“If this place is in the Top 10, I'm afraid to see the bottom 10!”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #1 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
CT
“If this place is in the Top 10, I'm afraid to see the bottom 10!”
Reviewed 21 August 2009

I guided my decision to stay here based upon the feedback of trip advisor reviewers. Boy was that a big mistake. I did not expect a 5 star resort, but I also did not expect the toilet to smell like a men's urinal at Yankee Stadium. The cleaning staff (and I use that term loosely) should be replaced. As other reviewers have mentioned, all of the fixtures have rust and the room just felt dirty. On the first day, I pulled a tissue from the box and out came a fly. The wireless Internet is spotty at best- better off not even having it unless the desire is to frustrate your customers even more. We were so disgusted that we left Thursday night, deciding to spend the overnight hours in our car rather than another night in that seedy room. I am sure management will post that the rooms and the wireless will be upgraded next year, but that is no consolation to me this year. I spent a lot of money for a "resort" experience and left feeling that I would have been better off pitching a tent nearby in the woods. The only positives out of the whole experience were the indoor pool, pirate ship spray station, and shuttle bus. Although, the price may sound nice, you are best spending a few extra dollars for quality!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2009
Ouch! Obviously this guest was not happy with our property. I went through every guest that checked out on the last two Thursdays to try and research their issues but could not find anyone who checked out early. I also checked our guest log and did not see any issues related to an early checkout. I would like this poster to contact me as I would gladly listen to any concerns directly and certainly will give back any money for their stay. We strive to give our guests a good value and they deserve a clean, comfortable family atmosphere for the money they are paying. We are not perfect and your input steers us in the right direction.Our property is getting prepped for upgrades which will begin next week. We appreciate the feedback and would request the opportunity to discuss this directly.

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
NY
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We arrived and our kids (6 and 3) were very excited to stay here after driving in right past the pirate ship sprinkler they were going nuts. We checked in, the staff was very friendly but once we got ot our room things went downhill. It was dark, damp and smelled moldly. I took off my shoes off out of habit and the carpet was wet. There was a used towel hanging in the bathroom behind the door, I guess housekeeping missed that one and the sink was very slow to drain.

Without hesitation we knew we could not spend a whole week in there. It was like working as a camp counselor living in a wooden shack. We called the front desk and they told us that we could not get a refund. After asking to speak with a manager they relented and gave use back most of our money, but they insisted on keeping our deposit.. We took what we could get and will try to get back the rest through our CC company. We did not have a place to stay and it was 6 PM yet our room was bad enough that we drove off with 2 kids and no place to stay and scrammbled to find a more suitable room.

Maybe some of the rooms have been updated, ours certainly wasn't. We found a hotel room on the boardwalk for a bit more money and our kids never asked about or missed the kid pool and sprinklers.

1 Thank pfam
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 14 September 2009
Sorry for the late response as I thought I had addressed this post. We steam clean our carpets throughout the summer and at times we do not have enough time for them to properly dry. Rooms should never have a mold issue - no excuses. The rooms are dark and we are beginning the process to address that issue with our renovation this winter. 80 rooms are getting complete makeovers with the remainder getting new beach themed bedspread and art and window blinds. We do try and have many amenities that would relate to a campground and it is for those reasons that many of our guests love staying with us. I would ask this poster to contact me about their deposit that forfeited. I wish that we could have met this guests and their children's expectations. Thank you for taking the time to write and your comments are being listened to!
Wash DC
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I just returned from a 5 day stay at The Francis Scott Key Resort. And I must say my grandsons (3) and I had a wonderful time. All 3 entered in the golf tournament everyday. The 13 & 5 yr old won 1st and 3rd place.

The 5 yr old loved the pirate ship and normally he doesn't jump in with other kids, but the pirate ship brought him out of his shell. The indoor pool was the favorite of the other 2 boys.

We fished and played board games, watched movies. We all enjoyed ourselves, and my boys expressed returning to this resort.

In the pass we went south to the beach, but this year I wanted something closer to DC since I was the only adult. 2 1/2 hours from home, I loved it.

Thanks again, I met some really nice people as well. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

See you again in the furture.

1 Thank Flinana
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2009
Thank you for your lovely comments. We love that we hit a homerun with our target audience - the kids!! We have many new improvements to come this winter and we are always listening to our guest comments. We are looking forward to your next visit to wonderful Ocean City!

Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I travelled with my husband and two kids age 8 and 13.
PROS: the grounds are well maintained and there is a lot to do - putt putt golf, outdoor pool. pirate ship, basketball, picnic grounds and indoor pool. My 8 year old loved the putt putt golf and indoor pool. I went once to the outdoor pool - the water appeared clear and clean. I am very fussy about pools and cleanliness but I was quite pleased with the outdoor pool and the pirate ship. Our kitchen had a lot of utensils and I did not find the room dark as there were lots of lights, lamps etc. Maybe they made some changes. The kitchen had all the utensils one could possibly need. The cleaning staff were friendly, the front desk was so-so but maybe that was because they were busy when whe checked out. My 13 year old had to go get a spare key and he says they were really nice and helpful.
It's a nice family atmoshpere and quiet time is really quiet. At other hotels I have stayed at Ocean city and myrtle beach (supposedly very nice hotels), you have teenagers misbehaving etc. Here, the teenagers are well behaved and everyone is having nice, family friendly fun. There really is a lot to do. With a little bit more emphasis on housekeeping and cleaning of bathrooms etc. they could be a great hotel. Oh - and the lady who drives the shuttle is wonderful - told us all the best places to go etc. very helpful. Plus - no need to drive to the boardwalk - just take the shuttle, comfortable, airconditioned etc.

CONS: I was thorougly disgusted by the faucets in the sink, bathroom spigot, shower head and kitchen faucet - they were not cleaned and the kitchen and sink had a pile of mildew on the faucets. The bathroom shower head had rust - didn't matter how much it was wiped, if you ran a cloth over it, it came away with brown spots and you could see them. I called to complain about the bathroom sink as soon as I checked it and they said they would get to it the next day. Since I did not want my kids touching the faucet, I went to the food lion across from the property and got some chlorox wipes. That's when I found out that what I though was rust on the skin faucet was actually a mound of mildew. I was really disgusted. I called them aroun d11:30am (since no one came by in the morning). The lady was very helpful and sent someone over right away to clean the faucets. They did their best but the gunk and rust was still there - can't help it I guess. I cannot imagine why they have not changed these fixings - its a minor cosmetic repair that would make all the difference in the world in how people view the property. This left a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the trip. I kept checking the linens etc. and washing the utensils in very hot water etc. but everything else seemed nice. Again - they really should change the fixtures in the bathroom, drain, sink etc (just the faucets, drain, brass fixtures) and whoever does housekeeping in the New York building (don't know about the others), should check to make sure the faucet and fixtures are cleaned properly and there is no mildew. Rust is one thing, mildew is just gross and I do not expect that when I am paying over $180 per night. Even though they responded promptly the following day, I think they should have responded the same night (no one wants to touch faucets with large mounds of mildew underneath and in coners).
The indoor pool was nice - water seemed clean but really stifling. Based on what I have seen of most indoor pools elsewhere, I guess this is somewhat usual. I would suggest the reduce the clutter and "stuff" around the pool so the sitting area looks cleaner and less cluttered - there are lots of "stuff" in various corners. Might help to make the place airier. They have the doors open which helps. The carpet in the main lobby needs to be changed and the lobby had a distinctly musty smell - they might want to do something about that.

OVERALL: I did not find the rooms dingy as others have staeted and the wood pannelling was okay. Did I mention how nice the lady who drives the shutte was? But seriously - Do not underestimate how gross a mildew ridden faucet can be - I still say housekeeping should have noticed it during room checks before we checked in. They may not be able to do anything about the rust but the mildew was a lot - that had been there for months before. If this was a room that other guests had stayed in before - well I wonder if the other guests didn't care? would stay there again if I was assured of clean faucet, fixtures etc. The linens appeared clean but I wondered the whole time, if they could ignore the mildew, what else are they overlooking. The staff were very friendly and they have great amenities. Just be sure to make sure to ask for a room with clean fixtures and preferably rust-free if you check in over the internet (on the notes page). I also wondered if all the rooms were like that or if it was just our room since I haven't heard others complain about the faucets, shower head etc.

