“Great newer hotel bayside!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Ocean City
Ranked #2 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

The location is perfect for Bayside and it is somewhat more peaceful than ocean side locations. It is great for couples in the off season, but it would be a haul to cross Coastal Highway with a family in tow for beach time during the summer. The hotel itself is new, beautiful clean and comfortable! It has an indoor pool with a hot tub that is a rare find in OC these days. The lobby is spacious, comfortable and well decorated. The breakfast makes the value somewhat better, but I can still stay oceanfront for less.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank KebbieK
rbhde, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ocean City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you KebbieK from Annapolis for your kind words on Tripadvisor! We hope you come back to visit us the next time you're in Ocean City!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

This a very nice hotel with a friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are fresh and spotless, the breakfast has something for everyone. I would not hesitate to recommend this property to anyone. Kudos to your staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SSgem

Thanks SSGem....we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us... Please come back again to see us!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was our first stay at this hotel and overall the experience was very good. The room was very modern and neat and clean on our arrival. The only problem that we had was that there were several large groups of young people also staying at the same time and tended to be a little noisy late in the evening,

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel V
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Based on other high rated reviews, my girlfriend and I checked in on February 7th, 2014 - February 9th, 2014 to celebrate our anniversary. This hotel was my worst stay in Ocean City yet, and I come down at least three times each year. Our I.D. and credit card used for booking were taken to complete our check in. We were told how about the complimentary breakfast and that there was a shop in the hotel to buy things at. We were told if we needed anything call the desk and we would be helped. We get to the room and it was nice, the view was amazing from the fourth floor, great sunset. I looked at our bank account to check on funds, and I noticed a forty dollar charge from the hotel. That surprised me because we paid for the hotel in advance. I called the front desk to ask about it, and was told it was for incidentals, and if we bought anything from the store downstairs, it would be taken out of that money. She did not apologize for failing to share this knowledge at check in when she took our card to "verify our information". It does not bother me that their policy is to hold an amount of money which is no where listed as a set amount. The fact I was not told before it was done upset me, because I feel that is disrespectful to the customer. That night after we returned from dinner, we laid down on what was supposed to be a pillow, and was very uncomfortable. There was a huge group of people together at this hotel during our stay, and on Friday it was so noisy. There were people literally running up and down the hallway to the rooms, and there was more than one customer that complained about this issue during this stay as well that I know of. The noise did not stop until after two in the morning. I did not get any sleep that night at all. We were out pretty much all day the next day, and we actually found things to do on purpose just so we did not have to be in the hotel. Upon return that night things were not as noisy as the previous night the noise stopped around midnight. We did go down for the complimentary breakfast on Sunday morning. We arrived at the coffee station and while making my coffee I went to throw away the empty sugar packets, but the trash can was overfilled. I then looked around for a staff member, I saw one, she was eating complimentary breakfast watching television in the eating area. I did not want to bother her so I just pushed the trash down so that mine did not fall on the floor. We walked past her to get to the food, and as with all of the staff during this visit, no good morning or any type of interaction customer service wise. There was no one down there yet other than us so we got first pick at breakfast, there was a pretty good selection. While eating the staff member on duty began to talk to a maintenance man that had walked into the lobby. She used profanity to describe other employees that left a mess and that she had done some cleaning. She had pointed at the trash and the coffee counter saying how messy everything was and continued to use foul language in describing these things. The maintenance man took care of the trash at that time. Two other customers had walked past her while she was talking. One was going to check out, and was ignored just standing at the desk until the staff decided she was going to be taken care of. The other customer just wanted to get some extra towels and had to wait because she was talking again. This is a disgrace and I would feel bad if this were my business and I had staff doing things like this. Then after that she was talking to another customer who brought up the amount of noise from Saturday night. She was told that she should have called the front desk, and if she thought Saturday night was bad, Friday was worse. I am not new to the customer service business myself, but why would you get excited about something terrible that is happening to a customer by saying it was worse the night before! I had read other reviews before booking and everyone mentioned names of great people at this hotel, I never saw any of those people, but the people that were working really do not know anything about customer service from what I saw. At checkout we were not even asked how our stay was, and that to me is the biggest joke of all. I have been to so many hotels and I have always been asked that same question at every checkout. We were only asked if we had paid cash at check in, and we were handed a receipt. I am glad so many other people had a good experience, but there was either some crazy stuff going on this particular weekend, or this place has gone far down hill in a hurry.

