“Francis Scott Key--We will be back”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #1 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
new york
“Francis Scott Key--We will be back”
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We met up with my sister and her son in Early August 2009. We had kids ages 15, 3, & 8. I absolutely loved the place. As stated in many reviews, the one problem I find with the rooms is the rust and old, yuck feel of the bathrooms, other than that it was great. I brought things with me like a can opener, a pitcher for iced tea ect, to find they had though of everything. We loved the splash area most I think, and the out door pool. Nobody really cared to go to the beach. The breakfast left much to be desired, and I am sooo glad to hear they are opening a new restaurant. It will do very well I predict, especially if they are planning to serve breakfast all day.

Another comment I would like to make is that my husband became very sick on his stay and spend a lot of the time in bed. He was feeling better our last night, and I asked for extended check out and explained the reason. We had two rooms, and my sister called the next morning and they allowed us an extra hour, which was wonderful. We were able to play in the morning and still have a room to go back to change in comfortably before our 6 hr drive home. Thank You..

The only recommendation I have for families with teenagers (and only one of them--) Let them bring a friend. Because things close up by 9 or 10, and we had a little one also that would be totally exhausted and ready for bed, it was difficult for her to stay occupied (though the game rentals from up front are wonderful perk by the way) It seems the teenagers kind of hang on the playground at night and that is nice also. A safe place for them to be.

1 Thank mulfNewYork
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 5 October 2009
We have listened and yes our new DIner will serve breakfast all day....how about breakfast for dinner? We are beginning the remodeling process as I write this response! It is going to be a very busy winter here at the FSK. We wil be replacing the fixtures in the bathrooms as we have well water here and our chemicals have a reaction causing them to change colors. We have many things happening very quickly. Thank you very much for your comments...we know you have choices to stay while on vacation and we are blessed that you have chosen us!

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 9 September 2009

We had a very good overall experience at the FSK motel...The pools were definitly a highlight, our children loved the pools. They did not even want to leave to go to the beach. The grounds were clean and well kept. The restaurant was very good although were glad to here that they will be putting a more family style restaurant. The staff was very friendly and helpful especially Louise, who was wonderful to us when we were booking!! The only minor complanit would be the rooms. Although they were clean, they are in need of a update. I read below that the rooms are set to be remodeled. Once this happens this motel be hard to top in ocean city,md. Let's put it this way ...we got back yesterday and my daughter already can't wait to come back next year.....

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Gelwicks76
We have begun the remodeling process and the new Rt. 50 Diner will open im May 2010! The new roof is in the process of being replaced as well as the windows. The room updates will begin January 1st for 80 guest rooms. We are very excited about the changes. We are also in the process of putting 32 inch flat screens with DVD players in all efficiency guest rooms. We hope to see you soon!

Maryland
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We all had a great time. This place is like staying with family, except without all the confusion.My 12 year old daughter and her friend just love it here. We are even thinking about coming back and having her 13th birthday party here. This is a very family oriented place. We just love staying here. This is always our all time favorite. It is definetly, without a doubt, a five star vacation!!!!
Julie Demski

1 Thank MernicMaryland
We are looking forward to seeing your family during your next holiday!! We re-opened the indoor pool with adjustments made, decks and pool painted and it looks fantastic. The new palms lights will be here soon! Construction has started here so if you visit us during the off season you will need to pardon our dust! It is beacuse of families like yours that we have been able to continue making upgrades. Thank You!

Union, N.J.
Reviewed 8 September 2009

I can tell you about the no great complimentary breakfast (did not come here for breakfast), I can tell you about the carpets (room 403), the noise of some young men on 9/4 labor day weekend in room 401...but all in all it was bearable, and it could happen in any other hotel, the showers a lil old, room a lil too old, but in all honesty were truly, sincerely and humbly satisfied with the courtesy service provided by the staff.

