“Nice New Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Phila Pa
“Nice New Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Just stayed over Labor Day weekend. Hotel was really nice, new, and clean. The outdoor pool was great. Plenty of places to relax. You sign at the desk for beach towels. They have a Tiki Bar with good drinks and they serve some food there too. I didn't try the food. Free breakfast in the morning. Breakfast was good. A lot to choose from. They need to get better toasters. I would have to say, they were the slowest toasters I've ever used. Staff was friendly and helpful. We booked a studio suite. It was very roomy. The only complaint about the room was the shower head. It was the worst shower. They really need to do something about that. Over all, great place, good location. We would go back for sure.

Room Tip: Bayview rooms are really nice because you get a view of the pool too and all of the rooms have balco...
2 Thank Jmmm
rbhde, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ocean City, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Thank you for your nice compliments---we did get some new toasters and apologize your shower wasn't up to par--we are checking into that! We hope you'll come back and stay with us again when you're back in Ocean City!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Just returned from a weekend stay at this hotel and was very impressed with the room, pool area, location, breakfast area and everything about this hotel. No regrets about this hotel. Even though it is not on the beach it’s a short block away and wasn’t difficult crossing the busy street. Plenty of eating and drinking establishments within walking distance and the view of the bay was very relaxing while sitting on the balcony.

Almost everyone I encountered from the housekeeping staff, maintenance workers, breakfast attendant were all very personable and eager to please. One young man in particular, Greg, went out of his way to find me a box of tissues when he heard my friends and I talking that I forgot to grab one before I left the room. He also brought two chairs up for us to sit on the patio since there were 4 of us in the room.

One person that was not very helpful was the front desk clerk Mary. As your first point of contact when you check in, you would think she would be informed of the policies of the hotel and especially Hilton Honor Diamond members. I hate to throw that Diamond word around and hardly ever have to because most staff are informed of how to treat their best paying and loyal customers. The only word this woman knows is “NO”. No rooms were ready, no upgrades for HH Diamond members because the hotel is full. (This is not how Hilton Hotels operate), no chairs available for the patio (until I talked to the manager), no late checkout because the hotel is full (another Hilton Honor perk). The real deal breaker was when she finally allowed me an extra hour past the 11 am check out time, but never informed us the key would not work past 11. This was after I met another guest who was allowed 3pm checkout.

Housekeeping heard me talking about the situation and voluntarily informed me I wasn’t the only person who has complained about her. Even another guest in the elevator told me they had problems with her as well. I spoke to Jill the manager about this woman’s attitude and demeanor and she apologized and said she would speak to her. Please do so Jill! This woman is not someone you want as the first person you meet as you enter the hotel. She sets the tone for a negative experience and has no personality. Although, she became more pleasant when the manager came out of the back to check in someone else. Mary’s customer service skills are terrible and when I checked out, I asked her to please review the HH policies so she is aware of what is and is not allowed before saying "NO" to every request.

It’s a wonderful hotel but avoid dealing with Mary and you’ll have a great stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Tmpy
Short Hills, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

Our family stayed here for 2 nights and it was more than perfectly fine. For this hotel brand's class level and price at peak season, it exceeded our expectations. The hotel is one month old--so everything is new and clean. Our room had comfortable clean beds (all new linens), flat screen TV, refrigerator and microwave, The bathrooms had white subway tiles on the walls, larger tan tiles on the floor and a granite sink counter top. We had a great view of the bay and pool. The pool area is a nice setting that overlooks the bay and has a tiki bar--the pool is sizable with a hot tub. At night they light up the fire pit at the pool area--so it's a nice setting watching the sunset over the bay. To get to the beach you have to cross a main 4 lane road which is a negative but it is not an interstate highway which is what I pictured from another review. The beach area was way nicer than I expected--it is expansive, clean and far enough from the boardwalk so it is not nearly as congested.
The hotel has a a small indoor pool and a gym area-which we did not use but seemed good.
Breakfast was more than fine for free--coffee/tea, cereals, oatmeal, hardcooked eggs, toast, fruit, pre-made omelettes, bacon etc.
Coffee/tea was out and available in lobby all day and night.

