“Cleanliness not top priority”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #5 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 23 August 2012 via mobile

Our stay here was bittersweet. Amazing pool, spray ground pirate ship and shuttle. That was the sweet part of out stay. The room which was in the lodge was bitter. Our first and only complaint to the front desk was about the horrible mold smell in our room and what appeared to be throw up outside our room. They did make note of it and during one of our treks to the room with luggage there was a maid sitting next to it spraying what appeared to be water on it. Then she left never to return. The floor was never cleaned up so we avoided the area at all cost. After seeing that and realizing the maid staff doesn't care about cleanliness - I am guessing because there is no one following up on them- we did not complain about how filthy the bathroom was. There was buildup around the faucet that went into the sink every time it got wet. The shower tiles need to be tilexed desperately. And we found a fork under the table...hmmmm what else do they ignore then. For a family on a very tight budget this was a disappointing stay. I wish I could say the 3 amenities we did enjoy made up for it but it didn't come close. I think management and owners need to find a better way to ensure cleaning is being done properly.

• Stayed: August 2012
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2012

We are disappointed that we did not meet the expectations of this family. We did have a guest that was sick in the hallway. We did clean the spot but needed to have the area steam cleaned which was done the day after these guests departed along with several guest rooms on that floor. The second floor Lodge is one of the floors that is getting a facelift this winter....but still should always have clean guest rooms and bathrooms. If we had been told that the bathroom needed attention we would have sent a staff member to service the room. No, we should not have to be asked to do what is expected but we take it very seriously when we have been taken on notice. All the bathtubs in the Main Lodge will be re-glazed as we do have well water here, and even with our great treament system it can leave a stain on the tubs. They are clean but do not have the shine we expect. We take great pride in our property and the cleanliness of our rooms but we are not always perfect. It is these honest comments that guide our procedures and hopefully keep this from re-occuring.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

There is so much to do! Right on the resort! We go the same time as my mom and grandmother, aunts and cousins. This year there were 9 of us ages 4 to 80 and we all had a blast!
My daughter, 4, loves the spray ground and indoor pool. I love the putt putt being right out front:-)
We all love the shuttle right to the board walk, the friendly staff, and the week always flies by!

1  Thank Kmac1414

Multi-generational fun! I love it. We do try and have something for everyone. Thanks for the kind words and we hope to see your family again soon!

Reviewed 23 August 2012

We were excited to stay after all the great reviews, but were SOOOO disappointed with our stay.
Arrived at check in time (3pm) and went to get something to eat at the 50's diner, but they close at 3?? Interesting welcome, but not a big deal. Dropped luggage off and went into town for evening. Came back late, we were literally in the room 10 minutes when the power and water went out. Went to front office to check out the situation as our 5 yr old daughter was scared to death of the pitch black. Manager on duty Ben [--] could care less about our situation. (No shower, no air conditioning and a screaming 5 yr old). I get that the power going out was not their fault but he was rude and told us if we were unhappy, we could check out. The power finally came on an hour and a half later.
Went to front office in morning to talk to manager/owner, and the General Manager was there, but declined to speak with me. Per front desk rep, wanted to send me on my way with a 10% off on our next stay, like we wanted to come back. I would have just been happy to have someone speak to me without being rude or blowing me off!
Probably fine place if nothing out of ordinary happens, just know if anything goes wrong, you will not be taken care of!

2  Thank Alas2012
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

I have sent a message to this poster via Tripadvisor. Though we can not be held resposible when a power grid is down how we react to our families and their concerns is all on us. I spoke with a couple of families the morning after as did our General Manager and everyone was very understanding. I can't imagine a scenerio in which we would ever tell a guest we were here but would not speak to them. I apologize if this guest felt put off or offended. That was not the intention. We offered 10% off future stays and in some cases if possible extended checkout for guests that voiced their concerns with the power outage. We told the desk staff they could extend this offer without needing permission so perhaps that is why we were not contacted. I hope I am able to speak with this guest and that they will return in the future.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

I'm a special case. My job makes planning over-nights in resort towns, 'problematic'. No matter how detailed or demanding I might get, however, Becky was able to manage my reservation with professionalism and a smile. (I won't bother explaining what I put her through, but suffice it to say most people would have contacted their voodoo priestess for a doll...)

My group is comprised of serious fishermen who enjoy being not-so-serious at times. We all have nicknames and when Anne asked me to 'name' the occupants of the second room I had reserved, I, of course, included the nicknames. Upon their arrival, they were greeted using those monikers and that set the tone for the rest of the stay.

