“Great Rocking and Porch!!!”
Review of Harrison Hall

Harrison Hall
Ranked #18 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 31 August 2013

my husband and I left the Harrison Hall hotel today 8/30/2013after spending our 5 day vacation there. This has not been the first time we stay here, however this visit was not a good one. My room was extremely humid, my cloths and bed sheets felt very humid all the time, room smelled funny and the mattress is in need of a upgrade. Unfortunately on my last night there my husbands jacket went missing from the room, Overall, the staff are nice, however, we are very disappointed with the room,Sometimes you hate to complain and we put up with the humidity the first two nights, however we could not do it anymore, it was a very uncomfortable feeling being in the room. tHERE was not too much attention put into the fact that a jacket went missing, yes they took the description down and our number, but the fact remains that you stay somewhere and expect to be respected and feel that your belongings are safe, not one apology.....will never ever stay there again, also bathroom extremely small....

Room Tip: do not choose room on first floor, extremely humid. I have been there on second and third floors no...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 August 2013

First, I will say that this is a true review from a real, down-to-earth family. We have a family of 5 (3 young children), my husband has his own, small business and we wanted an inexpensive weekend trip to Ocean City. We wanted a hotel that was directly on the boardwalk so that we could go to the beach and not feel like we had to take everything that we owned there for the day as you have to be prepared for anything when you have small children. We have recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Lancaster, PA and in comparing Harrison Hall to them, it's about 2 steps down on a rating scale - Holiday Inn Express being 10 and Harrison Hall being 8.

I'll start with the first impression: When you pull up you have to find a space near the hotel that allows you 20 min. to unload. We couldn't find one, but we quickly unloaded our luggage into one of the carts on the side of the road and then my husband parked the car in the parking space that was across the street behind the pool. Since we were on the boardwalk this really wasn't an issue because we didn't do anymore driving until we left to go home. The hallways need a new coat of brighter paint and their carpets shampooed or replaced as well as brighter lights. It seemed a bit dim. Keep in mind, however, that this is an older hotel. They have a neat brochure from the 50's framed in the lobby. The staff was very nice and the lobby is quaint and bright with a beautiful view of the ocean. The lobby has small tables and chairs as well as couches, microwave, coffee and hot water and fruit. To save money we brought our own instant oatmeal, bowls, and spoons and made that each morning. We sat at the tables and had a lovely, ocean-view breakfast each day. That was nice!

The room: We stayed on the 3rd floor and had a room that had been recently renovated. It was clean and the decor was nice. The mattresses could probably use an update. They were fine and the linens were clean, but they seemed a little hard. Overall, the room was great though. They could probably use an update to their air conditioners as well - they didn't seem to keep the room too cool, but opening the windows at night kept the room just right. The hotel seemed quiet and we all slept well.

The bathroom in the room: The bathrooms were very clean. They do provide handsoap in a dispenser on the wall and a shampoo/conditioner/body wash in a dispenser on the wall in the shower as well. They do not provide toothpaste, bar soap, or other toiletries that other hotels usually provide. Thankfully we had brought our own, so it wasn't an issue. Keep that in mind if you're counting on them providing that. It also does not have a vent in the bathroom, so after showers the room gets a bit humid.

The restaurant: We were pleasantly surprised at how much food you receive and how good it was! The pricing was reasonable too - we spent about $60 for all of us including tip. There were enough leftovers for lunch the next day. The fridge in the room works well and kept these cool for us.

The pool: The pool was beautiful, well-kept and a great way to get to swim with 3 small children. (We didn't let them go out too deep in the ocean.) There are tables, chairs and loungers around the pool. We ate our lunch one day poolside - it was lovely. Some of the umbrellas over the tables need to be replaced as they are broken, but most are in good condition. There is a small road/alley between the pool and the hotel. You have to remember to keep the little ones close at hand before charging out the door.

Checkout: They allow the guests who have checked out at 11am to stay in their parking lot, use the lobby, use the pool, and get a key to use the showers in the public bathrooms on the ground floor until 2:30pm. I thought this was very nice as we still wanted to enjoy the beach and pool after we had checked out. It seemed so nice to not be kicked out as soon as you're checked out. I was very impressed by that.

Overall - it was a great trip and experience. The hotel was not top-notch, but it was adequate for us to enjoy our weekend at the beach - clean and pleasant. We were able to have a weekend, family-of-five, mini-vacation for about $700 with hotels, gas, and food included. I'd say that was a good deal!

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view room - there's probably a lovely breeze and view.
3  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I read mixed reviews, but decided to read objectively and book this hotel. The price is very reasonable! Yes the room is small, but we didn't come to the beach for the room. When we first went in the room, it did have a stale smell, but after turning up the AC it went away. The room was very clean, there was a full tub and shower, and tile floor, and yes, the grout was clean. The worst part was the bathroom door did not close the whole way, but it was really no big deal, it closed enough so anyone else could not see in. The pool is really big, and clean as well, I saw a man pressure washing the area around the pool. And with that being said, be careful where you park in their lot, you could end up with sandy water spray on your hood. We are kinda fussy with our cars. And the pool has a bar that was open when the pool was busy. I do believe we will be staying here again the next time we are in Ocean City.

