“RUINED my bachelorette party dinner!”
Review of Bahama Mama's - CLOSED

Bahama Mama's
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 26 February 2013

My bridesmaids and I planned for a short one day & night trip to OC for my bachelorette party. When trying to select a place to eat I did my best to find a restaurant with reasonable prices to accommodate the various budgets of my bridal party and also have a large menu variety for everyones taste. It was also my goal to make sure I could find a place that served broiled lobster tail for me and crab imperial for my maid of honor. After hours of online searching, Bahama Mamas became the best selection that fit all that criteria. But our dinner turned into quite a disappointment.

Upon arrival, they sat us at a table with no table cloth or paper on it. You could see mold in the plastic and the entire thing looked dirty. We made the best of ignoring it and focusing on the nice view. Our wait for food was extremely long. When it did arrive I was sad to find both my lobster tails that i was paying a hefty price for were the worst tails I have ever eaten. First and foremost, I am not picky when it comes to lobster even though its such an expensive food. I enjoy main lobster, rock lobster, grilled lobster, broiled ect. My mom is very picky if her lobster tail is too "tough" but not me. I could eat lobster tail for the rest of my life and be happy. When you go to the beach you expect fresh and tasty seafood. But spite me not being a picky lobster lover, I found the tails to be the most bland and dry I had ever consumed. I decided to suck it up and eat it anyways. The rain had already put a damper on our day. I had not eaten and was starving and we still needed to make it to the club for dancing so I did not wish to prolong our dinner. However, my maid of honor was unable to even finish her crab imperial as it was full of broken shells in every bite. She gets crab imperial all the time. Its her favorite dish and she admits that occasionally one can encounter a shell or two. But this was every single bite she took. My other bridesmaids had no serious complaints about their food but they did feel it was overpriced for the quality of it.

Now I never blame the waiter or waitress for things like these. BUT, his poor customer service was just a further extension of the lack of quality service at this place. When we informed him of the shells in the crab imperial he told us that is how crab imperial is everywhere and its to be expected. When I expressed that I was less than satisfied with my lobster tails and that frankly I have had better lobster at Red Lobster than I was having that night, he did apologize but added that they have "never had any complaints" hahahah just by the looks of the reviews on trip advisor that is a lie. I found it incredibly ridiculous at the time for him to say that to me because its a fact that no restaurant, retail store or business goes without complaints. Besides I don't feel its very professional to argue with the customers. It was clear I was there for a special occasion and I was starting to get really frustrated and upset with how everything was handled.

I wrote to the contact information on the official Bahama mama website and never received a response from management. All in all, I would say this place is cute with a pretty atmosphere, but caliber of food is below par for the prices on the menu and the customer service could use improvement. Luckily the following year we found excellent lobster tail and shell-free crab imperial at Coins restaurant which made up for this dinner.

2  Thank Rachael713

Reviewed 3 January 2013

When people go out to a crab house and order crabs by the dozen it is for one purpose.... you want heavy, full crabs and you know approximately how large the crab will be based on the size you ordered. These were not heavy or full. We ordered jumbos, and paid $80 for a dozen and they were very light. I complained to the owner herself and she responded by telling me that I got what I ordered. She said that they don't say the crabs will be full they only state the size of the shell. They are a disgrace to anyone in the crab business!! And FYI it says in big bold letters on the side of the building Heavy Crabs. I am amazed they are still in business. Terrible food and deplorable customer service!! We will never go back!!

1  Thank Kirstie T
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Friendly knowledgeable staff but pretty overpriced for seafood of this caliber. There are to many places close by that give alot more for alot less for us to eat here.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

My family and I ate outdoors on a beautiful September night overlooking the bay. Ordered appetizers and crabs. Crabs were so fresh and sweet. Excellent meal. Would go back again and again!

Reviewed 13 September 2012

My friends were visiting from out of town and I wanted them to have the best Maryland crabs available. Not at this restaurant. I called ahead to reserve seats and crabs. We ordered beverages and our food. The beverages arrived and 10 mins. later the crabs. They were NOT hot and steamy and were very dry. The view from the bay deck and balcony was the only thing good. Don't waste your time or $$$.