Fishing being our prime objective, the resort is adjacent to the Ocean City Fishing Center and very nearby the Sunset Marina. Both have a rock-solid charter fleet, ship's store and restaurant. There are tons of other eating and drinking establishments close by as well. If you choose to cross the bridge and go into OC proper, it is just a minute or two to the beach, boardwalk and the multitude of shops.

Rooms are clean and reasonable and the staff is exceptional. The only issue I had was the internet infrastructure is not robust enough to manage all the traffic. We simply could not get online during normal hours. For some of us, that is a blessing.

Highly recommend these good folks and their resort!

Sandy Green AKA 'Beamer'

Room Tip: If you are an early to bed type, try to get one of the Ranch Rooms in buildings 400 or 500 if you ca...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Beamer4888
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Thank you for you review. When reading this I couldn't wait to share with Becky! She had the biggest smile and her first comment was "They were the best guests!". We love our fisherman and we try to be as accomodating as possible as the weather does not always comply. It is true we are surrounded by some of the areas best restaurants and marinas!

We did have a meshing problem with the WIFI while you were here. The problem has been addressed and three pieces of equipment will be replaced. As WIFI traffic continues to increase we will also try to keep pace as we realize it is important for our guests...but I agree sometimes it is nice to be off the grid!

Hope the fish were biting and we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2012

This was our 4th year in a row spending time at the FSK, and it didn't disappoint. Always something for the kids to do, and I like the fact that they're always improving and adding something new. The snack bar at the indoor pool was a great addition.
I have to shake my head at the people nitpicking that the rooms aren't brand new or fancy. Were you really expecting the Ritz Carlton for approximately 160 bucks a night in Ocean City?? The place is not a dump at all, the rooms are very nice for the price, and most importantly, they are very clean. I noticed a carpet cleaning company in and out of various rooms during our stay, which tells me the carpets are routinely professionally cleaned. Our kids loved that the cleaning staff left a towel folded up like a crab on their bed! Already looking forward to our 5th stay in a row next summer!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank pscott520

Thank you so much for your review. No, we are not the Ritz but just a family owned business that trys to offer a memorable vacation spot at an affordable price. We are always investing in our property and our goal is is to meet or exceed our guests expectations. We know your family has choices when selecting a place to stay and we appreciate your business!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

This is a great hotel if you have very young children and plan to hang around the premises for a lot of your entertainment. There's a nice pool playground for the little ones, and they also offer kiddie movies, art lessons, and various contests. If you want to leave, the beach shuttle was very reliable and ran in a continuous loop with very little wait.

If you have OCD or fancy yourself to be the hotel inspector, you would not like this place. It is clean--in fact the maid service was better than in a lot of fancy places I've stayed in--but there's a lot of chipping paint, holes in the caulk, etc. The more negative reviews are, unfortunately, pretty accurate about that kind of thing.

Would I recommend this hotel? Definitely to families with young children, but not to adults looking for a quiet, luxurious or romantic resort.

Room Tip: There are supposedly renovated rooms that cost a bit more. It may be worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kimberly W

Thank you for your honest comments and taking the time to write. We are definitely a kids zone here at the Francis Scott Key. Though we do have couples that enjoy staying here we are not what you would clasify a romantic adult themed property.

As parts of our hotel are 60 years old we have and will continue to make improvements. The Main Lodge which was built in 1952 was completely restored in 2010. We gutted the entire first floor and everything from flooring, windows, electric, fire protection spinklers, siding ect was completed. Though we do exterior paint each year, power washing and normal wear causes the paint chips on the buildings and steps. One of the considerations for projects this winter is replacing all railings with vinyl along with the steps using vinyl and trex.

With 14 acres and 26 independant buildings the exterior maintenace is a full time job that we have been focusing on improving these last three years. We are also half way through replacing all guest room furniture and carpet as well. We still have work to do and we are committed to always improving while keeping our prices family affordable.

We hope to see your family again soon!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

This was our third stay at Francis Scott Key and they keep getting better and better. The staff at FSK could not have been any nicer, from the pleasant housekeeping staff to the shuttle bus drivers and it's these people who make this a truly great resort.
Our 3 year old twins had a blast at the sprayground and my older 6 year old son had fun swimming at the outdoor pool. We went fishing at the pond located on the property, and he caught his first fish. We also loved the new concession stand inside the indoor pool area.
We love the fact that we know what we are getting when we book this hotel. They truly seem to care for their guests and it shows.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jason S

Thank you so much! We do care about our guests and their experience here at the Francis Scott Key. Can't wait for your fourth visit!

Annemarie Dickeson