“Very impressed”

Ranked #2 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Wilmington, DE
“Very impressed”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Prior reviews are on the money here. The hotel is not the Ritz but it is CLEAN and everyone we encountered from the folks working the front desk to housekeeping to the diner staff truly CARES about you enjoying your stay. The service here is comparable to the Ritz (& maybe better).

We stayed in a renovated room in the NJ building, with a kitchenette, temperpedic mattresses, and a flat screen TV and DVD player. Rug looked brand new and other than the metal taste from the water pipes, things about the room were very good.

Kids loved the amenities (indoor pool, outdoor splash area, mini golf, playground).

Very close to the boards in OC. No problem driving over, and the shuttle is available as well. Plenty of good restaurants close by - no need to drive into OC.

Oh, and there's a Food Lion and Superfresh close by but you won't see them from the main road...:-)

Simply a wonderful time at a clean resort with A+ service. Will be back!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank edl803
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Thanks for taking the time to write....and I agree we are not the Ritz! We do take value seriously and have tried making our family resort a fun, clean affordable place to enjoy your family. We are located close to several restaurants and grocery stores! The shuttle is a great amenity for heading into town and not worrying about the price or place to park. We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Reviewed 22 May 2011

everything was great, it was definitely worth the money. i was worried about it not being on the boardwalk but the friendly shuttle made it simple with a stroller and all, no worries about paying for parking.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank juggalettejessie
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 25 May 2011
Our shuttle bus service is one of our guests favorite amenities here at the Francis Scott Key. Even though we are just 3/4 of a mile away the shuttle is free and convenient for hauling all the beach gear without worrying about parking! Hope to see your family soon!

SIncerely
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Hi! I am a single mom with a wonderful son with Autism, we have been coming to FSK since Alex was around 5 years old, he is 17 now:) and even though I am on a fixed income we still are able to come each year, something we all look forward to. I tell everyone who asks what are we doing for the summer that we are going to Frances Scott Keys Resort! I think over 5 families have stayed with you because of our awesome experiences:) Since my son has Autism I call FSK "Alex friendly" meaning we can swim, eat, walk around and play without stares because everyone is having such a wonderful time they dont have time to stare at my son:) I love that! We look forward to coming with my extended family last June this year yeah!! Mommy here is excited too:) God Bless you and please continue the great work!

Room Tip: All the rooms are awesome!
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank Leslie D
Your review really made our day! We do love our families and I am so pleased that you and your son have found a vacation home away from home. I am so blessed that we get to visit with so many returning families and I would love to personally meet you and Alex when you return!

NJ
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We wanted to be near Assateage, but I didn't need to be in Ocean City on the beach.
FSK motel is right on route 50, but you wouldn't know it when you stay. It (most buildings) is far enough off the highway that you won't hear traffic. This motel is made up of several 2 story buildings, some single floor buildings and some cottages. Think traditional 'motor lodge'. We stayed in the PA building. The rooms are not big, not fancy, but they are clean and recently painted and given new linens. Remodeled is not quite the right word, as that implies there would have been new tiles in the bathroom and a fancy TV. The beds have new Tempur-pedic mattresses. There is a minifridge in the room.
There is an indoor water playground that goes from 6 inches to 4 feet. The kids enjoyed it. They also liked minigolf on site and many other kids were enjoying basketball and the playground. In season, when its warmer, there is also an outdoor pool and a cool looking pirate ship water play area.
The 50s style diner on site is a cute novelty. Basic food out of the deep fryer or grill top. Our package included a gift card to the diner so we had dinner there. Kids liked playing with the tabletop TV that has shows and music from the 50s.
The staff was friendly, the room was clean and we felt safe staying here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank familytravel13
Thank you for your review....and I agree that we are not fancy. We strive to maintain a clean, safe atmosphere that gives families lots to do without having to pay anything additional. We are pleased that your family enjoyed their stay and we hope to see you again soon!

