hotel and to be quite honest. It was actually nice. The rooms were clean and the bathroom was clean. It didn't smell. I did not see any mold. If you're looking for a hotel like the Four Seasons, than this isn't it. It's also not a dump. I would definitely stay here again. First of all, we're not ones to spend a lot of time in the room anyway, as long as there are not bed bugs, the sheets are clean, the room does not have an odor and it's just you and the girls, or you and your significant other, this place was perfect without breaking the bank. So yes, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Without breaking the bank, this hotel is just fine!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear valued guest, thanks so much for choosing The Coastal Palms for your girls getaway vacation! You are absolutely correct in your review, we do not advertise ourselves as the four seasons. The Coastal Palms Hotel offers clean rooms, sheets, a friendly staff and the Carousel Group Vacation package. We are located in a great location and are perfect for anyone traveling on a budget whom wish to get the best value on that budget. Thanks again for being our guest, we can't wait to have you and the girls back for another vacation!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

My family stayed at this hotel August 2-4, 2013. The beds were stained and one had plastic on it. The sheets were dirty. I had to get clean ones from the office which were stained also. The room was above the restaurant and it was very noisy until to 2AM . The toilet did not flush properly. We could have stay at a five star hotel in Washington, DC for the price we paid for this dump!!! Save your money do not stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Nasty rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GayleS304
carouselresort, Manager at Coastal Palms Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Dear concerned guest, the issues in this review have been disputed. We change out the sheets after every reservation, and the maintenance issues would have been a simple fix if a member of our friendly staff were to have been notified. We would have been happy to accommodate you in a different room considering your dissatisfaction. We have worked hard to upgrade all of our rooms, beach house, banquet space, lobby and amenity package. We do offer more amenities than any other hotel in our class. We offer free beach chairs, family photo night, movies on the beach, a swimming pool, camp carousel, discounted dining and much much more. Thanks again for being our guest, we hope you give us the opportunity to earn your business back in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I have never written a review about a hotel before but for this hotel I definitely won't miss an opportunity to warn people.
PLEASE SEE MY PHOTOS
1) way over price for despicable room that we had... I paid almost 3 TIMES the amount than I paid in downtown DC for a 4 star (hotwire)
2) the hotel bedroom was old, dated, stained and the drapes were yellowed
7) the shower valve was falling out of the wall and doesn't shut off fully
8) their was rust inside the fridge
9) our boxspring had a large black and brown stain approx 2 feet x 2 feet
10) carpets were dirty

PROS
1) we checked thoroughly for bedbugs but thankfully we didn't find any
2) close to the beach

PLEASE SEE MY PHOTOS

I want you to know that I stay in 3 star hotels all the time and I wouldn't give this hotel anything more than a 1 star. I was enjoying my 1 year anniversary with my wife and I wasn't expecting this. One thing I've learned... make sure you do your homework.

I will be making a formal complaint to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Andrew L

Dear concerned guest, we do apologize for your stay. Our prices are extremely competative in Ocean City, especially for the amount of amenities included in your stay. The Carousel Group Vacation Package offers discounted dining, free beach chairs, free family photo night, free nightly ice shows, movies on the beach and much more.

The drapes you had mentioned are a year old, and are in fact yellow. We can understand your concern and would have hoped to move you to a different unit to address these issues.

These issues are currently under review by our management team and will be dealt with in accordance to our policy adherence and quality code.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had checked into another hotel down the road and promptly left after an issue with the rooms. We were stuck in OCMD with no place to stay. After hours of looking for an open room we found Coastal Palms and the young woman behind the counter was very kind and understanding trying to find us a room in our budget. After having a horrible experience at the SUN TAN motel we had asked if we could see the room prior to purchase. WIthout batting an eyelid the young lady said "sure thing" and asked for an ID to hold. The room was VERY clean and at a great price. The elevators are a little on the dirty side and you do have to get ice from the front desk (to keep people from filling coolers and leaving no ice for anyone else), If you can look past those few things you'll enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: 5th floor will give the best ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 123ALEXD

Dear valued guest, thanks for the great review! OCMD is a great place to get "stuck" in, and we're so happy you had the opportunity to stay with us in beautiful uptown Ocean City. We have worked hard to make sure your vacation is a memorable one, and we can't tell you how much we love the positive feedback. We hope you find your way back to get "stuck" in OCMD again in the near future! Thanks again for being our guest, and thank you for the great review.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

we had to stay for 5 nights, couldnt checkout early. didnt like that had to pay in full when booking. balconies all connect so no privacy at all. a little lattice or something else would have been nice. had to ask for ice daily at front desk since no ice machines. pool so very very small. room could have been cleaned better. didnt feel like vacuum was ran during my stay. bathroom floor was constantly gritty. couch was flithy dirty and smelled. staff was super nice and made all feel welcome. good location although the ocean view not the best. plenty of parking. would not stay there again as it needs some major updating.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank diane m

Dear valued guest, thank you for your stay and thank you for your review. We do state in the initial process of booking your reservation that we have a no early check out policy. Any changes must be made 72 hours prior to your arrival, we apologize for any mis communication. We do admit, our pool is on the smaller side, but it is a great added feature to any hotel and the size of our pool is proportionate to the amount of guests we accommodate.
The Carousel Group took over management of the Coastal Palms in 2011 and has continued to renovate and expand on our amenities and appearance. Each room has been individually renovated, along with the Beach House, Lobby and conference rooms. We have recently added the Carousel Group Amenity package to the stay, which includes free beach chairs, free family photo night, movies on the beach, discounted dining and more! Thanks again for being our guest, we hope to have you again during your next beach vacation.