The pools, the Pirate ship, the shuttle, the entire amenities are great! I am sure Mrs. Annemarie Dickerson is already aware of the problems, suggestions, but little by little you have a gem of an establishment that made my son cry because we where going home! my 4 yr old son did not wanted to leave!

the service, the speed check-in process, the courtesy of using the facilities until 6pm the day of check-out...its commendable and it makes me want go back again and again!

The shuttle driver was courteous (9/3 & 9/4 nite shift), the stop/pick up is at somerset st (1 block from boardwalk), the water facilties are great...parents please dont let the kids dive/slide head/arms first...there is an accident waiting to happen (one kid hit her chest against the wall of the slide at the pirate ship had problems breathing - parent never knew it happened!) but I honestly leave the main responsibility on the parents/guardians and not the lifeguards first.

the temperpedic mattres is better than my expensive mattress at home!!! i miss the bed! the lil animal towels where something unexpected and really nice for my lil 4-yr old..you can have a "how to do it" workshop to highlight your staff's expertise.

overall it was a great experience, close to the oc outlets, mall, boardwalk, food lion supermarket, CVS, dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, gas station, applebees-food, the assategui island, the best crab cake in town...the captain gavel, crab alley/house, race track for kids, liquor store, etc! (Phillips Seafood buffet its great, the doughboy roller pizza was the worst pizza ever! if you're from NY/NJ you know what i mean)

We loved the OC experience, much in part because we stayed at the FSK Family Motel!

Julian Buitrago
Union, N.J.
RM 403

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jbaboo
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 9 September 2009
I am so pleased that your overall perception was great! We have spent the last 5 years working on our outdoor guest amenities as we have tried to make an affordable family atmosphere with many things that are free for our guests. We have just begin a very large renovation process to bring up a level the issues you mentioned. The Main Lodge is getting completely overhauled and will have a new 1950's Diner and family lounge opening May 2010 (the wonderful Marlin Moon will be changing locations in October). We are also adding a new concession at the indoor pool, new pool deck at the indoor pool, a new guest laundry / vending area in the quad area with microwaves for guest use. We are also re-doing 80 guest rooms with new furniture, painted, carpet, fixtures, cabinets and TV's. ALL 232 guest room will receive new beach themed bedspreads and artwork. We are also preparing for a new WIFI system to be installed as we realize our current one is poor at best. We are also keeping our rates the same for 2010! Myself and my co-workers read every comment card and posted statement ant we try to make our decisions on what our guests are saying. We realize you have many choices when traveling and we are so pleased that you thought of us!
Old Bridge, NJ
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We absolutely love it here... we just got back from a 4 night stay, we had the best time! We love all the amenities this hotel has to offer. My only complaint would be what most people complain about and that is the room definetly needs updating. From what I hear the owner plans on upgrading most of the rooms over the winter. We will back next year and I hope we get one of the new rooms!

My other complaint would be about the Marlin Moon Restaurant - what a terrible location for this restaurant - the food is good but man alive, you can not walk in there with child! you would think because of their location they would be much more family friendly.

Otherwise, we love it! The pool amenities are fantastic - my son ( 4 years old) played on the pirate ship one day for 3-4 hours without stopping... he absolutely loves it!!!

The indoor pool is fantastic - the movie time at night is a great time to swim... the staff were very friendly... and we even borrowed a movie to watch. We plan on spending at least one weekend every summer here!

1 Thank lwirth76
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 1 September 2009
We are pleased that your family enjoyed the Francis Scott Key! We are updating our rooms for 2010 as well as adding a concession at the indoor pool. new guest laundry facilty. The wonderful Marlin Moon will be changing locations in October of this year and we will be opening a 1950's diner to cater to families with breakfast all day!. We will also be adding a family lounge / conference area and new lobby. We are excited about the upgrades and look forward to your next weekend stay with us!

Boonton, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 August 2009

We stayed at the resort 8/23-28 looking for an affordable family vacation.

