“very good”

Higgins Crab House North
Reserve with OpenTable
Higgins Crab House North is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #153 of 440 Restaurants in Ocean City
Price range: US$9 - US$39
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 128th street
Transit: Convenient to Ocean City municipal bus stops
Description: Ocean City Md"s premier Maryland style Crab house and Seafood Restaurant. We go to the docks 7 days a week to purchase the very freshest Chesapeake Bay seafood from the man (or woman) that caught it. Bring the family and and enjoy the finest Maryland has to offer...The Higgins Family
Reviewed 5 September 2013

A typical good OC restaurant. The crabcake dinner is great, a little expensive but worth the money. Service was excellent.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Even when I was just visiting from California, my sister and I would drive all the way from Gaithersburg, MD to eat a late lunch here and then attend the Dunes Manor Hotel tea party at 3:00 pm since we stay there all the time when we vacation.

I have now moved to Maryland and still love Maryland crabs. I remember back in California, my friend and I would have Maryland crabs only on our birthdays. It was a special event for us and we would celebrate it by eating Maryland blue crabs in this restaurant in Santa Monica that only served Maryland crabs.

This Labor Day weekend, on impulse, we vacationed in Ocean City, and went to Higgins Crab House for dinner. Most of the tables were taken and it looked like most of the customers opted for the "all you can eat crabs." That's great if you really can eat lots of crabs. I have two friends who can do that. Unfortunately, they were not with us! However, we just selected the large crabs and ordered a dozen of that. If we're going to eat crabs, we might as well get the biggest of all. It's so hard to eat small crabs after all the work you need to do to eat one. It's like $66 for a dozen but heck, you're on vacation! Splurge since you don't do this everyday. My sister and I shared a dozen crabs. It was quite hard to finish it really.

My brother-in-law ordered the 36 shrimps and he was very contented with what he ate. We also ordered corn which was so sweet. If we weren't counting our carbs, we'd eat more than one. But we stuck to one corn each. We also noticed that a lot of tables had fried chicken. When we came out of the restaurant, we saw that they were advertising their crabs and fried chicken. So the next time we come, we'll order fried chicken as well.

The service was also good although we always had to try and locate our server since the area is big. But I'm not complaining.

I took a picture of our hot freshly steamed crabs and the corn and shrimps. I sent it out with my text messages and my friends who lives in California now all want to visit me when I said the season for crabs is the months that has an "R." In other words, September, November, December. It's NOT in the summer that most of us think. A good friend of mine now sent back a text "Is November a good time to visit you?" I texted her back and said "Anytime, girl! Anytime!"

1  Thank Parisbreakfast
Reviewed 30 August 2013

It is tradition that every time we go to Ocean City MD, we always have dinner one night at Higgins. We were there the weekend of August 24, 2013, their are two adults and two teens in our group.

The service was outstanding by Ella, she was very friendly and quick to refill drinks and clear our table.

The bad. We ordered the crab legs and the blue crabs. The crab legs were dusted with sea salt and they just tasted old. A reviewer had used the comment microwaved and I would agree. The blue crabs which is what I really look forward too were the worst I have ever had. I have crabbed most of my life and I know how a dead crab smells, and we had several dead crabs in our bunch that we received. If they weren't dead and rotten smelling, then they were pasty or to small to enjoy any amount of meat.

With all the choices in Ocean City my family and I will choose a different establishment to enjoy Maryland's famous blue crab. I hope that Higgins gets back to how they used to be, but I fear in this economy they are more concerned about turning a profit and feeding the massive tourist population less than quality food.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

This is a beach crab restaurant, meaning a bit expensive though you get what you pay for, which means lots of crab with very good sides, including really good coleslaw and fried chicken, though the fries disappointingly were the coated fake ones. We had a reservation through Open Table and were seated promptly on a Saturday night though admittedly late summer. The service was great (Alexei from Moldova -- very energetic and attentive). My advice, though, is only order the crabs, whether blue or Alaskan King. One of our party of six had a crab cake, which clearly was the worst I've ever tasted. My sense is the rest of the non-crab menu may be a bit lacking as well. If you want a good crab-picking experience, I'd recommend this place, but I'd stick to the crabs, which is the only basis for giving this restaurant a good review.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

love Higgins crabs every time we go we got the all you can eat crabs(there was 4 of us) after the 2nd tray of crabs we got 6 more they came out cold and pasty like they just microwaved them very surprised at this we never had a problem like this before. At $32 plus drink times 4 people I was annoyed they only gave us a 10% discount. Will think again about going there