“Disappointed”
Review of Bonita Beach Hotel

Bonita Beach Hotel
Ranked #16 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We visit OC quite a bit, especially in the “off” season and I was looking for a change from the usual hotels we visit. We had never stayed at this hotel and so I researched it here.

I read the bad reviews but noted there were responses to each of the bad reviews making the point that there was new management by Carousel. Thinking I knew their reputation I ignored the bad reviews and booked the hotel. I wished I hadn’t.

The staff was nice and the hotel itself appears very nice and presents as very clean. The problem were the beds. They were the worst. The queen mattresses in our room were very uncomfortable and my own guess is that they have not been upgraded/changed in a very, very, very long time. They are completely worn and extremely uncomfortable.

It was windy the first night we were there and the slider to the balcony made it sound like a train was coming through the room. We assumed that it was only because of the very windy conditions that evening. I was wrong, the next evening was nice but the sound of the wind in the slider was the same. I know it was the slider because when I opened it slightly, maybe 1-2 inches, the noise stopped.

I guess it will just take a while until the Carousel Group gets this hotel updated, but for me, I’ll pass on this hotel the next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank racer705020
carouselresort, Manager at Bonita Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear concerned guest, we thank you for your review and thank you for your stay. We do apologize for your discomfort, we would have been happy to move your room if this issue had been brought to the attention of one of our skilled staff members. The hotel was built in 1998 and is one of the newer hotels in Ocean City, MD. The sliders still have many years of life left, but it sounds as though the seal may have been loose on your sliding glass door. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we are giving carefully attending to these details as they arise. We do kindly thank you for your valued business and ask that you stay in one of our great hotels again in the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

The front desk staff was very courteous upon check-in and throughout our stay. From our balcony we had a nice ocean view and very close walk to the beach. Our kids loved the indoor pool. Plenty of stuff within a few blocks for eating and activities for the family.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank aash333
carouselresort, Manager at Bonita Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear valued guest, thanks so much for the great review, we are so happy that you and your family had a great Ocean City vacation! The Carousel Group just started manageming this hotel. The Bonita Beach Hotel is just steps from the beach, great attractions and has a great indoor pool attached to a sundeck and gameroom. We can't wait to have you as our guest once more, thank you again for the great review!

Reviewed 8 April 2013

A friend made the arrangements for a group of 16 people to stay here. I read the reviews and was concerned about the place especially since it was such a great price. I was more than pleasantly surprised. The staff at the hotel were all very friendly, courteous and accomodating. Upon check in on Friday night; we got our room and the first thing we noticed were all of the amenities in the suite. Nice mini kitchen with a full size refrigerator, microwave, dishes, glasses and coffee mugs; a coffee maker and coffee. Everything looked very clean and well appointed. The only thing missing was hand and bath soap. I called the front desk and they promptly brought the missing items to us and were very nice about it. What is not clear from the description is that this is an ALL SUITE hotel. My only complaints about this hotel is that they do not allow smoking in any room or on the balcony. They do not advertise they have WiFi; but they do; however, I could not get connected to it. I called the front desk and he said he would reset the device; but that did not help. I thought it might be because we were on the top floor; but I went to the lobby and tried and still was not successful. Maybe they need to do something about that. Also, they do not have a hot tub on the property. All in all, I would definitely go back and recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Parott1966

Dear valued guest, thanks so much for the great review! You are the first person to review us on Trip Advisor after the new management(Carousel Group) took over. We are thrilled we could provide you and your group the accommodations you deserve on your beach vacation. All of our rooms have great amenities and are quite large. All of our Carousel Group Hotels are non smoking but we do provide designated smoking areas outside. We do apologize about the WiFi, we have maintenance working hard to fix this issue. More than likely we will install a hot tub, but that wasn't in our budget for the year. Thanks so much for the positive review and the great recommendation, we can't wait to have you as our guest again!