Room Tip: Bay front rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brandon P
rbhde, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ocean City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you Brandon P for letting us know about your experience. I'm so sorry to hear that your weekend was not up to par between the noise, the hold on your credit card for incidentals and the lack of customer service on our end! We do put holds on cards, as most hotels do, for any incidentals that may come up during your stay. I do understand your concern and you should've been told about this at check in. It is our normal policy/speel at check in to let the cash paying customers know of this process. I'm sorry that you weren't informed of this upon arrival. We did have a youth church group in and did have our issues with noise. I'm sorry that they disturbed your weekend.....we did go up on the floors to ask them to quiet down along with call their chaperones in their rooms. Unfortunately, they did cause some disturbances. I do apologize for the breakfast staff and the front desk's staff lack of customer service and judgment. This is unacceptable and we will take measures to make sure these things don't happen again! Thank you for letting us know. I do know from our correspondence with guest assistance that you will be receiving a free night on us at a Hampton of your choice at your convenience. I do hope you'll take advantage of that and know that this is definitely not the norm at this property or any Hampton/Hilton property! Again, our apologies!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

This Hampton in, at the time we stayed, in the winter, was exceptionally clean and the service was superb. The staff have great attitudes and a willingness to serve. The breakfast accomodations and complimentary coffee were excellent for the price of the hotel. Location depending upon your purpose of visiting is great.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rita S

Thank you Rita S.....we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for work. It is near the convention center and the proximity made it seem a great option. The newer building is impressive but I was disappointed with the housekeeping service. The bathroom had stains around the toilet area that need to be mopped. After 3 days and two requests I concluded my trip and left disappointed by the lack of concern about someone else's bodily fluids still remaining on my bathroom floor. At checkout the desk clerk did refund 1 night's stay with an apology.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tom S
rbhde, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ocean City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you Mr. Scaruzzi for taking time to write about your experience with us! I did read your survey also and respond. I do apologize that our housekeeping department fell short on their detail and follow up during your stay! Cleanliness and customer service are our number 1 priorities and are taken very seriously. I can assure you that this has been addressed and resolved....I'm happy to hear that our front desk did invoke the 100% guarantee. I do hope that you'll give us another opportunity the next time you are in Ocean City as this is not the norm for this property!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We just got back from a long weekend at Ocean City and stayed at this Hampton Inn. To say we were pleased with the hotel is an understatement! The hotel is in like new condition throughout, with so clean rooms that are hard to find at a beach hotel. The view of the bay was beautiful and peaceful, and although not the ocean was quite lovely. I would much rather have a nice, clean, new room with a bay view than a dated, dirty room that a lot of hotels at this price at Ocean City or any beach have.

We are a family of 5 with 3 children, and the rooms at this hotel gave us both the cleanliness and size a family of more than 4 needs. We are frequent travelers, and it's tough to find a room with these qualities at such a reasonable price!

Many other reviewers have mentioned Zack at the front desk, and we agree that he was great! He was friendly, attentive, and helpful with our questions about the area. Also, Kennedy, who I believe is a maintenance person, was also friendly, inquired about our stay, promptly brought us extra towels when we requested them, and repeatedly offered to help with anything else to make our stay wonderful. The gentleman at breakfast (I am sorry that I did not get his name) was also helpful and on top of the buffet with promptly restocking necessary food and supplies, helping when my toddler spilled her drink, and even making sure we didn't need anything else before closing the breakfast bar.

The only negatives we found are that the beds/mattresses were quite firm and didn't feel as comfortable as other Hamptons. Also, the large desk that divides the room takes up a lot of unusable space that could instead house a room divider and/or another tv for the sofa/sofa bed half of the room. One recommendation would be a privacy curtain between the sink area and rest of the room.

These issues are really all quite minor compared to the pluses of staying at this hotel, and we would return in a heartbeat! It's one of the best hotels and Hamptons we've stayed at in the country!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family