“Excellent value”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #7 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Everything is there you could ask for, I would maybe recommend an hr extension at night for pool and activities, but other then that, everything was great. perfect stay for the family and if you like going to the beach, hop on shuttle, drops you off less then a block on somerset from boardwalk, cant beat that or if you just want that get away, the kids have alot to do, and poolside is awesome. already tried to book for next year but have to wait til October. this was our second year of staying here... stayed Sunday til Friday and the entire trip, not a rude person was met that worked there.

Room Tip: we loved the kitchenette room for the week, did a little cooking, and had more space too, worth the...
1  Thank Robin D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We have stayed here for the last two years and again this year in Aug. We stay on Thurs and Fri and then move to our Condo in OC for the rest of the week. We look forward to it every year. We are treated very well, pools are clean, rooms are clean. Kids love to play the little golf course and fish. It is a great two days stay. It might not be the Hilton, and if that is what you are looking for, then by all means stay at the Hilton, but the kids won't have as much fun...

Room Tip: We stayed in the Main lodge last year and the room was very nice with lots of room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Pegaroo_12
Management response:Responded 15 July 2012

Kids are the customer! We do cater to our younger guests and we are so pleased that the grandkids love it. We have grown over the last 10 years to add several amenities all with kids and families in mind! Thanks for choosing the Francis Scott Key as we know you have many choices!

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Been coming for 15 years and we've been able to extend our stays over the years-only thing-it gets harder to leave each year! There is not just one thing we love about FSK but many-convenience(outlets/beach/onsite amenities/nearby activities/Assateague Island horses/Boardwalk & beach/shopping....)the value and the awesome staff. Every year I get a little nervous before our trip because I think this year can NOT be as great as last year BUT the FSK has never let us down. I know I sound like I am getting paid for this and in way I am I guess. My family and I get paid in good times, kind and helpful staff and experiences of a lifetime! Thank you Francis Scott Keys Family Resort!! See you next year!

Room Tip: Ay room that faces the outdoor Pool, Mini-Gulf and playground area!
1  Thank sheilaj320
Management response:Responded 15 July 2012

Thank you so much for all the great comments. We are so blessed to have so many wonderful loyal families that visit each year! We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 9 July 2012

The room smelled and had ants in it. The employees at the front desk are very rude and not helpful. Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
3  Thank dcp1100
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

I have tried contacting this poster via Tripadvisor as I have little to follow up with. I did look up both rooms we had in this week from this posters city but did not see any notes indicating an ant problem or housekeeping issues.

We pride ourselves on good hospitality and rudeness should never be tolerated. We are not perfect but we do try and rectify any issues when they happen.

I am hoping this poster contacts me directly so I can make any necessary adjustments to make us a better family resort.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My family just returned from staying at FSK for the first time (week of July 2nd, 2012) and while my kids absolutely loved the amenities my husband are conflicted as to if we should stay here again next year because of the room noise/thin walls. See below.

Pros:
Indoor pool
Splash park
Friendly staff (the lifegaurds there are really great)
50s diner has FREE donuts :)
Kids activities
Clean rooms

Cons:
Small beds
Thin walls (you can hear everything)

We stayed in an upgraded room w/ kitchenette (New York) on the first floor and me and my husband could barely sleep because of the loud stomping above us. It would have been nice for things to be quieter (or even if quiet hours would start at 10pm instead of 11pm). There was also a really loud creaking sound that would follow for 30 seconds after the people above us would run the water or flush the toilet. I think there was an issue with the pipes. On Friday, the power went out in our building for about 8 hours at night and while the front desk was friendly they didn't have many details on what occured or how long the outage would last. We have two boys aged 7 and 2 and were worried when the temperature started to rise in the room. The rooms were very clean just smaller than what we are used to.

That being said It was not all bad. Since we were on vacation we didn't spend a whole lot of time in our room. What I will say is that I really appreciated the nice staff and all of the wonderful activities they have for children. My children loved all the water activities- they even had an indoor pool word search. It really saves money because we didn't need to pay to go to a waterpark this year as the kids just wanted to stay at FSK the entire time. Plus there is free fishing with rods and bait provided. Me and my husband also met some other families while playing volleyball in the pool.

If anything we may try to book really early to stay in a cabin or second level room at FSK or opt for a closer location to the beach if all of the cabins are full next year. I was going to give three stars but had to upgrade my review to four stars because of all the amenties for children.

Room Tip: Higher level room or cabin may be less noisy.
1  Thank teka2012
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you so much for such a detailed review. We do try and make our younger guests happy but our adults are just an important! We do only offer standard double beds in all our guest rooms but they are Tempurpedic mattresses! We do offer complimentary sound machines for guest use and we do try to keep our quiet hours strictly in effect.

We did have a transformer blow at 1:47am and the power company was on property by 2:35am. Our maintenance manager had located the pole to expediate the process but the line had also blown requiring a different team to be sent out. We tried to keep our guests updated as they called in but we were at the mercy of Delmarva Power. We were restored by 8:20am.

We are so appreciative of families like yours that have choosen to spend their family vacations with us. Thank you!

Reviewed 1 July 2012

6 more days until we leave for our family vacation at FSK. My husband and I have been coming to FSK for quite a few years but have been coming for a long weekend with our 2 sons, 1 daughter, their spouses and grandchildren for the past 4 years. Everyone looks forward to our time there and hate leaving. There is so much for all of us to do and I love being a kid again when I am there. Yes, the pirate ship is more for younger kids, but I love it as much as the kids do! Mini golf, fishing, the pools, movie night, great breakfast at the diner...oh how I hope our time goes at a snail pace! Every time I talk to someone about Ocean City, I recommend FSK. Yes it's an older hotel but it's always been clean and the staff is always wonderful and you can tell the owners honestly care about their guests having a great vacation. There is not a hotel in Ocean City that offers half of the amenities that FSK offers. If you are considering a stay at FSK, don't hesitate. Take the negative comments with a grain of salt and enjoy yourself like we do. Or you can go stay at the Hilton and spend over $500 a night and get what?....a fancy room? Well, if you spend all of you're vacation in your room you might as well stay home and save yourself lots of money. As for me, I will be in count down mode until 5 a.m. Saturday. FSK here we come!

1  Thank momnanny
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

We can't wait till Saturday! Your review hits our sentiments exactly. We have invested these last 10 years in trying to build a family fun enviroment that allows families to re-connect. We are renovating our rooms but again if a guest is expecting a 5 star resort in accomodations..that is not us. We are dedicated to providing a clean, fun, family centered expereince to great families like yours!

Reviewed 27 June 2012

My family stayed in the Pennsylvania building for a weekend and we had a great time. Yes, the rooms are dated, but who cares, they are clean. My son loved the Pirate Ship and the indoor pool. We had a great time, and all I can say is THANKS!!! We will definately be back.

1  Thank Jennifer A
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Thanks for your review~ Glad that you enjoyed your weekend. The pirate ship is the hot spot for the 10 and under crowd! Hope to see you all again soon!

Annemarie Dcikerson