2  Thank Susan H
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed the week before 4th of July and had a wonderful time. Our room was a little small but not tiny. The bathroom was a little on the small side but still no big deal. The front porch and rocking chairs are a perfect way to start the morning with a cup of their complimentary coffee watching the surf, beach and boardwalkers. The pool looked wonderful and very large but we didn't use it. We'd rather spend time on the beach. We love staying right on the boardwalk with everything within walking distance. The only time we drove the car while there was taking a drive down the coast into Delaware and taking drive down to Assateague Island. The hotel was charming, clean and very affordable. We'd rather spend the money we saved on other fun things at the beach especially since you're usually not in your room much of the time you're there. We're headed back in October and counting the days!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Katherine0057
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband and I have enjoyed staying in OCMD over the Easter weekend for the last several years, but we hadn't stayed there during the summer months in several years. This year, we decided to do an OCMD trip for our anniversary. After reading a number of reviews and looking at prices for multiple locations, we decided to book Harrison Hall for August 5 - August 8, 2013.

Having read many reviews before our arrival, we had reasonable expectations for this hotel. We found them to be pretty accurate. The hotel has many perks. Located right on the boardwalk at fifteenth street, you are within reasonable walking distance to the inlet and pier, have excellent beach access, and are right in the middle of everything the boardwalk has to offer. One of the unique features of Harrison Hall is the big, southern-style front porch with over-sized, wooden rocking chairs. We found the porch to be a great place to hang out any time of the day or night, and while it was always crowded, we never had a problem getting two chairs together. The big swimming pool in the rear of the property is a nice feature as well, especially with its own pool bar. The hotel is located on the same property as DaVinci's Itlaian restaurant. They served up delicious Italian food in huge portions, yet somehow the aroma of garlic and sauce did not travel into the hotel at all, which was nice. Finally, the staff is definitely this hotel's biggest asset. Everyone at the desk was friendly and attentive. After checking in at the same time as about 20 other people, I found the same staff who had helped me at the desk hustling up and down the stairs to help guests. I, embarrassingly, managed to lose my keys in the first five minutes of my arrival, and a staff member who was passing by took my name, let me into my room, and had my found keys delivered to me in less than five minutes.

As many reviewers have mentioned, there are some features of this hotel that would disappoint a guest who is used to fancier settings. The carpeting and decor in the hallways is very outdated and run-down. If you enter the hotel through the rear entrance, you have to travel down one of these hallways and up a flight of stairs to get to the office/lobby. I had to ask somebody to point me in the right direction, because there were no markings to let me know where to go. Parking in the lot adjoining the hotel is very limited, but there is another parking lot less than a block away in front of the fire company. We brought all of our luggage in from this farther lot and it really wasn't much of an inconvenience at all. There is only one elevator in this hotel, and it is VERY slow. We used it once, when checking out with our bags. Our room was on the third floor, and we did not find the stair climb to be at all tiresome. Most of the time after our arrival, we were entering and exiting the hotel through the lobby entrance - out to the boardwalk - so we only had one flight of stairs to deal with, anyway. In the room, the shower was a stand-up style (no tub), and it was extremely small. My husband and I are both on the plump side, and maneuvering was difficult. Anyone who is larger may very well find this uncomfortable and/or unpleasant.

The room we stayed in was room 303, and I would highly recommend it. We had an ocean view, and our windows were located right above the main entrance onto the boardwalk. The windows are able to be opened and have screens in them, so you can enjoy the ocean breeze and the sounds of waves crashing against the shore. I'm a "townie," so I love the sounds of people outside my windows at night. If you close the windows, shut the nice, thick blinds, and turn the AC on, those who are less inclined to the sights and sounds while sleeping can block it all out. Our room was one of the renovated ones. The furniture and bedding were current and still pretty new-looking. The king-size bed was firm, but VERY comfortable, and there were six fluffy pillows on the bed, plus a small, decorative body pillow, which all made for a very comfortable night's sleep. Drawer space is limited - three somewhat small drawers. There is no closet, just a rack near the door with several hangars for hanging clothing. It was just enough for our three-night trip, but if you're staying a week, you might find this to be insufficient storage space. As I already mentioned, the shower was quite small, but the bathroom was clean and furnished with newer, modern fixtures. Some people mentioned the walls being "paper-thin" in the rooms. We could hear some voices and TV noise from other rooms, but nothing that disturbed us or kept us up at night.

One of the coolest features of Harrison Hall is their customer appreciation event. Because we stayed with them during the peak season, we are invited back to stay any time during a three-week period in September/October for $20 per night. We booked a two-night weekend stay in October for $44 (tax included). At $200 per night during the peak season, their prices were already a steal compared to other properties on the boardwalk, and now we're getting two vacations for the price of one! I am very excited about that!

Overall, Harrison Hall is a great hotel for vacationers who are looking for a great location at a great price and are not overly particular about particulars (like the look of the hallways) that don't really impact your stay. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Ocean view is not that much more expensive, and offers a beautiful view o...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kerri S
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Went to ocean city for another quick get away, stayed at the Harrison Hall, its right on the boardwalk everything is so close there. I loved the rocking chairs there is makes the place feel right at home kick back and take a deep breath relax!!! My room was very clean and the staff very helpful too! I will bring my family back there again. Thanks again to the staff for being so friendly.

2  Thank gpowers5
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Harrison Hall is pretty much the middle-half way point from the inlet to the end of the boardwalk on 28th Street. Foot, bus, or train you can not go wrong with this location. The rooms were on the smaller side; however, how long do you really stay in your room. If you are a "get up early and start your day" kind of person, then its, perfect for you. If you are a "stay in the room and watch TV all day" kind of person, well, maybe not the 1st choice for you, perhaps you should stay home and let the rest of the family enjoy Harrison Hall and all their amenities, such as the Olympic size HUGE pool, checkers and games in the lounge, or rocking your worries away on the front porch people watching. All in all a great atmosphere and experience. Try it, I dare you.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper .. try a different floor then the lobby level, lots of comings and goings...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends