“has more room for improvement”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #1 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
nyc
“has more room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

Our room is cleaner this time around, the ants are gone, but there are other bugs crawling on the ceiling. The booklet we got at checkin was most useful at smacking the flies. I think they came in during the time when the room was serviced. So on each of the 7 nights we stayed, I spent 10 minutes each night chasing them down in the room. For starter, management may want to consider installing lids on the trash bins on the porch to deter the flies. We also found french fries and tin foil food wrappings behind the dresser from the party before us.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank smc02
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write. Flies can be an issue as we are with the majority of our rooms opening to the outside. We require of houskeeping staff to keep the door open for security purposes while cleaning the room with their cart in front of the door. This does lead to flies entering the room. I like the suggestion of the lids for the cans and will add that to my list! Thank you. No excuse for your room not cleaned properly. Our housekeeping Manager will get a copy of this review as well.

Hope to see your family again here at the Francis Scott Key. We are dedicated to keep improving!

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Graysville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

Very nice hotel. We stayed here last year for one night before checking into our weekly rental and did the same thing this year on Friday, July 1st. I did not have reservations ahead of time, we called them at 8:30 p.m. that night and they had two rooms left in the main lodge. Front desk staff is very friendly. The room was a little dated but it was clean and we just needed it for sleeping anyways. They have a 50's diner that we ate breakfast at. They show clips of old cartoons at your table, kids really enjoyed that. They bring fresh sugar donuts to your table for breakfast as a starter, they are really good so we ordered more. Our breakfast was big and very good. We spent the day at the resort. There is an inside pool with a small slide, volleyball, hot tub and there is an outside pool and another outside pirate ship water playground where they sell slushies. There is a nice playground and free mini golf. They have a shuttle that takes you to the beach and boardwalk that runs all day, we did not take advantage of this but we always saw a shuttle coming around so it doesn't look like you have to wait too long. It is not beachfront, but if you are looking for a nice family hotel off of the beach, this is it.

Room Tip: Book ahead of time online to get a room closer to the pools.
1 Thank lovesgetaways32
Thanks for your great review and room tip...booking online also secures a 10% discount. Any room notes can be added when booking online and we do our best to meet requests! The mini doughnuts at the Diner are a bit addicting...Glad you enjoyed them! Hope to see you again soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

Overall, we sooooo enjoyed our stay at FSK. I would definitely (and have) recommended this to family/friends/coworkers. My husband and I along with our 4 and 6 y.o. even extended our stay by a night just to make sure we didn't have any regrets about leaving too soon.

However. . .there were 1 or 2 concerns. The worst is that my husband almost ate a dead beetle found under his pancakes at the Rt 50 restaurant!!!! YUCK! They did take care of the bill but left a sour taste in all of our moutjs...so I would advise skipping the restaurant as there were a few smaller issues as well. (Note - I told the front desk and she unmovingly replied...geez, sorry). The other problem was that our room's door lock was malfunctioned and at times became extremely irritating after being "fixed" and keys exchanged a few times. My 4 y.o. had an emergency bathroom visit and our keys didn't work....no comment necessary as I'm sure most of you with small kids can imagine. (Last small comment - while standing at front desk checking out saw a televised advertisement in the hotel indicating a rate much lower than what we paid)

All in all it was enjoyable. The shuttle worked very well, loved the small additions that made a huge difference (movie rentals, activities...even camera rentals I wish I knew about). Most importantly, family memories were made...my daughter learned how to swim in FSK's indoor pool! :)

1 Thank the_oneils
Wow...love that we will always be remembered for where you child learned to swim! Hate that you had such an awful incident at the Diner. Though that is not the norm I certainly understand the sour taste. We keep trying to add onto our amenties. Next here we are updating the putt putt and re-doing the ranch style rooms. We value your feedback and we learn from every comment.

Thanks again!
East Berlin, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Hi Everyone, I wrote the Bed Bugs Found...We Were Lied To Review and I wanted to write a response to it. Honeslty....when we left there..that is how we felt. After a long positive discussion with the Owner Annemarie and General Manager Heather...we feel that it was all a misunderstanding. We love FSK and that is why we have been coming back for 17 years. I think that things could have been handled differently when we were down at FSK and things would not have gotten so out of proportion. Annemarie agreed and I feel that many positive ideas came out of our discussion. I called the Pest Control Company and they assured me that there were No Bed Bugs at FSK. Please stay at FSK...they are a wonderful family resort and if you do not stay here you are missing out! Thank you Annemarie for being so understanding and caring...It was a very positive conversation and I am so glad we talked!

3 Thank Eshleman22
One of our greatest accomplishments here at the Francis Scott Key is that we have so many wonderful return guests...many for over 20 years. When we miss our mark and disappoint it is always upseting but for our long time guests even more so. We should have had better communication with this guest right from the beginning and I am blessed that we were able to have such a postive exchange. We look forward to seeing them again in September and many more years to come...

Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

It was our first stay at this resort...my wife found it on the web and we wnted a quick get away...friday, sat, and go home sunday.
I liked the location...very easy to get into and out of, and close to all we needed.
I liked the room...it is interesting to read the negative posts on this web site, and see just how picky (petty) some people can be...some of the complaints were things that seemed so small to me...but I guess we all have different views...my room was clean and modern (new jersey). We had 2 flies that hung out in the room, but i just assumed I let them in by accident...and did not see there presence as a biohazard. Beds were ok...just not everyones cup of tee...TV was new...room was overall very comfortable.
Liked all the pools...kids had a very good time with the Pirate pool...Diner was very good also...
Here is where it gets a litle strange...Friday night was fine...actually quiet and peaceful...Sat. night was different...I saw a lot of cars comming in to the place sat. afternoon...in and out...in and out...and by the time we got back to the resort from going out to the boardwalk...the resort had taken on a different air...Alot of beer,...alot of ink...alot of piercings... alot of rowdyness...alot of people just milling about in the parking lot late at night....it was louder than the night before...all of this i would have welcomed 15 years ago before the wife and kids...but at this point in my life, it was a little too much...it almost seemed as if people had just come in of off the street for the night...and the next morning took off...on sunday morning the full parking lot was empty...
I would suggest having a mandatory 2 night stay...keeps the one night stand guests out...if you have to be there for atleast 2 nights...maybe it would help...
I would probably go back to this place...Notice that my complaints are about other people...not the place.

Room Tip: new jersey building
4 Thank alotaink
Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We do have a two night minimum but on the weekend this guest stayed we had about 17 rooms that were only available for one night on how the reservations fell. It can change the atmosphere as most one night guests did not have reservations or plan on choosing a family resort...they were mostly walk ins on the same day.

We appreciate your undersatnding perspective and we hope to see you again in the future!

Lindenhurst, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

We just got back from FSK yesterday and we all miss it so much! It was me, my husband and our 3 year old son.

We stayed in the Maryland building, room 772. It was a nice room. This was one of the updated rooms and though it was very clean, I dont think wood paneling is "updated" at least in 2011 and the bathroom needed some updating for sure but for a motel room, it was so clean, you barely noticed the dated style. I did pay extra for the updated room so I am curious what the other rooms looked like.

The shuttle bus was terrific! We never waited more than 10 minutes and never had to wait for the next bus because it was too full. When I told people we were staying a mile away from the beach, they thought I was crazy but because of the shuttle, we felt like we were right there.

The amenties are what makes this place so amazing! From the pools and mini golf to the small things like dvd rentals and towel animals on the bed, we will never stay anywhere else! My son is young but I think because he was happy for the whole trip... he will remember this for a long time.

All of the staff were super friendly even if alot of them had an accent of some sort (Russian maybe?) that I had to ask "What?" a couple of times.

The 50's diner was decent... nothing to write home about but fair prices and ok food. I dont mind paying a little extra for convience so it was great for breakfast or a quick dinner. Of course the touch screen tv's at each booth were a hit with my son!

Out of the 4 days we spent in Ocean City, the day we spent only at FSK was our favorite.

Room Tip: Book early! We booked months in advance and from time to time, I would look at their website and th...
2 Thank DianeCor
Thanks for the review....I love that your day spent here was the highlight. We have been working hard to try and make an affordable place where families can vacation and be entertained without having to spend any additional money.

Great tip....Book early and save! We also have great weekday packages from 15% off to a free night!

Hope to see your family again soon!
Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

We just arrived home from FSK---our stay was great!!! Staff was friendly and helpful, the room was comfortable. I especially enjoyed the Carribean Themed indoor pool---this kept our 3 year old busy, not to mention when booking ahead you never know what mother nature will bring. we are already planning our vacation for next year---FSK makes it super easy!!!!

Room Tip: ask the sales team for options to suit your family
1 Thank Britheart1
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
We try and have something here for all ages and we are pleased that your three year old had a ball. The indoor pool is great in the summer as we can open up the ceiling and let the sun in on good weather days and have refuge from the rain on the bad ones.

We look forward to seeing you on your next stay in Ocean City!