“Great Place”

Ranked #2 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
elkton, md
“Great Place”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

This resort is great!!! The kids had a blast at all the different pools. They loved to play volleyball....Free ride to boardwalk. Nice room....very clean...Thank you...Stacey

2 Thank happytimes_beach
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
Stacey,

Thanks for the comments. We realize that you have many choices and we are thankful your family choose us to spend to make some great Ocean City MD memories!

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Charles Town, West Virginia
Reviewed 4 July 2011

This was our second year in a row staying here and we love it. We are already looking into booking for next year.

We stayed from 6/25-7/1 in the New York Buiding.

Room has a small kitchenette. I wouldn't recommend trying to cook a meal in it, but for quick sandwiches, and little things, you can't beat it. Our toaster broke the first morning we were there so I called the front desk and within 10 minutes we had a new toaster delivered to the room, no questions asked. I was impressed at how quick they arrived with it.

All rooms are non-smoking, but they do have smoking area's outside, on the end of the buildings.

For being a family resort, where there are young children, our room was very quiet. We stayed on the upper floor of the building, so maybe this helped.

We are a family of 4 and the rooms are a little snug for 4 people and their luggage, but you don't spend much time in your room when on vacation. Both beds are only Full size, and there really wouldn't be room for a queen size in the room. Beds are very comfortable and are memory foam.

Internet service is provided free, but is terrible. We couldn't get on the net 2 of the days. I guess they haven't had a chance to get it up to speed yet.

The old big bulky TV's were changed out to nice flat screens sometime between last season and this one.

Our housekeeper Marta was fabulous and always had the room tip top and clean. Even the beach sand was always cleaned up when we would arrive back to our room in the evenings. Had a special animal made from towels on our bed each day she cleaned

Shower seemed a little snug. They could put the rounded shower curtain rods in, and would make a huge difference in the shower roominess.. The shower curtains kept hitting our body while showering. I am just use to shower doors at our house.

Free shuttle service is provided from the resort and drops you off 12 block from the boardwalk. Only drawback to this is that they stop running at 10pm, and should really consider extending the time until 11pm.

Laundry facilities are available, and are clean. We took advantage of this a couple nights while the kids were swimming. They are located in the same building, so this is very convienent

Onsite Cafe Route 50 Diner is a great value for quick meals.

Our kids loved the indoor pirate pool

We didn't meet a staff member who wasn't friendly or smiling.

It rained one night during our stay, and they had free DVD movies that you could check out and take to your room. They also had a free movies and popcorn in the main building.

We didn't take advantage of, so I don't know how good they are, but they have free onsite putt putt golf, volley ball nets, pirate ship outdoor splash area for little ones, outdoor pool, fishing pond, and picnic pavillion

Outdoor car vac for only 25cents and it works great on removing the beach sand.

The grounds are clean. I watched a young man 2 or 3 morning going around picking up litter.

Security walks and drives the grounds very often.

For the price you pay and the value that you get, I would highly recommend staying here and will be booking again soon for next year.

1 Thank SatisfiedVacati0ner
Thanks for giving such a complete review! Our movie nights in the Family Lounge have become a big hit...67 on Wednesday enjoyed movie and popcorn. The best compliment we receive is when we get nice comments about our staff. We are dedicated to keep improving each year and we hope we can continue to be a part of your families vacation memories!

Vauxhall, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We love OC because they cater to families. FSK is a good place to stay. It has so many things for the kids to do. My kids loved the indoor pool, outdoor spray ship and the playground. The room is good - could be a little larger. Love the amenities in the room, makes it convenient for families to prepare their own meals to save money. Need to have screens in the window to keep the flies out. The gym is very dissappointing, broken and old equipment. Don't use the laundry room, go to the laundry mat around the corner near the shopping market. The shuttle bus is ok but needs to be bigger and more of them to cut the wait time for the next one. All in all, we enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Thanks for coming back... We have two shuttles that run from 9am until 10pm. We do have some peak times that the wait times may be a little longer and we need to check our rider numbers to see if a third bus is feasible. You are correct about the gym equipment...we are in the process of replacing the original pieces that we purchased when the building opened in 2005. We have had comments of adding an additional laundry area and we are condidering that as well.

Hope to see you a third time!
Maryland
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We went for a one night trip to O.C. just yesterday,spent one night and now we're home. I've been wanting to try this "resort" for awhile now, but after reading some negative reviews I was hesitant to make a reservation. I showed up in person instead and asked the manager if I could see a room, and asked for the rate. The quote was higher by quite a bit than I had seen on their website just hours before arriving. When I pointed this out, I was told that there is a 10% discount online. I explained that I wanted to see the facilities before reserving since they have a negative online reputation, especially for cleanliness. If you read the other reviews here, you will see that for the negative, management will respond they handled it,but no detail. For the good reviews, she has plenty to say. Now, in my mind, this was an an opportunity for them to earn my business by saying well, please check it out, and we'll honor that price. In this economy, who would lose a customer over 10%? Well, FSK resort would!!! She gave me a key, but no offer of reducing the rate, and when we went into the room, the smell of cleaner and chemicals nearly knocked us out. This was a renovated room! We actually had to leave the door open to tolerate it. This "resort" is essentially a trailer park. There were ramshackle buildings with people standing around smoking in all the common areas, not only the "designated" ones. The indoor pool area is VERY small. The pirate slides are short,for only the youngest of children. And on top of it all, the buildings are priced higher the closer they are to these prime areas, but there is free parking at all of them, so why pay more? So, we go back and I walk in to return the key, and say that we are going to pass, and that I certainly wouldn't pay a premium to stay there because I didn't book online, when it is the same room, same day, and the reason I didn't is their bad reputation. I get a shoulder shrug and and the manager simply said "Ok". ***IF YOU ARE A FAMILY GOING TO O.C. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE ATLANTIC HOTEL ON SOMERSET. This hotel is where we ended up staying. We walked in, no reservation, got a room that was a whole 15 steps to the boardwalk (we counted) and after telling them about FSK, they offered beat that internet rate I was denied at FSK by 20.00 to get my business!!! Not only that it was impeccably clean, with a deck overlooking the Ripleys museum. Sparkling clean pool as well. Listen, the bottom line is this - you can go to Francis Scott Key and spend more, be far from all the action, either pay to park and have to drive/take the FSK shuttle (which we saw picking up/dropping people and was so small they could only take about 8 at a time,so the waits were more an hour than 20-25 minutes) and also have a painfully small room, albeit remodeled AKA new bedspreads , OR you can stay at the Atlantic, have a clean, cheap room, and come and go as you please with their free reserved parking and simply walk out the door onto the boards. Do what we did - if they don't need your money, take it elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a recently remodeled room!
2 Thank OCFanMaryland
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2011
As I begin to respond to the posters review I can't understand the level of negativity they have towards a property that they choose not to stay. We know we can't be all things to all people and we are pleased that the property that they did choose met their needs. We do have a set rate program and we do not alter the rate to fit the guest that walks through the door. We do offer discounts for booking on line, weekday stays, packages, weekly rates ect as most properties do.. If the smell of the cleaners that we used were an issue we could have easily rectified that situation if the guest choose to stay.. I am surprised that anyone would call our 6000 square foot indoor pool small. We are not a waterpark by any stretch but certainly not a postage stamp pool. The splash ground is intended for small children and that does mean small slides. We tried to have something for everyone from the splashground, outdoor pool and indoor pool to entertain all ages. We do not charge by building placement but by room type as some of our rooms have full kitchens, some just small compact refrigerators. We have two shuttle buses that run from 9am until 10pm that carry 15 passengers each along with beach gear. I am confused on how this poster is estimating wait times on our shuttle as over an hour as that is simply just not true. We are one mile from point to point and unless the bridge is up for boat traffic we have about 10-15 minute wait time. We have designated smoke areas and we do ask guests to respect those boundaries. Again, I am pleased that this poster had a great Ocean City experience at the Atlantic Hotel.