Room
We had an end unit room in the Ohio building with a fully stocked kitchen. This allowed us to eat some meals in the room rather than in town or on the (overpriced) boardwalk. The room, although it was showing its age (beat up furniture, rusty shower head) was comfortable and clean. The cleaning woman, Anastasia, did a great job each day and my daughter was delighted with the towel animals. The Temperpedic Beds were amazing. Truly a luxury when staying in a motel. They even provided a pillow topper for the pull out sofa that my daughter used. I did have a complaint about the handle control on the shower. It was literally full of black mildew. Maintenance was to our room within a 1/2 an hour and replaced it with a new one right away. We also had a issue with the burners on the stove not working but this was also fixed for us.

Pools
The Pirate Spray Ground was adorable and a delight for the family. My daughter really loved seeing buckets of water getting dumped on our heads. The outdoor pool was basic. Plenty of seats, but there was some sand in the pool. I guess people didn't use the shower to rinse off before entering. There was a cash only bar owned by the restaurant. The indoor pool was great. It was one of the main reasons we chose this motel. We wanted to have a place to swim in case of bad weather. Unfortunately, our daughter was injured when a much older child playing volleyball next to the waterslide dove in front of the slide to get a ball. There was no rope or divider to keep the area clear at the bottom of the slide. We reported the incident and management seemed genuinely considered. I asked why there weren't rules posted by the slide and was told there's normally a lifeguard right at the bottom of the slide. (Apparently they were short staffed). We didn't go back to the indoor pool until the last day. There were two lifeguards but the chidlren were going down the slide in any position - headfirst, upside down etc. I asked the one lifeguard if the children should go head first or feet first and was" told they could go however they wanted as long as it wasn't on their knees." I told my daughter only to go feet first but noticed the lifeguard still wasn't really controlling the children on the slide. It made me nervous and I had my daughter move to the other end of the pool. It really is a great area - very cute, but after one accident - I didn't want to take any chances. Management told me they were going to close the pool for maintenence in a couple of weeks. I hope they take a few steps to make the area safer - post rules, tell the lifeguards to be more attentive because the indoor pool really is one of the best features of the hotel.

Shuttle
One van was broken during our stay so we didn't use the shuttle. Driving to and from the beach was no problem since there's plenty of free parking. If you go farther north the beach is narrower (better when trying to get to the water with a young child) and less crowded. The rip tides were rough, due to the hurricane out at sea, but thankfully there are plenty of lifeguards.

Daily Activities
There was supposed to be bead making, games, fishing, bingo and karaoke in the BBQ pavillion. When we got there we were the only family there. The girl running it said no one did karaoke but we could color or fish. The coloring books were all used up. She said she couldn't buy any more because there were a few pages still blank. My daughter did enjoy feeding the fish and the snapping turtle. We also went back the last day to play bingo. The girl running it even allowed my daughter to call the numbers since we were the only ones there. She was a nice, friendly employee. (Sorry, I don't remember her name.) The mini golf is also available as a small diversion. Nothing fancy, but convenient. Bascially, if you are at the resort and want entertainment, the pools or splashground is the place to be.

One of the reasons we chose this resort was because managment read the reviews and commented on any negative posts. I was pleased with the managers who followed up with us to make sure our daughter was OK and that we didn't have any other problems with our room. This kind of customer service shows they really care about their guests. I undersand why the resort has families that return year after year.

1 Thank kveliky
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 31 August 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am glad that you had an overall good experience. We did have one of our two shuttle buses break down and we were running longer times because of it. Sorry that you didn't get to take advantage of the shuttle service as it is very convenient. I was aware of the injury at the indoor pool as my co-worker informed and I was pleased at the follow up. We are going over some changes at the indoor pool and your comments are noted. We are at the beginning process of our renovations and we are have used comments such as yours to determine every aspect of our improvements. Thank you again for your comments.

Texas
Reviewed 28 August 2009

I would definitely reccomend FSK to everyone.It is a family resort that has daily activities for families to participate it.My family and I have been guest at the hotel for the past 5 years and will continue to stay.

1 Thank Texaslady178
We are so blessed to have many families that stay with us year after year. That is the best compliment we can receive as we know you have many vacation choices! We look forward to seeing you next year and I can 't wait until you see all the new additions!