“Close to the beach, but not a good value”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #1 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Greenwood, Indiana
“Close to the beach, but not a good value”
Reviewed 14 July 2010

We stayed at FSK for 3 days and 4 nights with our 2 kids ages 9 and 5. We stayed in a room that was supposed to be remodeled for the 2010 season and had a fridge. It appeared the carpet and furniture may have been new, but nothing else in the room appeared to be remodeled. Our shower had very poor water pressure no matter the time of day and did not even have a curved curtain rod. Our first full day was July 4th and traffic on US 50 in front of the hotel was bumber to bumper all day, so we stayed at the hotel most of the day. The indoor water park was ok. It has one small slides, a baby area and a permanent volleyball net. There are varying degrees of deepness and FSK provides life guards and life preservers. It was nice to be indoors, but the pool was far from a 'water park'. My kids really enjoyed the sprayground with the pirate ship. I don't think the price was a value for the type of room we were booked into or the amenities. The Route 50 diner was nice to go to one time, as the prices were no better than going to somewhere off property. There is a Starbucks, Carabbas and two small diners within walking distance. I would not reccomend the diner directly next door. All in all i would not book in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2010
The most important goal we strive to achieve is value. We are disappointed that this guest did not feel as though we accomplished that goal. I am glad that the children enjoyed the indoor theme pool and splash ground. We knew the holiday weekend would be congested and we had our free childrens programs running daily. Our re-modeled rooms do have new carpet, furniture, light fixtures, window blinds, bed spreads, artwork and in the rooms with kitchens new cabinets and sinks, ovens and refrigerators. I am glad that you enjoyed our new Diner. The holiday weekend is our highest price point of the season and may or may not have weighed your perception of value at the FSK. We offer many fantastic deals at incredible rates...the Rodney Rate saves 15% when staying 3 weekdays, the Budget Special gives you a free 5th night when checking in on a Sunday and all weekly stays enjoy a free night! We hope you will consider staying with us again....You can call me directly if and I will handle everything from start to finish and ensure that you get the best possible rate!

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Bradley Beach, NJ
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I've stayed at the FSK 6 times but there wont be a 7th. The Marlin Moon Grille, price and location are what usually brought me back. Unfortunately the cleanliness of our room (my AC unit had bird feces , rust, and mold inside of it) ended the streak. If there were rooms available at the Hilton or Courtyard we would have moved, instead we lefdt a day early.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
I was disappointed when reading this posters review. We enjoy a large return family of guests and it is unsettling when they have an off visit. When researching the issue I found that the guest did have a valid complaint about the air conditoner and we replaced it with a brand new one. I spoke with our management staff and we did not have any other issues reported from the guest as we would have certainly tried to make their stay as perfect as possible. It wasn't until we read the post that we new that they had checked out early as many of our guests just leave their keys in their room when leaving. The Marlin Moon is now residing at Mickey Finns just about 1/10th of a mile from us. As far as choosing the Hilton or Marriott I concede we are not of that caliber property . We are just a family oriented property that tries to keep affordable prices and lots of free amenitites for our guests to enjoy. One thing that should never suffer though is cleanliness and if we were not on target here then I apologize. I would ask the poster to contact me reagarding the early checkout to get a first hand account of any other issues they may occured causing them to leave.

Glen Cove, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We just got back from the FSK resort and all I can say is that our trip was wonderful! We went with three other families and all the kids really enjoyed all the pools. The outdoor pool was great, the spray park was fantastic, and the indoor pool in the high heat was a a real hit! The only thing I could pick on was that one of the two busses was broken, but the hotel operators rented a van to replace the broken bus. Other hotel owners wouldn't do this. The driver of the bus sang the praises of the pawners. If your employees say you are great, it must be true! The new restaurant in the lobby was good, and we had breakfast there every day. The rooms were just re-done and the beds were great!