I can't believe that we are even being faulted for the way in which I respond to reviews. I contact every guest who has had a negative experience here at the Francis Scott Key...every one personally. I do not post our exact conversation but I do listen and learn and try the make the appropriate adjustments. I also acknowledge the positve reviews and try and thank the poster for taking their time to submit.

Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My wife and I and our two kids (girl 7, boy 2) just returned home from the FSK. This was our first visit to the FSK. From the minute we stepped foot on the property, every staff member we interacted with was extremely friendly and helpful. Especially the lifeguards at the indoor pool, where we spent a huge amount of time, the staff at the diner, and the bus driver on the shuttle bus. Throughout our whole stay it was evident that this is a kid and family friendly operation, and they're very good at it. Our room was nice and we were happy with it (newly renovated room, New York building) and overall the property was very well kept. While it's noticeable that the buildings are older, it's equally as noticeable that the entire staff take pride in keeping the whole place looking nice and clean. We ate in the diner twice and both meals were great. The second meal was at our daughter's request when it was her turn to choose where we ate. Both kids thought the theme and atmosphere were really neat. The indoor pool and the pirate ship were the biggest hits with our kids and they probably would have slept at either one if they could. Overall, the FSK is a great value. From a parent's viewpoint, there is so much to do and for the price you pay it is a great bargain. From a kid's viewpoint, there is so much to do and not enough time in the day or enough time on vacation. While the FSK is not the newest, most shiny place in town, it is definitely a diamond in the rough and worthy of a repeat visit or maybe even an annual visit. Mom and dad had a great time and, more importantly, our kids loved it. Thank you, FSK, for a great time. Keep on doing what you're doing.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank cac50
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Wow...love when our families have a great time. As parents we know that their is no greater feeling that watching your kids play and have fun and then drop into a exhausted nights sleep. We have tried to make our resort a family friendly place where you can always find something fun to do and not have to go into your pocket to pay for it. The Diner has been a great addition for our families to grab a meal. I love doing property walks and seeing and hearing the smiles and laughter coming from all directions. We hope to be able to serve you again soon!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Another Year Vacation at the Francis Scott Key. This year we stayed in a rancher room in the front. Last time I stayed in one of these was at least 25 years ago. It was okay, was very roomy we had a sofabed. If there is one thing that I have to comment on is the bathroom room 501. Some things I can understand like the black on the grout where the water shoots out of the shower. One thing that is hard for me to overlook is the metal mirror above the sink that is all rusty and the rust stains that are running down the wall below it. If the remedy is a tissue box on the sink below the mirror fyi....you need a Bigger box. That is just so gross! Anyway maybe someone will read this and will do something about it for future guests. Tried the 50's Diner which was much, much better than last year. Pools were great as always. Putt Putt has a little wear and tear, but kids still love it. Friendly staff, housekeeper was very polite, kept our room looking tidy......bus driver, wish I would have gotten his name, had a great personality and was very helpful. Grounds were well maintained.

1 Thank redfireflies
Thank you for your review. Before responding I placed your comments on both the maintenance and housekeeping lists. It will be fixed. We are so pleased that your family enjoyed the Diner. We are always trying to improve and thanks for the comments. We are an older property that is always updating and and our goal is to make our families feel at home with a clean and comfortable resort. We have great bus drivers and I will pass on your positive experience with them.

Hope to see you soon!
State of Confusion
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The hotel was nice enough - the pool was AMAZING!!! Our room smelled a little musty, though. We got febreeze and sprayed the room down so all was well after that.

Room Tip: OC Hotels have the
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank OwlTrippin
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 27 June 2011
I am so sorry that your room did not great you with a pleasant smell. That should never happen and I apologize. I am happy to hear that our pool was a hit with your family. I hope that we get to see your family again soon...next time with a better first impression!