“Fantastic place for the family”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #3 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Maryland
“Fantastic place for the family”
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We are always very pleased with our stay at the FSK. During the summer there are plenty of things to do for the kids (fishing, candy bingo, scavenger hunt, cardboard box races, etc. ALL FREE) Where else can you borrow a DVD or a game from the front desk on the honor system??? The staff is always very helpful and pleasant. We stay there during the 2 cars shows (May and October) and 7-10 days during the summer and sometimes take a couple long weekends at other times. We love the the FSK!!!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank pinkmom
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2009
Thank you for your kind comments. We are looking forward to a wonderful summer for 2009. We have extended our childrens program to seven days a week and our shuttle service will now run an hour earlier (9am to 10pm) to extend the beach and boardwalk fun. We look forward to seeing you and your family soon!

Annemarie Dickerson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
NY
Reviewed 1 May 2009

There is some serious room for improvement with the customer service folks handling the reservation line. I have never stayed here but I am trying to obtain information to book a first time visit this summer; yet, I am rushed off the phone every time I call (3 times, 3 different reps; there will not be a 4th) Given the economy, it is cruicial to provide exceptional customer service if you are to remain viable. I hung up wondering if there was some fine print that stated a "no more than 2 questions allowed per call" This stuff matters to people.

Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
amdinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 2 May 2009
I am very surprised and disappointed to read your review of trying to get a reservation with us. The phone lines can be extremely busy or slow with no reason. I am on the reservation lines daily and we do have sudden spurts of overwhelming calls but it seems that you have had this happen more times then is acceptable. If you call us for reservations (and I hope you do) please ask for me - Annemarie Dickerson - and I will handle your information personally. I am in Monday - Friday and most Saturdays till June. Please leave a message if I don't answer as I may be on the property but not at my phone. I will respond promptly. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. We are expanding our staff and training now for summer season so hopefully this will not happen again.

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I'll just get this out of the way right off the top: What is with the water in this place? All I could think of was Wesson cooking oil coming out of the showerhead. It actually made me slippery! It even made the tub slippery! I'm not crazy: My boyfriend said the same thing. And my aunt & uncle were staying in a room in another building and they said the same thing. (They've actually stayed at the FSK before and they said the water was also like that during their first stay.) It is very bizarre because you don't feel like you're getting clean. And it doesn't matter how long you stand under the water rubbing yourself: It doesn't ever get NOT slippery!

Also, I'm not sure who those guys were in the next room but there were a LOT of them. And they had a bunch of big trucks parked outside. They were up both mornings before the crack of dawn and were very, very noisy. Both mornings (we're talking, like 4:00 a.m.), they flung their front door open and a bunch of them kept coming outside, talking loudly and smoking right next to our door and window! The cigarette smoke was coming right into our room. And there was no getting back to sleep because they wouldn't shut up and they were banging around in the room. This isn't really a management problem except that maybe they could do a better job of not letting groups of 10 people sneak into one room. (How though?)

The room was dark and old-fashioned but had incredible amenities. The kitchen cabinets were fully stocked with everything you could need to prepare a meal and entertain right there in the room! The beds were apparently Tempur-Pedics and were amazingly comfortable.

The front desk people were super-nice and because we purchased a package, we got a beach bucket (& shovel) in which we found all kinds of great gift certificates for area shopping & dining. Very cool!

All in all, we had a bad experience but I can't really blame it on management. If we were in a different room (or if the guys next door were in a different room), I'd have been very pleased. I would stay again and I would recommend it to others--but I'd be sure to mention that cooking-oil-as-water situation. Otherwise, the place is actually pretty awesome.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikePhilly
amdinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2009
First off, thanks for your honest review. The issue with our water is that we have well water in West Ocean City. We have a commercial grade water conditioner for the entire property but it does have a different "feel" as you mentioned. The noise issue I believe is directly related to a group of rooms we had staying with us working on the Rt. 50 bridge. I am sorry that their early departure caused your group to be disturbed. We do try and address the smoking issue with charges to guests who smoke in their room and when we do property walks we ask our guests to smoke in the designated smoking areas located thoughout the property. Most guests follow our smoking policies but some just will not - will even pay the fee up front. This is a tough issue and we are working on positive solutions. We do have people who bring extra guests to the property to use our pool. This is why we are so strict with our arm band procedure as we want our paying guests to have access to our amenities. The guest rooms are now in the process of getting new energy efficient light bulbs. To date we have 172 completed with 50 left to be completed by May 1st. It makes a huge difference in the rooms and they use less energy - win - win. I am glad that your issues didn't overwhelm your overall experience with us. When returning please call and ask for me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation. Thanks again!
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 7 March 2009

