“The indoor pool is basically the key highlight here.”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #5 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Baltimore
“The indoor pool is basically the key highlight here.”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The indoor pool is, of course, wonderful! Tons of kids having a blast with the slide, volleyball net, splashdown things. The golf course was okay, something fun to occupy time, even though it was the middle of winter lol. I think the indoor pool is the key highlight to this hotel. A lot of the other aspects are just mediocre. This is an older hotel/motel/whatever you want to call it so it's not expected to be brand new but to my adult eye, (these are things that I noticed, and my child didnt seem to mention) the golf course was somewhat dingy, and there was a tile in the kitchen area of our room, that was missing, leaving a black hole where the tile would have been, there was a beer cap from a previous guest left next to the night stand, and the bathroom...the light fixture didnt have a cover(not sure if it was supposed to) and the tub drain was pretty dirty with scum (greenish blue stains on the metal). We love that they have dvd players in the room, that's a nice feature. Upon arrival, there was an Orkin man parked out front and when we walked in, he was walking out with a vacuum, Eek! I get that bugs are a problem industry wide, and I guess it's good that they are "taking care of" the problem but that was a little discerning to see. We didnt have bugs, that I know of, so that's good. The employees are friendly enough. They are doing some renovations on some buildings But it just feels like something similar to having a really old car and throwing some new paint on it but the inside is still dingy and the motor is starting to run like h***.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank beach_fever_9
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
I have to agree in the off season our indoor pool is the highlight of what we offer at the Francis Scott Key. We offer low off season rates and along with the indoor pool, arcade and fitness area at the Caribbean Key we also offer movie nights in the family lounge on weekends . We also have complimentary DVD rentals and board games guests can check out. We are in the process of replacing railings and steps on 9 buildings, updating our wifi and we are going through every guest rooms making any needed repairs and replacing all shower curtains. In the past four years we replaced the carpet and furniture in all 232 guest rooms and replaced every television with flat screens and DVD players. All guest rooms have tempurpedic mattresses. It is true our mini golf is dated and we will be making adjustments in the spring but the entire area is due to be replaced in 2015 with a new outdoor swimming pool, mini golf, bar, family and adult hot tubs that we are calling Shipwreck Cove. We have amazing loyal guests that we are dedicated to and we try to give a great experience at a reasonable price. As for Orkin they are contracted with us and do inspections and preventive treatments monthly . I hope your family enjoyed the indoor pool and made some memories !!

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We reserved two rooms with kitchenettes for our children and grandchildren for a winter holiday visit. We live nearby but wanted them to experience all the fun at the Francis Scott Key Family Resort. Everyone enjoyed the clean, updated rooms, but the real favorite for the grand kids was the indoor Caribbean pool and arcade. 9which by the way is warm and cozy) With all that Ocean City MD has to offer off season, it was a perfect weekend for our family. The entire staff is friendly and eager to assist in any way possible. We hope to repeat this fun winter event next year!

Room Tip: We requested rooms near the pool for our winter visit.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cubbydog
Thank you so much for your review . Though the off season is different from summer it is still a great time to make memories with family . We are happy your family enjoyed their stay. See you again soon!

Preston, Maryland
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We have stayed here a few times the past years. Always love the pool for our winter getaways. I was disappointed this last visit. We had cockroaches crawling out of our mini kitchen cabinets. We did not see this until we woke up. We did a check out shortly after. I was taken aback by the front desks response. So I didn't think to get a name. When my husband commented on the cockroaches her response was "we have not cleaned for the winter." Besides for this incident we have always enjoyed our November stays for our sons birthday.

3 Thank Melissa T
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
I had the opportunity to speak to the grandmother who booked the stay for her grandson today. We try to always be proactive for pest control issues and we take immediate action when we are guest notified. We clean our rooms daily of course but in the off season we do deep cleaning in our guest rooms in both fall and spring. We sent an email the day after the guest checked out and it would have been sent to the person who made the reservation and was not received by the actual guests who stayed. I have re-sent the email and offered the family to oversee every aspect of their next stay from reservation to check out. We are blessed to be part of many family traditions and hope to continue with this family!

Harrington, Delaware
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We show horses in this area alot and also come to Ocean City for other events, Everyone in the family prefers to stay here. Great indoor pool with a bar, spacious rooms and easy access to your room. Even the beds are comfortable.

1 Thank DawnK24
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you...our Tempurpedic mattresses are a big hit! They are allowing horseback riding on our beaches now in the off season...hopefully you can enjoy that next time!

Merry Christmas!
Milton, Delaware
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I booked a one night stay for my 10-year old son and a friend for his birthday. Check in was super easy, the room was done and they had no problem accomodating us with an hour early check in. The pool was a blast. The lifeguard was very interactive with all of the kids and adults. The pool bar/concession was also very friendly. We took advantage of the free DVD check out and watched a movie in the room and ate pizza. What a great time and the kids said it was the BEST PARTY EVER!!!! To me, the beds were amazing! I slept like a baby!!

Room Tip: In my opinion, who wants to cook while on vacation or overnight stay? We opted for the more spaciou...
1 Thank nicoleb730
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Best party ever!! I love that! Our indoor pool has generated tons of memories and I am so glad we have added yours to the list...and our beds our Tempurpedic so the great night sleep is owed to them!!!

Hope we don't have to wait for another birthday to see you again!

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I never write reviews. That being said, I continue to be amazed at the negative ones about FKS. We had an amazing week. It was clean,comfortable and cozy. Yes could hear the noise from the
other room, but no different from hearing my kids in the house. Never needed anything from the staff. But all seem friendly. Bus service was excellent! If you are worried about bed bugs (which I do) look thoroughly first before bring your stuff in the room. The only down side is double beds. Only because my kids are teenagers and no longer small. But it was only a week, not forever. We had lost my mother, sister in law, then my father all in one year. It was so get away for a week as a family. I've told so many people about this place. Has something for someone of any age. To relax and take a breath, and make Great Memories. Thank You.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Biz72
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It sounds as though your family had a trying year and we are so glad we could place some happy memories for you. We are dedicated to trying to give a family fun experience and I am glad that we hit the mark with you all.

Hopefully we will see you all again soon and 2014 will be a great year for all!

Pasadena, Maryland
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife and I took our infant son last March and we had a great time. I was expecting a glorified motel but the indoor pool was much nicer than I anticipated as well as the $3 landsharks at the pool bar!! We opted for a room with the mini kitchen and were able to cook all our meals there with no problem, the room was clean and pretty spacious. The staff were all extremely nice and accomodating.

We went in March on a St Patrick's Day special and I forget the details but the whole weekend trip cost us around $150 and we got all sorts of coupons and gift cards. After our stay we decided right then and there this was going to have be a yearly winter trip for us. We already booked another stay the end of November and will probably go again the next time they have another good special in Jan or Feb.

This place is perfect for a weekend getaway especially in the winter, I can't say enough good things about it. The beach is just a couple miles away if that and there is a Starbucks and lots of dining options close by.

Room Tip: Keep an eye out for the specials online! The rooms with the kitchenettes have been recently updated...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John L
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thanks for you great review. We do offer special weekends all through the fall, winter and spring! The indoor pool is a great place to escape the winter blues... We look forward to seeing your family again soon!