“You get what you pay for...”

Princess Bayside Beach Hotel
Ranked #64 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“You get what you pay for...”
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here over the summer for 3 nights. The hotel has two separate buildings. I don't know if one building is more up to date than the other but we stayed at the main building that has the reception area. The other building has the outdoor pool on upper level. I found this room "deal" for $175 per night on Hotels.com. Other sites had this same room for $250. I thought, perfect, what a deal, I'll take it. I wasn't expecting too much as I had read other reviews. Many which were mixed. Well, our room (and it seemed like the entire building) needed major updating. The reception area decor and certainly our room decor were stuck in the 80s! Furniture was old, comforter was thin and had tons of floral peach colors mixed with blues which matched the curtains but it was just not pretty. Looked really cheesy. Bathroom was old. Curtain had mold on very bottom! Outdoor pool was fine. Indoor pool, however, needs some renovations. I had read it's suppose to be heated... well, it wasn't. We had one rainy day there and it was actually windy and cold and the water was super cold! My kids wouldn't go in and usually they'd go in no matter how cold. So our stay there was ok. I guess for the price I got it for during that month and in comparison to all other prices in other hotels for that month, I can't complain much but.... Must say, we loved the location. It's not close to boardwalk but beach area cross the street is great and we were really happy there. We felt no need to be near boardwalk.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank AracelyCF
Ray R, General Manager at Princess Bayside Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank you for choosing the Princess Bayside for your recent visit to Ocean City. We will share your comment with the staff. The indoor pool is heated and maintained at 80, during the summer often the water temperature rises above 80 and the pool heater is then turned off. We hope you return to the Princess Bayside on your next visit to Ocean City.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Ah, Princess Bayside. Good memories from our stay for a family affair in 2010. So when we had the opportunity to spend another family vacation in Ocean City, we booked a room here again.

I booked an efficiency that I thought was bayfront but had just a sideline water view to the right. The view was of the building nextdoor. I thought the price was very low for a water view room, so that was my mistake. But their were more problems with the room. The closet door was off its track. The room likely wasn't vacuumed or the carpet was really old. The internet was pretty much useless since it was very hard to log in and then it was extremely slow. We called the front desk and they told us that there were so many devices these days that it could not handle the traffic sometimes. So why advertise free wifi if it didn't work right?

The first day our room was not serviced. We again called the front and they finally cleaned it. We complained again about the wifi, and this time someone possibly addressed it because we were able to access it okay and it was a bit faster. The air conditioner was so loud when it came on that you had to turn up the TV volume if you wanted to hear. Oh, and the toilet under the rim was visible and it was very dirty. The lobby restrooms were very dirty. I didn't use the pools at all because I just wasn't sure if they would be clean.

So, I really wanted to like the hotel once again. They did try to fix the problems that we complained about. And the mattresses and TV were nice. But it was a disappointment. Its possible that some parts of the hotel are better than others. Might try a different hotel if we return to Ocean City.

Room Tip: Be sure if you want that front water view to choose bayfront.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris D
Thank you for returning to the Princess Bayside, we apologize we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. We have worked with Comcast and have upgraded our modem to improve WiFi speed and connectivity. We repeatedly check our pools daily and the local health department checks Ocean City pools on a regular basis which we have received awards for maintaining a clean pool. We hope you choose to stay with us next time in Ocean City.

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times this season and really enjoyed a number of different parts of my stay. Staff was helpful on the phone in booking questions, Website was informative and offered coupons and discounts. Rooms were equipped with fridge and microwave and clean. Staff was always available and helpful. Restaurant has the best Cream of Crab Soup. I am looking forward to staying with them again to get some sun on the rooftop deck with a relaxing drink at the rooftop bar.
Thanks for making my stay enjoyable!

Room Tip: Ask about the Jacuzzi Rooms.....
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank crochetcraftgirl
Thank you for your repeat visits. Its great you enjoyed our rooftop pool and we look forward to your next stay.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have to say I was a bit hesitate booking here after reading some reviews and after spending a week in Antigua in an ocean front room but needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. We booked a bay front efficiency. The view was beautiful, the room was clean and it was roomy for me, my husband and 11 year old twins. Most beach town hotels are usually not as clean as this one. Overall happy with our selection. Close to the ocean and all the broad walk activities and enjoyed the roof top pool.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your visit and comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and hope you return to Ocean City and the Princess Bayside.
West Chester
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I have been staying here annually for a conference, but this was my last stay. Hotel has serious problems. The shower is the biggest issue. The water pressure is low, and made worse by a low-flow shower head. To add insult to injury, the flow self-regulates from low to dribble while showering, and also from scalding to freezing while showering. Tough to rinse shampoo from your hair with dribbles of cold water. The place is really noisy. Even on the top floor the trucks, motorcycles and bus traffic on the Coastal Highway roars in all night. Hall voices carry, and all doors slam with a vengeance.

Poor attention to the rooms meant not enough soap; had to reuse my handsoap in the shower, then housekeeping took that. The bedside clock and lamp never worked. Could never connect to the free internet.

Sorry, Bayside Princess, but our mulit-year tryst is ended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PAMan804
Thank you for your comments and continued patronage. Please consider returning! We recently installed a new tank less hot water system in the building with the standard rooms and the installer is in the process of correcting the water pressure issue. Comcast has just upgraded our WiFi modem which has increased speed and connectivity. Or try our bayfront efficiencies for the best we have to offer.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Average is probably being a little generous but for a last minute weekend getaway at a reasonable price I could've done a lot worse. Let's start with the Pros: LOCATION. Being right next door to Seacrets and having easy access to both the private bayside beach and a block to the oceanside beach I couldn't have asked for much more. Also, the rooftop pool was a nice spot to relax as well. The cons: the older lady that checked me in was quite unpleasant...not a good start to the stay. The decor in the rooms and about the hotel is very dated. This place could be really awesome if given an update. To be fair, the beating the property probably takes from partiers and families on a daily basis is pretty significant. The room could've been cleaner but for the price point it was relatively cleaner than the other OCMD hotels I've stayed at. I had an issue with the shower head sputtering but maintenance took care of it within a half hour, so kudos to them for that. The restaurants in the lobby looked sketchy...plenty of good eats nearby (Belly Busters has incredible fish tacos), except the coffee shop next door, which is no good. You can tell this place was probably one of the nicer hotels in OCMD when it opened...time and wear and tear have changed that, which is disappointing because it does have potential. All in all, I'd stay here again for a weekend with buddies, but if I was going with a significant other or family I'd probably look elsewhere. (Note: I stayed in the "main" building...I haven't seen what the efficiencies in the newer building are like...maybe they're a better option if you're looking for more than just a place to crash)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Adam K
Thank you for your comments. Our bayfront efficiencies offers a spacious option with added amenities such as a balcony with a view of the bay, a fully equipped kitchenette, sofa bed, tempur pedic mattresses, and a 32" LCD TV. Families love our bayside beach and the 48th street watersports rentals.
Reviewed 24 August 2013

All of the drunk jerks stay here, party all day/night at Seacrets, come back and wake up everyone in a quarter mile radius. The trashiest of trash stay here which is a shame since it is a great location with beautiful views of sunset.

• Stayed August 2013
Its no secret and as posted on previous post response, we & Ocean City receive a greater number of guest who frequent the night clubs on summer weekends. We try our best to place guest who are in town to visit the night clubs on floors away from families and those looking for a quieter stay. Week nights are generally quieter and we offer a variety of amenities for families to experience including our two pool, bayside beach, and mid town location. We apologize we did not meet our guest expectations.