Reviewed 26 October 2012

I made a reservation for one night and asked what the cancellation policy was(just to be safe).
I was told "as long as you cancel within 5 days of your reservation you would get a full refund." After cancelling it showed up on my charge card with a $10 cancellation fee. I called the hotel and was told that this is their policy and it was stated at the time I made my reservation (which IT WAS NOT). I would never have made the reservation under these terms. I feel like I was taken advantage of and will dispute the charge.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
carouselresort, Manager at Bonita Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear valued guest, we do apologies for your cancellation issue with The Bonita Beach Hotel. You will be happy to know that the property has gone under the new management of The Carousel Group. We have had great success in hospitality management and strive for nothing less than excellence. We know your experience was less than satisfactory and we promise we are doing everything we can to make sure your next experience will not be your last.

We are making a lot of great upgrades to the hotel as well as adding staff members to help with everyday operations and positive customer experience. Please consider The Bonita Beach Hotel for your next Ocean City vacation.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

This hotel was our hotel to stay in Ocean City for 2 nights. Positives included VERY spacious room/bathroom, supplied dishes- could act like an apartment. However, there were about 1 million security cameras that were all easy to spot and REALLY creepy, so-called oceanfront view was a building and a small alley to the beach. No tablet in room, ice bucket dirty with only machine on top floor, got impression that check-in was a bother to front desk man's time/day, uncomfortable sofa/ sleeper, TV remote was hard of working, lite switch in bathroom shorting out, stain on wall that looked like blood. Ok, but expected better for approx $200/nite

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank oceanlover1000

Dear valued guest, we do apologies for your less than adequate stay at the Bonita Beach Hotel. You will be happy to know that the property has gone under the new management of The Carousel Group. We have had great success in hospitality management and strive for nothing less than excellence. We know your experience was less than satisfactory and we promise we are doing everything we can to make sure your next experience will not be your last.

We are making a lot of great upgrades to the hotel as well as adding staff members to help with everyday operations and positive customer experience. Thanks again for staying with the Bonita Beach Hotel in Ocean City, we look forward to having you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We checked in for 4 nights. A family of 4. Got a room on the 5th floor. The front desk contrary to everyones complains is very friendly, and so is the cleaning staff. The room is nice and clean. Is it spotless and brand new? No but its very nice for the $. We have Stayed at other hotels right here in ocmd. For a lot more $ there weren't as nice. Again don't believe everything you read. The front desk guy that everyone talks bad about is just a regular guy. If you want a sparkling clean, spotless and state of the art room go stay at the Hilton ;) AND.....I am using my phone right here in my room via wifi ;) I plan on coming back.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank jbar21

Dear valued guest, thanks for your refreshing review! Even though The Bonita Beach Hotel has surpassed expectations, it has gone under new management of The Carousel Group. We have had great success in hospitality management and strive for nothing less than excellence!

We are working on a lot of great upgrades to the hotel as well as adding staff members to help with everyday operations and positive customer experience. Thanks again for staying with the Bonita Beach Hotel in Ocean City, we look forward to having you again in the future!

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Where should I start? I stayed at this hotel since it opened and I never had a problem here. The last three years I haven't been to Ocean City MD but I decided to returned and book to stay at this Hotel for seven days. The seven days i was there My room was never cleaned. I called the front desk and I was told by the Owner that the rooms were only cleaned every three days. I wasn't ever brought toilet paper, clean towels, and my room wasn't ever vacummed. My beds weren't made and sheets wheren't ever changed, YUK!!!! Everyday i had to go to the front desk and ask for Clean towels and toilet paper. The person who identified himself as the owner must live there because he works day and night at the front desk. All he knows how to do is make up excuses for his staff not cleaning. I asked if the pool was ever cleaned and i was told it is cleaned daily. REALLY!!!! I checked three times a day and it was the dirtest pool i ever seen in my life. Bugs on top of the water, sand that looks like it was poured by buckets. Dirty Dirty Dirty. Ohh and the pool out coach was a night mare with stains all over. One thing i can say is that neither me or my family would ever stay inside of this dump again!!!!!!! Believe me I am not a high class person who complains about anything but this place is a dump!!!!!!

Room Tip: Hampton Inn just opened on 42nd and coastal hwy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MANNY369

We understand your experience was less than satisfactory and we promise we are doing everything we can to make sure your next experience will not be your last.

We are making a lot of great upgrades to the hotel as well as adding staff members to help with everyday operations and improve positive customer experience. Thanks again for staying with the Bonita Beach Hotel in Ocean City, we look forward to having you again in the future.