“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #18 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This hotel has old world charm and a quaintness that is refreshing in grungy, flashy scene that is Ocean City. The hotel is older but well maintained and is reminiscent of inns and saloons of the past. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous. I was there during the Susan G Kollmen walk and it was so nice to see the hotel and staff decked out in support. The location is ideal, right on the boardwalk, and is close to enough activities while still being away from the crowds to allow for some real R&R. Definitely recommend for couples and weekend getaways. Quarters might be a little tight for families but it depends on your style. I will definitely be returning here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Devon-Elizabeth S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I am very mixed about my stay here. I feel like there was both very positive and very negative aspects... lets put the possitive first.

The property is located on a great part of the boardwalk. I really like to stay between 12 and 16th street because it is where the stores mostly end and then its almost all hotels. The front porch is large and charming with rocking chairs. Its great for people watching. The view from my ocean front window was very nice. It had a fridge which was good. The tv was an older tube style tv but worked none the less. The pool is very large and has a bunch of chairs for sunbathing. The whole place is kept miraculously clean (even with it's age) and there really isnt any sand which is amazing in itself. I purchased the kissable package which included a bottle of sparkling wine 2 glasses with Hershey kisses and a heart in plastic rose pedals on the bed. It was there just as requested which was great!

Whats adverage

Well it is an older hotel which im ok with. The room was remolded and looked pretty nice. However, i think there was something wrong with the ac. It didn't seem to work all that well (had to be on a lower setting or it would shut off after 10 sec.) and it sounded somewhat like a badly tuned muscle car (LOUD). The rooms are small.. which again, i was ok with. The bathroom was particularly small.. but then again im only 4 "11 so to me it wasn't so bad. Unlike other reviews i didn't have issues with the water temperature or pressure. It seemed to fluctuate a bit from hot to hotter but that was it.

The elevator is extremely small as some other posters mentioned.. as well as very slow. It kinda sucked that we were on the 5th floor.. i had to take the stairs numerous times because ppl would take up the entire thing with their luggage... although it wasn't that big of a concern for me.

On to the negative

I guess my #1 and biggest gripe was the bed. Although i think the mattress was new it was hard as a slab of concrete.... which resulted in no sleep on night one and leaving early the next day to go home to my own bed. My #2 gripe is the thin walls... my neighbor had their tv on ALL THE DAMN TIME (which also lead to my lack of sleep) and i could hear all the basey undertones alllll too well. The door would rattle whenever anyone came in or out as well. #3 is the parking. It's pretty far away and confusing to get to. I guess not much they can do about that.

I can't say whether or not i'd stay again.. if not for the awful mattress.. probably.. for the location and the pool. I will have to think about it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BadSatin
Centreville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Went to Harrison Hall May 22-24. Rooms were renovated and a huge improvement from last year. This place is obviously not the Hilton, but I think it's an awesome price for a hotel right on the boardwalk. Front desk staff was very friendly and the lobby area was clean and quaint. We also love their front porch with rocking chairs. Overall very pleased with our stay and will come back again and again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hera I
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 March 2013

While we usually choose more upscale hotels for travel, we find it hard not to go at least once during the season to Harrison Hall, right on the boardwalk. We overlook the tiredness of some of the rooms because of the great prices, the friendly staff, the oceanview porch and sunroom and the good, but very reasonable Italian restaurant below. If you stay in season, you can come back for $10/pp per night in Sept./Oct. What a deal!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elaine k
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The hotel was decent but the price and location are what sold us. My husband and I stayed here twice and we really enjoyed it. The room was a good size, everything was clean and the front porch was so much fun. Staying on the boardwalk you never have to walk far to find some fun, good places to eat, places to shop and of course the beach are a hop skip and jump away. My only complaint was the terrible water pressure but being an older hotel and being on the boardwalk that's kind of normal and not the worst thing in the world. If your on a budget but want a great beach experience... this is your hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank samanthas621
Nampa, Idaho
Reviewed 20 October 2012

My sister reserved rooms for us at this hotel in September, and they were side by side with a door between that we could unlock to make one big room if we wanted to visit. The staff were all friendly and the maid showed us the rooms facing the beach that were empty , and we thought about moving, but we didn't plan on sitting in our room so we didn't bother. This hotel was comfortable, we had 2 queen beds and the decor of the room and lobby was very out of style, but you are probably not at Ocean City to sit in the room or lobby. The front porch was fantastic, with plenty of rocking chairs to enjoy the view of the beach. There is smoking on the porch .There was free coffee, fruit and paper in the lobby, none in the rooms. There was a shampoo dispenser, which was empty and a soap dispenser by the sink. There was a bathroom for use through a side door on the main floor to use while on the beach, which is convenient.There is a pool but we did not use it. There was a bad smell in the bathroom, but it looked clean. i would probably stay here again , it was adequate for our needs.

Room Tip: Try to get an oceanfront room.