“WOW! Could not have ask for anything better. Will be comming back”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Pennsylvania
“WOW! Could not have ask for anything better. Will be comming back”
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Close to everything, The rates are great, everything you need is right there, People are so friendly,[ GREAT PLACE FOR CHILDREN ] They make you feel at home, Your personal belongings are safe. If you have a expensive car, or moter cycle, You don't have to worry about it on the lot. All these things mean a lot. Trust me you have to check this place out. You can't go wrong Thank you Sincerely Sharon Boyles Pennsylvania

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank melstree
amdinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2009
Thank you for your kind words about the Francis Scott Key. We take pride in our wonderful co-workers and our property. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. I will be sure to pass on the compliments to our staff!!

Sincerely
Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
philly
Reviewed 26 May 2009

The rooms at FSK are not the best. They are older, but most have been recently renovated. They are quite dark, also. Having said that, this is a motel at the beach and I have found that even the higher priced hotels along the ocean aren't all that nice. We stayed June '08 for 3 nights and had a blast. Our 6 year old loved the pools (there is one outdoor, one indoor) and the Pirate Sprayground provided her with hours of fun! We also took advantage of our free game of mini golf that was offered. One night, after returning from the boardwalk, we borrowed a board game from the lobby. The free shuttle was the greatest thing! No looking for parking at the beach! It also forced us to scale down the amount of things we were bringing to the beach - yeah!

We really had a fantastic trip and are looking forward to our second stay next month! I really recommend this motel for families. There is so much to do. Just keep in mind that the rooms are slightly dingy...not dirty, just older.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank traydiggs
amdinoc, owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 2 June 2009
Thank you for your comments. We have placed energy efficient higher wattage bulbs in all guest rooms. We feel it has greatly increased the brightness in the room but would love your input when you stay this month - please see me while you are with us!. Our shuttle will run one hour earlier this summer to hopefully this will extend your beach fun! Looking forward to your stay!
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We usually visit the FSK for a weekend in February for the kids to enjoy the indoor pool, but this time we took a spur of the moment weekend vacation with our kids and friends this past weekend at the FSK. As always, the front desk girls (and Ben) were very helpfull and pleasant. We were to stay in a cottage, and the first cottage had a non-working air conditioner, so we were moved to the next door one which was bigger. We had a few issues but the maintance men were very quick to respond and very quick to help. I havent had the pleasure of dealing with maintance men that were so quick before, so that was great. Over all, the weekend was great....nice place, great pool for the kids, the life guards were very quick to help when my daughter got a scrape, over all, great staff and great place.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Krislynell
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Francis Scott Key. We appreciate your comments about our staff and service. Though our goal is always to have everything perfect........it doesn't always turn out that way. We have a wonderful maintenance staff that has a main objective of quick results and positive customer service. They take pride in their job and I think it shows. We look forward to your next stay!

Baltimore
Reviewed 11 May 2009

I stayed here with my son this past weekend. I think the general idea of the hotel is nice, but there were some drawbacks for me.
I will say that my room was available to me earlier than the promised check in time. When I got to the hotel, everyone was very friendly, they offered a lot of information about their services and amenities and gave me a folder with general information. My problem is that I have to carry my son up 2 flights of steps, along with all of our stuff. No one offered any assistance for either the way up or down. After 2 trips on the way up, I finally had to ask someone for help because I had had too much. Another issue I had which was no fault of the hotel. I accidentally left my new shirt in the bathroom at the indoor pool. I guess about a 1/2 hour later I figured out that it was missing, and someone had stole it. The next day I went to the pool again, and there was a little confrontation between me and some rude guests that were staying there. The only other thing that I can think of is that the shuttle wasnt running as I had been told it would. I read some other reviews on here that said the water was strange. I didnt notice anything wrong with the water-seemed fine to me. I think the indoor pool is a very nice thing if you have kids. They all seem to be having a lot of fun! The location can be a bit of an annoyance but I know that in the summer it will be good to be somewhere that has a family quiet time policy.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank beach_fever_9
amdinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2009
Thank you for your comments. First off, let me apologize for you not getting the help you needed in getting your things to your room. We should be more aware of guests needs and I will bring this to the attention of our desk staff. I am so sorry that your shirt went missing. Did you check with anyone from our staff to see if it was placed in lost and found? I will check the log myself to see if anything was turned in from the Caribbean Key this past weekend. We ran our shuttle service as an amenity for Mothers Day weekend from 5-10pm on Friday 9am -10pm on Saturday and 9-1pm on Sunday. If their was a miscommunication about the hours I apologize. We will run our shuttle 9am-10pm daily beginning in the middle of June. Please contact me personally the next time you are visiting Ocean City and I will handle your reservations and make sure you are on the first floor!! Thanks for taking the time to write a review of the Francis Scott Key Family Resort!
Maryland
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We are always very pleased with our stay at the FSK. During the summer there are plenty of things to do for the kids (fishing, candy bingo, scavenger hunt, cardboard box races, etc. ALL FREE) Where else can you borrow a DVD or a game from the front desk on the honor system??? The staff is always very helpful and pleasant. We stay there during the 2 cars shows (May and October) and 7-10 days during the summer and sometimes take a couple long weekends at other times. We love the the FSK!!!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank pinkmom
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2009
Thank you for your kind comments. We are looking forward to a wonderful summer for 2009. We have extended our childrens program to seven days a week and our shuttle service will now run an hour earlier (9am to 10pm) to extend the beach and boardwalk fun. We look forward to seeing you and your family soon!

