“The day after" bitten all over" left the hotel”

Princess Bayside Beach Hotel
Ranked #66 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Columbia, Maryland
“The day after" bitten all over" left the hotel”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I stayed at the PBBH for the last three years when attending the MSEA convention. It is clean, accessible and to my knowledge free of bugs. The hallways smelled very fresh and the rooms were very nice with tempurpedic beds. The TV's are definately outdated but who goes to the beach to watch TV anyway. The view alone is enough for me, What a sunset......I also liked the fact that a security guard roamed the area in the evenings, which made us feel very safe. I suggest Ms. Itchy and Mr. Scratchy. her husband, consider closing the screen when napping. Mosquitos are usually out until the first frost hits, and if I remember correctly, it was very warm that whole week. Either way, I love the place and would recommend it for three reasons, affordability, location and very friendly staff. They have my vote for a good place to stay when in OC.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sue B
Ray R, General Manager at Princess Bayside Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Thank you for your comments and acknowledging our friendly staff and clean Hotel. We have installed new 32" LCD TV's in all of our Efficiencies and updated to 27" TV's in all standard rooms. We look forward to your return in 2013.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
York, PA
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I arrived at the Princess Bayside at 8 a.m. and met my husband outside so that we could go to the convention center. I didn't actually go inside our room until 5 p.m. I took a nap. After an hour, I awoke and started to get dressed. I noticed bites and swelling under my breasts, upper belly and back. That evening, we came back to the hotel and I dressed for bed and lay down to watch TV. I fell asleep and several hours later awoke due to itching all over. I had bites from my head/neck down to my knees, all over my back, stomach and belly. I also had bites all over my arms. We notified the management and they came with flashlights to inspect the mattress and bedding. Like us, nothing was visible to the naked eye. Since the mattress, box spring, headboard, and linens are all beige (the same color as a bed bug) nothing was immediately visible. They transferred us to another room, but I think I may be been bitten more there. The next day, my husband took me to the ER at Atlantic General Hospital. The diagnosis: multiple insect bites. They really couldn't do anything for me they said and sent me on my way without a prescription or anything. The hotel front desk manager made copies of the report from the ER and comped us one night due to this ordeal. She also let us briefly use one of the rooms so that my husband could apply calamine lotion to all the bites all over my body. I was and am still in so much pain and discomfort. My lips and eyes are even swollen now. Benydryl helps a little bit, but only lasts for a few hours. Aside from the bed bugs, the hotel and it's furnishings are very worn, outdated, and drab. How can I say things were clean when I was bitten up by bed bugs? The bathroom was adequate, but they need to get rid of the ruffly pink shower curtain and just stick with the white liner. I feel like I have been in bad 80's horror movie.

Room Tip: I would recommend that you get a room where they have the new Tempurpedic beds. Those might not be...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bittenatthebayside
Ray R, General Manager at Princess Bayside Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
We wish our guest a speedy recovery and hope she is doing well now, but after several thorough inspections by myself, hotel staff, and Terminix we found NO bed bugs or evidence of activity in the room. The room was immediately taken out of service until our pest control company gave us the all clear to use the room. Our rooms are constantly being check for any pest activity and we would not knowingly rent a room with such issues.

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 October 2012

stayed there four days for my sons wedding..bayside wedding on the beach..bad storm, very bad...finished the wedding under an overhang of the backside of the hotel..service was great, but dont plan a wedding in the rain...not good idea...accommodations were very good..

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank EatteryAdvisor
Thank you for having your sons wedding and room block for the guests during your special event. Wish the weather could have been better, but glad you were please with the Hotel. Please visit us on your next trip to Ocean City. We wish the best for your son and new bride!
California, Maryland
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I had previously stay here. The room was clean and the bar and breakfast were great. I was very disappointed this visit because of the following: (1) I recommended this hotel to another couple that we travel with because of the bar and breakfast. The bar was closed and the next morning no breakfast was served. (2) The hotel bill board reflected open bar and breakfast served at 7.
(2) The staff in the morning told to go next door for breakfast in which we did. Their breakfast was terrible and over priced. (3) The hall going to our room had a bad ordor.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patrick M
During the fall season our Restaurant is open on a limited schedule during the weekdays Monday to Thursday. We resume full service on the weekends. The Restaurant will be closed the end of October until the first of April. Finnigans will be open in March for the St. Patrick's Day weekend parade.
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 2 October 2012

For the price, this room is what you would expect; or what you would at least assume as a minimum. We booked this room on short notice and on a budget.

The room was clean. The beds were okay. Staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful.

The televisions appear to be from about 1999. They really need a tech refresh. Slow wi-fi. In-room (noisy) window air-conditioning units. Also, skip the seafood restaurant on the first floor; there was nothing redeeming about it.

About what you would expect for the price. Overall, a fair deal for the cost. I would have given this 2 1/2 stars if it was possible.

Room Tip: I hear the rooms in the bay side building are a bit newer. That is what I hear at least.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 5cokes
Thank you for your visit with us, look for our TV's being updated in 2013.
Wilmington, De
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We were in town for a wedding being held at the hotel. It was bayside on the beach. They put out too few chairs. If the reception was for 80, why put out 40 for the ceremony. Many had to stand. The rooms in the building by the parking lot were decent sized efficiencies with full refrigerator, 2 full beds and a couch. Also a small balcony overlooked the bay. It was a tired room, but functional and reasonably comfortable. The couch was old and ugly though.
The hotel had 2 pools, a rooftop outdoor one which was large and pretty nice, and an indoor pool, smaller but still pretty nice.
Nothing outstanding, nothing too detrimental about this place. Did not eat at restaurant on site.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank festermatt
Thank you for your stay and comments. The number of chairs at our Wedding and events are determined by our clients. Your comments will be reviewed with the staff. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Ocean City.
Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We have been coming to Ocean City, MD for years now and this is the first time that we have stayed at the Princess Bayside Hotel. Our experience was for the most part very good. Our only concern was that the people in the room next to us we terribly loud, hollowing at each other and playing the TV way too loud. We called the front desk and nothing seemed to change. Our room was clean and the view was gorgeous. Since our son who is 5 is afraid of the waves in the ocean having the private beach area on the bay side was just perfect. The parking was fabulous. I can't really comment about the Fitness Center & Spa listed in this survey because we were NOT aware these facilities were available UNTIL NOW. I wish during check-in that they would have told us about it. But I guess we probably should have asked. So I guess we (myself & front desk person) were both at fault. Overall it was good experience. We will book this hotel next year in only hoping that we will have better next door neighbors. By the way, the beds were like sleeping on clouds. I wish we could have taken those mattresses home with us.

Room Tip: Selecting the 5th floor prevents anyone from being on top of you, so hopefully the noise level is be...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank J B
We appreciate your comment and yes our Temper Pedic mattress in our Deluxe and Bayfront Efficiencies are a big hit! Our bayside beach is a great for families with young children and the watersports offered for all ages. We hope to see your family again in 2013.