Again, thanks for a wonderful vacation!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank JamboBread
Thanks for thaking the time to write. We hope to see you family again soon!

nyc
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I spent the first 2 nights chasing the fast moving flies and gave up eventually. My guess is they came in while the room was serviced. There is a small gap around the door and the frame so may be they came in that way too. They landed on my daughter's face couple of times while she was sleeping and she woke up screaming. The room smell funky when we first checked in - I could not figure out what it was until much later. There were ants everywhere - the bathroom, the vanity, and in beds - the only place I did not "see" them are on the carpet, which is in some very dark color. That was so gross to find ants in our beds and when my older one saw them, it took some effort to calm her. When I complained to the front desk, they sent an exterminator over in the middle of the afternoon when our two young daughters are napping. I had to sent them away. I am not sure if there is a safer way to address this before their guests are checked out. When we got home, we found ants in our lugguage! We paid a bit more for a 2010 renovated room - I could not figure out where the renovation was - everything looks rather old, e,g, the bathroom door does not close. The food quality from their Signature restaurant is quite poor so avoid it if you can. Having said all that, I must say that the indoor pool and the sprayground are definite fun place to be and the staff are friendly. My husband and I could not agree to whether this resort is worth coming back to.

1 Thank smc02
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 6 July 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write. We are always striving to make our guests experience a pleasant one and we are sorry that we didn't hit a home run with your family. We did re-do 90 of our rooms with new carpet, furntiure, light fixtures, bedspreads, painting, artwork and in the rooms with kitchens new flat screen TV's and kitchen cabinets and appliances. Flys are an issue as we have guests that enjoy leaving the door open while sitting on the deck and we require for safety the door to be ajar while the room is serviced. I am pleased that we were able to try and solve the problem with ants straight away but understand the timing issue. As we are near sold out daily timing is always an issue. Our new Diner is a new adventure for us and though we have are pleased with our efforts so far we are committed to make the DIner a fun and tasty place for all our familes. I do hope that you will return to the FSK. I would invite you to call me directly and I will personally oversee every step of your stay!

Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 July 2010

WE recently returned from a short 2 night stay at this resort. It was perfectly located 1 mile away from the Ocean City Boardwalk. It has a campground kind of feel to it. We stayed in the main building on the 3rd floor. The rooms are a little bit older but very clean and very spacious. If you like sleeping on the temperpedic matresses, you will enjoy this resort. The only downfall about this resort was there was not an elevator or someone to help us with our bags. We were put on the 3rd floor with two babies, so lugging everything up and down was a bit of a pain. The only thing I would really change about this resort is the stroller capabilities. The outdoor pool is raised up a bit and there is no handicap ramp or stroller ramp to access it. Other than that, this was a great resort with plenty for the children to do. I would love to go back again! Simply adorabel!

2 Thank dsilva51
Thanks for the lovely review. When doing renovations this winter we did look at the possibilty of adding an elevator but due to the addition of the fire sprinkling to the building we could locate an adequate location. We should have offered to help with you bags and I apologize for that!. We look forward to your next stay....

Vauxhall, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 July 2010

If you have a family with young children, this is the place to be! Our children are 4 and 7 and loved every moment of everyday that we spend! All of the water recreation was great! Especially the indoor pool, so much for the children to explore. The staff was friendly and ok, a lot of foreign employees. Some of them spoke little or broken english, which made it somewhat difficult to get answers when asked questions. The room that we had was very good. We stayed in the New York section which was remodeled. It has a full stove/range, fridge and they supply all the utensils, right down to the pots and pans! Just purchase food at one of the two markets near the resort to save lots of money, instead of going out to eat everyday - it becomes costly. Loved the shuttle bus to the boardwalk/beach, but FSK should supply additional buses to shorten the wait time, plus beachgoers have equipment which takes up space in the mini bus. The fitness center needs to be upgraded tremendously. Some of the equipment is rusty and some parts are broken. FSK only have one computer for the resort - should have at least 3 more. Overall, we love the resort and would diffinately recommend FSK to a friend. We will be back next year!

2 Thank mrsqueen914
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, 4 July 2010
Thanks for your wonderful words! We do have two shuttle buses but one has been in the shop due to faulty AC and we have rented a 15 passenger van. It is not the same as it does not have the room for the beach stuff required for a fun day at the beach. We will have both shuttles running again on Monday the 5th! We have two additional computers that will be networked in the sun porch by the end of this week giving us three total. You may have noticed we ha the three desks already there and we have been waiting to get those last two computers installed! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you soon!

Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 July 2010

they staff was great, room was perfect and there was somemuch to do there it is perfect for every one

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank berdine14
Thanks for your wonderful comments...we hope to see you all again soon!