Sykesville, Maryland
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We go to O.C. once a summer, usually in conjunction with the boy's lacrosse tournament weekend. Last year we stayed for the first time at FSK (along with most of our teammates) and it was perfect. We felt safe enough so that when our boys said they were going fishing (on site pond) or golfing (on site) or swimming ('Which pool are you going to?') they were there, on the campus, with their friends and having a blast. The tournament was only for the weekend, but I always say the toughest thing about O.C. is GETTING there, so we stay the week after as well. My boys (9 &13) caught a huge turtle in the pond and we all played volleyball at night. One night our entire team took to the pavillion and grills--we all made something different and shared a meal out there....it was kind of like family-reunion-meets-cookout-with-lacrosse-sticks. GREAT, GREAT family fun. The week after the tourney we took the short trip to the beach. My oldest went parasailing and at night we'd return for a relaxing hot tub or dip in the pool. Your staff is friendly and helpful and our room was cleaned nicely every day when we were out. WE WILL BE BACK!!!

Stayed June 2010
2 Thank BrianShaunsMa
We love when we have a family groups here...especially lacrosse. One of my favorite sights is watching several families at the picnic pavillion cooking, fishing and making memories. We have a full house during Beach Lacrosse weekend this June and I hope to see your family searching for turtles!

Evans falls, PA
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I wanted to find a less expensive place to stay for a few days for Easter. I did not want to spend too much , but I wanted a place that was clean and had amenties for my kids ages 3 and 7. I chose this resort because of the good reviews. Everyone's experiences are different whether you stay at the luxury hotel or a mid grade motel. Don't let the bad reviews scare you away. This was a great family resort for the price. I requested a remodeled room and it was updated with a flat screen TV, and a tempurpedic matress. It looked exactly like the picture on the website. I can't say how the older rooms are, but the room I stayed in was very clean. The staff was also very friendly. I even received a call from the front desk a few hours after checking in making sure my room was satisfactory and was asked if there was anything I needed. The pots and dishes available for use were very nice and not old and worn. The pool was very crowded due to a birthday party going on, but what do you expect it is an indoor waterpark it is going to be crowded. There were some kids getting out of hand, and the lifeguard on duty did yell very loudly for them to stop. It was nice to have a part of the pool that was 2 ft deep for my 3 year old, and a deeper part for my 7 year old. My one and only complaint was the noise level of the persons staying above us. The lack of insulation must contribute to the noise. Luckily they were only ther for one night of our stay. Next time I would ask for a room in the upper level, but I will stayat this resort again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank labluvr45
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 28 April 2011
Thank you for your comments. One of the changes we are installing for the next season is that we will no longer have birthday parties on weekends. When we first built the indoor pool we needed to build our base and thankfully our weekend business has reached that goal. We strive to give our families an affordable fun getaway and I am pleased that your family was able to enjoy each other! We look forward to seeing you family again soon!

VA
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We chose this hotel primarily because we were looking for an indoor pool and kid friendly environment. This place was NOT impressive upon driving onto the grounds. It looks like a run down old motel. The putt-putt golf is a joke. The indoor pool was about the only thing that was nice. We stayed in a room in the Pennsylvania building, which were supposed to be remodeled rooms. The bathroom was HORRIBLE! The toilet was filthy and actually was not scrubbed by the cleaning service until the second day of our stay. The toilet was supported by a piece of rotting wood. The water in the shower had an awful smell, the floors were filthy as well. I was not expecting Ritz Carlton standards, but a clean restroom is not much to ask for. I have learned my lesson. If the cost of the room seems too good to be true, it might be for a good reason. This place if far from a resort. I would NOT stay here again!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PBC001
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2011
I was able to speak with this poster and appreciate the constructive critique. This issue with the guest room bathroom should not have had to have been posted on TripAdvisor for me to be aware of the issue in this guest room. We ave contracted to have each of the bathrooms in the PA building re-caulked along with other guest rooms in need. Our normal protocal is to have this done in conjuntion with the bathrooms painted which is always a work in progress. Even with the maitenance issue a clean bathroom is expected from both our guests and myself. I am hoping that we are able to show this guest the FSK we should be on their next visit to Ocean CIty!