“Best vacation ever”
Review of Lankford Hotel

Lankford Hotel
Ranked #21 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I stayed in an apartment of the Lankford hotel.My first year with a lot of family members. We stayed in the 3 bedroom apt. called the sea robin 2. The apartment , the staff at the hotel, and everyone else that we encountered working there were great. Our apartment was so great that we couldn't wait for the next year. As soon as I recieve a letter from Lankford for this year (2010) I called to book for the year. I don't know how the hotel is but the apartment was great !! We had 2 parking spaces, I wish we had the internet in our apartment but you have to go to the lobby to get it , but if that's the only down fall , well I'm ready to go back now!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank natlite

Reviewed 12 July 2009

Our family has stayed in a couple of different rooms of this old beauty. No elevator so be prepared for the long hike to the third floor if you take one of these rooms-dark paneling throughout, not very modern, but quiet and comfortable. A huge front porch at boardwalk level and another upstairs with rocking chairs-perfect for watching the sunrise over the ocean. The AC in our room would freeze us out when left on.
We rented the Robins Nest apartment (lower unit) just off the ramp behind Thrasher's French Fries on 8th Street. Front porch, close to bike rentals and anything else you could want (no pool, sorry!) This apartment is very modern and extremely well kept. The free continental breakfast in the Hotel's main lobby is just a short walk across their parking lot. Yes, they have private parking and it's right there near the apartment so no long walks, plus there is a convenience store for milk, bread, etc... right down the alley out back. The staff is great, plus they seem to bring over guys and girls from Ireland with the greatest accent and best manner's we encountered anywhere on our trips. The price is right, location is great and we felt right at home the minute we arrived. If you don't like old paneling & plumbing, then make sure to get an apartment (yes, they will set up a time to tour it if you ask!) We've stayed many times and always come back for more.
Have been unable to go there for a few years now for other reasons, but am planning a stay again in August 2009.

• Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank Bolinins
Reviewed 25 April 2009

I have stayed here quite a few times since 2001 and will again in 2009 and beyond--first as a single woman looking spontaneously for a place to stay at my local beach, then with my sister in a room with two twin beds, then with my fiance, and now again with my husband. I have recommended it to my parents and friends and they enjoyed it too. Basically whenever a family member is coming to OC, I recommend they stay here--it's like an old timey Waltons family beach cottage--the sun shines in during the breakfast time and you can sit on the porch to eat which IS LITERALLY FIVE STEPS FROM THE BOARDWALK AND BEACH! That was the real draw for me initially, plus the tall white porch columns and the rocking chairs. As a single woman, I always felt safe and could just luxuriate in the beach experience. There is a great 2nd/3rd floor balcony with rocking chairs too to watch the sunset. During off season, the prices are especially reasonable--cheaper than most modern chain motels in a typical non-beach city elsewhere; even during summer peak, it's the best deal on the BOARDWALK! It's not fancy or "high end," but an old fashioned, antiques-in-the-hall, creaky stairs, beachfront sunset, travel back in time with your grandma kind of place at grandma's prices. Good setting for a Miss Marple mystery--great for writing or relaxing and just enjoying life!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank xmasinjunebride
Reviewed 9 February 2009

The Lankford is an older hotel with lots of charm. We have been staying there for over 20 years. It is in a perfect location in old Ocean City, right on the beach and within walking distance to restaurants, shopping, boardwalk games and a playground. It is definitely a family hotel, and not a place for young singles.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank kay3md
Reviewed 15 July 2008

It was my first time to OC and I went with my boyfriend and parents. I wasn't sure what to expect as I had booked literally the night before for a 2 night stay at the Lankford. Despite having lived in MD my entire life, my family never made the trek to OC and boy did they have a great experience. The hotel is old, but that added to the character. The staff was extremely friendly and when my BF asked about fishing spots, one of the staff members hopped on his personal cell and made a call to a good friend of his to ask questions. That's service!! They had a warm breakfast first thing in the morning which included coffee, doughnuts, oj, and croissants. Don't expect to spend all day at the hotel as there really isn't a lot of amenities there for you, but it's just perfect for a place to rest your head after a day on the beach and the price and view were excellent during peak season. My parents' favorite thing to do while there was sit on the porch and people watch. I am planning another trip back and if we weren't toting along a 1 and 2 year old, I would definitely go back to stay. This hotel may be suitable for older children, but I wouldn't recommend really young ones to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank liluqt
Reviewed 12 June 2008

I was excited to find out there was a somewhat inexpensive hotel in Ocean City during the peek season. But, as soon as we checked in, I felt unwelcome. We were the youngest people there, so i felt they automatically assumed we were "troublemakers." After we got to OC, we met up with some friends. The hotel was only reserved for 2 of us, but all day, we and our 2 other friends walked in and out of the hotel while the owners watched us carefully. We smiled, and got eye rolls. Yes, we were wrong for inviting our 2 friends to stay in our room when we only paid for 2 people, but I believe they noticed we had 4 people at the beginning of the day. The owners waited until 10:30 pm to tell us they were not allowed to stay in our room..keeping our money for that night. **we went to another hotel**
There were 2 incidents that really bothered me:
We walked through the back door to the boardwalk side(thinking that was okay because we were staying at that hotel) and someone said, "did they just WALK through here?" in a very angry tone.
another time, I walked in the front door and straight up to my room to get my car keys and one of the older women sitting in the lounge said, "THERE GOES THAT GIRL AGAIN!"
That was enough to make me want to leave. It was to the point where I was afraid to walk into the hotel to go to my room. If I had to go in, I walked straight up the steps with my head down.

If you are a senior citizen, I suppose this hotel would be a good place to knit in the lodge, because that's all they did..all day.
....just watching me come and go.
I don't like to be talked about and that is the only feeling I got from the Lankford Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
23  Thank kelster8706
Reviewed 7 September 2007

My family & I have been staying here in the summer for years. We love it for its old time ambiance, big porches with rocking chairs, that it is family run, VERY clean, reasonably priced, ...I can go on forever. We pray that The Lankford doesn't cave in & sell to a developer.

Stayed: July 2007