NY
Reviewed 1 May 2009

There is some serious room for improvement with the customer service folks handling the reservation line. I have never stayed here but I am trying to obtain information to book a first time visit this summer; yet, I am rushed off the phone every time I call (3 times, 3 different reps; there will not be a 4th) Given the economy, it is cruicial to provide exceptional customer service if you are to remain viable. I hung up wondering if there was some fine print that stated a "no more than 2 questions allowed per call" This stuff matters to people.

Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
amdinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 2 May 2009
I am very surprised and disappointed to read your review of trying to get a reservation with us. The phone lines can be extremely busy or slow with no reason. I am on the reservation lines daily and we do have sudden spurts of overwhelming calls but it seems that you have had this happen more times then is acceptable. If you call us for reservations (and I hope you do) please ask for me - Annemarie Dickerson - and I will handle your information personally. I am in Monday - Friday and most Saturdays till June. Please leave a message if I don't answer as I may be on the property but not at my phone. I will respond promptly. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. We are expanding our staff and training now for summer season so hopefully this will not happen again.

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I'll just get this out of the way right off the top: What is with the water in this place? All I could think of was Wesson cooking oil coming out of the showerhead. It actually made me slippery! It even made the tub slippery! I'm not crazy: My boyfriend said the same thing. And my aunt & uncle were staying in a room in another building and they said the same thing. (They've actually stayed at the FSK before and they said the water was also like that during their first stay.) It is very bizarre because you don't feel like you're getting clean. And it doesn't matter how long you stand under the water rubbing yourself: It doesn't ever get NOT slippery!

Also, I'm not sure who those guys were in the next room but there were a LOT of them. And they had a bunch of big trucks parked outside. They were up both mornings before the crack of dawn and were very, very noisy. Both mornings (we're talking, like 4:00 a.m.), they flung their front door open and a bunch of them kept coming outside, talking loudly and smoking right next to our door and window! The cigarette smoke was coming right into our room. And there was no getting back to sleep because they wouldn't shut up and they were banging around in the room. This isn't really a management problem except that maybe they could do a better job of not letting groups of 10 people sneak into one room. (How though?)

The room was dark and old-fashioned but had incredible amenities. The kitchen cabinets were fully stocked with everything you could need to prepare a meal and entertain right there in the room! The beds were apparently Tempur-Pedics and were amazingly comfortable.

The front desk people were super-nice and because we purchased a package, we got a beach bucket (& shovel) in which we found all kinds of great gift certificates for area shopping & dining. Very cool!

All in all, we had a bad experience but I can't really blame it on management. If we were in a different room (or if the guys next door were in a different room), I'd have been very pleased. I would stay again and I would recommend it to others--but I'd be sure to mention that cooking-oil-as-water situation. Otherwise, the place is actually pretty awesome.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikePhilly
amdinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2009
First off, thanks for your honest review. The issue with our water is that we have well water in West Ocean City. We have a commercial grade water conditioner for the entire property but it does have a different "feel" as you mentioned. The noise issue I believe is directly related to a group of rooms we had staying with us working on the Rt. 50 bridge. I am sorry that their early departure caused your group to be disturbed. We do try and address the smoking issue with charges to guests who smoke in their room and when we do property walks we ask our guests to smoke in the designated smoking areas located thoughout the property. Most guests follow our smoking policies but some just will not - will even pay the fee up front. This is a tough issue and we are working on positive solutions. We do have people who bring extra guests to the property to use our pool. This is why we are so strict with our arm band procedure as we want our paying guests to have access to our amenities. The guest rooms are now in the process of getting new energy efficient light bulbs. To date we have 172 completed with 50 left to be completed by May 1st. It makes a huge difference in the rooms and they use less energy - win - win. I am glad that your issues didn't overwhelm your overall experience with us. When returning please call and ask for me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation. Thanks again!