We stayed here with our 1-year-old in October because we had read such positive reviews on this site. The "family resort" is really just your average motel with a fun pool. There wasn't anything particularly special about the accommodations, and it was actually quite difficult for us to get a crib for our baby (not very family friendly). I had called the front desk before our stay to inquire about the type and availability of cribs. I was told it wouldn't be a problem to get one and that they had Graco brand Pack 'n Play cribs. When we checked in I was told we could not have a crib in our room (a 6-person room but there were only 3 of us) because it was against fire codes. After asking to speak to a manager they eventually conceded that we could have the crib because we didn't have 6 people sleeping in the room. The staff then began looking for an available crib which seemed difficult. The eventually found a rickety metal crib (not the brand and type they had claimed to provide).

The "Caribbean Key" sounds nicer than it is, but I could understand kids enjoying it. It's an indoor pool with a Caribbean/pirate theme and play equipment that pours/sprays water around. There are a couple slides and play rafts to float on.

The included breakfast was surprisingly nice and they didn't mind that we were taking the meal back to our room to eat.

We were in town during an antique car show so it was quite load with old cars and motorcycles revving their engines late at night. Between that, the crib situation, and the marginally clean and run down room, I would not come back to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank VATravelFans
amdinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 7 March 2009
I would like to begin in saying that this poster has a point about our Resort in October. Many of our amenities are seasonal ( the sprayground, outdoor pool, childrens rec programs, 18 hole mini golf, shuttle service and pool bar). In the off season the center of our property is the Caribbean Key Indoor pool. We offer very reasonable rates and packages to our guests but the warm spring and summer months are really when guests can enjoy our 14 acres and atmosphere. We strive to be a clean, friendly family location and we always learn from guest input. Never should a crib request be an issue and I apologize for that. Having a clean property and rooms is a top priority and these comments have been forwarded to our housekeeping department. If this guest would like to contact me directly I would welcome any direct feedback.
Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2009

We started staying at the Francis Scott Key 50 years ago. We lived in Crofton, Maryland. It was so convenient to go to the Ocean. Staying there was more quiet at night, but so close to the Ocean. The FSK had all antiques. They served dinner each night in the Dining Room. I am now widowed, but for many years, my husband and two daughters had such fond memories of our stays. About 40 years ago, they sold all of the antiques, and a couple bought the Resort. They no longer ran the restrurant, but the service was wonderful. My family was chosen to be put on the brouchure for the Resort. Nice, Nice memories.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank Sunlover037
berlin
Reviewed 12 February 2009

me and my family stayed at the hotel for a week. we loved the loom and the great pool for the kids. but the best part of all was the PIZZA! there is a great little carry out place called lombardis neer the hotel that delivers! it was the best thing since sliced bread! they had the best pizza i had ever had! if you ever stay in the area go to lombardis carry out in west ocean city!!!

• Liked — the pizza
  • Disliked — the cold
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
berlin
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We had family stay at the hotel ans we were invited to the pool. We had cards to the pool, which were sold by the FSK. It seems they dont honor those cards any longer. What a scam, sell cards and dont honor them. The person at the desk was very rude to my mother and her grand daughter. We have been living here for over 30 years and had alway told out of town friends to stay there, never agin.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ocman123
fskinoceancity, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 10 February 2009
I would ask this poster to contact me personally. We are unable to allow outside guests to use the Caribbean Key indoor pool as Worcester County regulations will not allow us to do so as we are not classified as a public pool. Because of this we began a "locals package" that allow guests within a 60 mile radius to enjoy a hotel room, large one topping pizza from Lombardi's and swimming for the check in and check out day for $70 including tax for a family of four. We have no excuse for rude at the front desk and I am sorry that the above option wasn't offered for your family. I will follow through on that issue. I apologize and again would like to speak you directly. - Annemarie Dickerson Owner