As a new hotel, there are some minor kinks the staff seems to be working hard to iron out. One issue is they keep running out of towels at the pool. The manager said that they started out with plenty of towels but some guests were not returning them--next summer they may have a different system with the towels.
The staff were friendly and helpful--when we needed extra towels, they were brought to our room within minutes. The front desk was helpful with maps, recommended restaurants and things to do. The person who helped us with our luggage was also very nice and helpful.
I do think it would be nicer if all the staff had uniforms to distinguish themselves.

For dinners one night we ate at OC Steamers located in the shopping center next door to the hotel--we were surprised--the atmosphere was good, crabs were great, food reasonably priced and we could drink and walk back to the hotel. We also had dinner at Liquid Assets- which was also a surprise--the restaurant is in a wine and liquor store- but the atmosphere was nice and the food was very good--the homemade donuts were to die for.

2 Thank ElleZ531
Towson, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

I recently stayed at the Hampton down in Ocean City Maryland for 2 nights just my boys and I for one last small vacation before school starts. We arrived at the hotel around 3 o'clock for check in howefer are room was not ready, I was a little upset, but Taylor and Zach told us it shouldn't be long, they gave us a parking permit and a key to use the pool while we waited for the room which gave my boys something to do and passed the time fast and our room was ready in no time! The room was beautiful being a brand new hotel not many people have stayed in the room so that was great! The view on the waterfront is amazing as well. As we all get ready for dinner i hopped in the shower and for some reason the water was just not getting hot at all! i called down to the fron desk and Zach said maintinence would be right up to fix it! A nice man Mr. Kennedy came to our room and hat my water nice and hot in just 5 minutes! So again the staff saved me from having a bad expierience. Taylor gave us a wonderful recomedation for an awesome restaraunt called "The Crab Bag" the food there was amazing and the atmosphere was just a fun place to eat, lots of TV's to keep the boys entertained. All in all we had a wonderful stay if it wasnt for the wonderful staff Taylor, Zach, and Mr.Kennedy are stay may have not been as pleasureable i would reccomend this hotel too anyone and everyone!

Room Tip: Definently pay the extra money for the bayfront!
2 Thank Harry J
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

For what was supposed to be a brand "spanking" new hotel, I just did not see it. Maybe they renovated somewhere in the Hotel, but it definitely was not brand new. The common areas were filthy and unkept. Garbage all over the floors. One of the elevators was out of service. Once we got to our room, the floors were all scuffed and beat up. There was a huge grease mark on the wall. Just not what was expected for the price. Next as far as the hotel being a block from the beach, it was but no one said you had to cross a busy coastal highway to get there. When you have 2 small children and all of there beach stuff trying to navigate the crossing was a challenge. I would not recommend this Hampton.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Familytravelguy1
Liverpool, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

The Hampton Inn is new, so it is very clean and the rooms are comfortable. Beds and linens are exceptional. Service is good, everyone is polite and competent. Being new, there are just a few minor things that need "tweaked". The free breakfast is delicious, but whoever is making the coffee - it is very weak! The outdoor pool is lovely, however - be warned - the jacuzzi leads right into the pool area, and the kids use it for a jumping off point, so it can be hard to ever get in the jacuzzi and relax. I didn't think it's a good idea for the kids who were pretty small, to jump off the ledge into the pool, I believe someone's going to get hurt eventually. Also, the staff never seems to have enough towels out at the pool area, so it would probably be a good idea to stock more towels, as there were shortages each day. It was all in all a nice stay, however, I think if I was going to spend this much money on a room again, I'd prefer to be oceanside, simply because you have to cross 8 lanes of traffic to get to the beach.

1 Thank billiejinx
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

I came to ocean city for vacations.. But the hilton was out of room so we were looking for a clean place just like the hilton. After three hours of searching for a neat Place we arrived at hampton inn.. Great place to stay. Clean rooms and perfect location. Its just luxury...

• Stayed August 2012