1 Thank makonkary
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2009
I would like to thank this poster for their honest review. No guest should have to feel that their room is not cleaned properly. The New York building (1700 building) and 3 other buildings are getting a re-do this winter including the replacement of bathroom fixtures, room furniture, carpet, kitchen cabinets. All guest rooms are getting new beachy bedding and window treatments to brighten the rooms. We also giving the Main Lodge a makover with new windows, siding, lobby, a 1950's diner which will open May 2010 and a family lounge. I would like to ask this poster to contact me personally. Though I am pleased many aspects of our property pleased them, all it takes it ones issue to ruin a persons feel for their overstall stay. For that, I apologize. We are committed to listening to our guests comments and making upgrades and changes accordingly.

PA
Reviewed 15 August 2009

We just returned from a 3 day stay with a 12 and 13 year old. We found it to be clean and the staff was friendly. The kids enjoyed the mini golf and volleyball at the indoor pool. The shuttle service was GREAT! We never waited longer than a couple of minutes and usually the bus was waiting for us. I would recommend anyone to try it.

1 Thank jm2009Pa
MD
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We love the amentities they offer, the indoor pool, outdoor pool, the activites are family friendly, the new splash park is great for kids. They have horseshoes/volleyball/basketball and a pool bar for the adults to enjoy. The rooms are comfortable, wish they would offer a queen size bed. We stayed in a cabin on 1 of our stays, very comfortable with a kitchen. The staff is always helpful and friendly. You really can't beat the price for all they that they offer. We keep coming back year after year.

1 Thank Cleggclan
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2009
I am excited to report to you that we are starting a guest loyalty program so staying over and over will have its benefits! We do try to make all of our guests feel as if this is their home away from home. We look forward to seeing your family on your next visit to Ocean City!

New Jersey
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I would like to thank everyone for their previous reviews as I relied heavily upon other reviews when making my decsion. I was also impressed that management addressed reviews that were less than positive which tells me they care and strive for improvement.

We just retuned from a 5 day stay August 2-8. We had a very positive experience and my young kids (ages 3 and 5) loved the Pirate Ship Splash area and indoor pool. We stayed in the New York building (full kitchen) and found the room to be clean and it met our needs. I do agree with some previous reviews that the rooms are very dark but I see that 92 rooms are slated for redecoration (new carpet and lighter color bedspreads) next year and I think that will be a huge plus.

While the exterior of some of the buildings are showing their age I found the grounds to be well maintained and everything seemed quite clean and tended to in regards to landscaping. The shuttle was a nice convenience. Only one night could I hear some loud guests returning to their room and I guess it is luck of the draw who your neighbors may be but I would not hold that against the hotel they do have a zero tolerence policy for noise after 11pm and each guest initials and acknowledges this policy upon check-in. Unfortunately there are just some inconsiderate people out there at times but that is the minority.

I also found the staff I encountered to be very pleasant and that includes the front desk, life guards, maid, and shuttle driver. I was sitting in the lobby using their free computer to research dinner options and the front desk was enthusiatic and pleasant to everyone checking in and checking out. I chatted with the front desk staff on dinner recommendations and borrowed games and moviews throughout my stay. I even overheard a phone conversation where someone had to postpone their trip due to surgery (not sure if that was really true or an excuse) but the front desk was quite gracious and offered a credit to stay at another time. I would defintely return with my family again and would encourage anyone who is looking for a good value and family friendly location to consider this hotel. If all the improvements mentioned by management come to fruition I think people will find it difficult to find any fault.

I do have two very minor recommendations for improvement but are not in anyway a detraction from the hotel. 1)wi-fi needs to be improved as I could not access from my room and had to go to the main lodge and even then service was slow. 2) Please consider offering towels at the outdoor pool and Pirate Splash Park not just the indoor pool.

If you are thinking about staying at this hotel I would go for it and give it a try. By reading all the reviews I think my expectations were reasonable and I was not at all disappointed or surprised in any way. My kids LOVED it and cried when it was time to leave and we had a clean room. It was a successful trip in my eyes and a great value!

2 Thank spinchickNJ
Thank you for your wonderful comments and the constructive ones as well. We are working now on the WIFI issue...it is a problem and we will have the right solution for 2010. We are also beginning the "makeover" of the Main Lodge and 92 guest rooms. We will be adding a 1950's diner as well as a family lounge and a new concession at the indoor pool. We have selected a colorful beach bedspread for the guest rooms and a lighter stained wood to brighten the rooms. We are really looking forward to next year to see the improvements come to life.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.