“You get what you pay for...”
Review of Ocean Manor Hotel

Ocean Manor Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Ocean Manor Hotel
Ranked #92 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Fairmont, West Virginia
“You get what you pay for...”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We booked a quick trip to OC, Maryland for Labor Day weekend on a spur of the moment. We visted OC in July on a family vacation, and we stayed up on 121st St, which was perfect for "family" outings. However, this trip was adults only, and we wanted to be very close to the boardwalk, so after a quick search, we found Ocean Manor.
Let's start with the GOOD
1. Let me say, the gentleman who runs Ocean Manor is beyond polite. He was kind and accomodating.
2. The hotel is extremely close to the boardwalk and the beach. It is literally a stone's throw from Ripley's on the boardwalk, and a quick walk to the beach. Excellent location. Everything we needed and wanted was within arms reach. I couldn't have been happier with the loction.
3. Cheap. We rented this room on Labor Day weekend for $90 a night.
4. Clean. While the hotel is very, very outdated, it was very clean.

Now the BAD
1. Small...small...small. Literally, I could stretch my arms out and touch both walls. Essentially, this place reminded me of a boarding house with small bedrooms. The room included a full bed, a dresser, small nightstand, tiny closet, a mini fridge, and the tiniest TV I have ever seen. It also had a very small bathroom.
2. Speaking of the bathroom, it was bad. Again, it was clean...but bad. Absolutely no storage space for anything. So, if you are lady who has any products you would like to store- forget it. The shower was too small to even turn around in. I am a small woman, and I could hardly get my arms up to wash my hair, let alone shave any part of my body. The bathroom literally almost made me cry. The shower appears to have been painted or sealed with the stuff they use to paint older, concrete swimming pools. This skeeved me out a bit, but upon inspection, it was clean. But still...so uncomfortable.
3. The bed was AWFUL. First off, a full bed is a difficult switch when you are used to a queen size, but we figured we could manage. The size was the least of our worries. OMG, this thing was like sleeping on a bag of rocks. It also was the loudest, squeakiest thing I have ever heard. I always thought I could sleep through a tornado, but I was wrong. Every single time my boyfriend turned or moved an inch it woke me up. One because it him moving one inch caused me to move 3 inches and two because it sounded like an unoiled trampoline. In the 72 hours we spent in OC, I can say I honestly got about 6 actual hours of sleep.
4. Paper thin walls. You can hear everything. I mean everything.
5. Not exactly the best windows either. Remember, location is everything. The boardwalk has a TON going on, wee into the night, and you can hear it right through the windows and the thin walls. Don't expect to sleep in either, OC does a great job keeping their city clean, and they do it at about 6am. You can hear everything from the street sweeper to the garbage man. They run about 30 minutes apart.

All in all, I am so glad we went to OC, but I can honestly say that I would sleep in my SUV before I would sleep at this hotel again. But, like I said, you get what you pay for. We paid for $90 a night and got it, but I fear after that awful bed, I will be paying for a chiropracter for us both to work these kinks out. Do yourself a favor, if you need a good nights sleep and a decent shower, spend a little more and get a nicer place. If these things mean nothing to you, Ocean Manor isn't a bad deal.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank AMerrifield

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Washington, DC
Reviewed 28 April 2011

...then this is a great hotel. Hard to find a room for under $90 in OC and this is the ticket. Old, old hotel. Exterior siding looks like it's made of those old asbestos fiber shingles. Stairs are creaky. Rooms are small. Shower is painted with swimming pool paint (hey, it's a good sealant, right?)... yet we stayed at Ocean Manor three times in 2010 because it was just clean enough and the hotel manager was a genuinely nice person to talk to. No pool, but you're one block from the widest part of the OC beach. Two blocks to games and rides. At night you can hear the screams from the roller-coaster in the distance, but not so bad it keeps you awake. Others posts complained about the sound of harleys and I did see a harley crowd and bikes parked out front - but never any excessive noise. If we had stayed anywhere else, we would only have been able to afford to go to OC twice last summer - Ocean Manor let us have three beach trips! :-) We'll probably stay there again this year if the rates haven't changed.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank IntrepidFromDC
Houston tx
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Kinda small place With the ghost of my grand parents still going LOL but we had lots of fun and looking forward to another trip to OC and no thats not orange county LOL

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank danfan7
PA
Reviewed 16 November 2009

We stayed in a 2 bedroom cottage with 2 toddlers and 3 adults. The cottage was close quarters but enough room. It definitely was outdated in appearance and features, but was clean and had everything we needed. The only thing we found was that it was a stall shower only, had to bath the kids in the kitchen sink. The staff could not have been friendlier and the location was fantastic! We had a nice picket-fenced yeard with a grill and clothesline. We walked 1 block to the boardwalk and beach. We didn't drive our car at all except one grocery trip. If you are looking for an affordable basic room and great management, look here!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank pagirl30
Greencastle
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Though we were not overly impressed by the sight of this older hotel, we did however enjoy every minute of our stay. The facility as a whole could use some very much needed TLC, but the operator (Brian) could not have been a nicer guy. The best part of our stay is the home type atmosphere, but steps away from the boardwalk in Ocean City. There were 17 of us total in our family to stay , which made this one of the most memorable vacations I have personally had in many years. The apartments are clean, inexpensive, and quaint. Every guest we met were really down to earth people that have stayed here for vacation for many years. Excellent for young or old folks that enjoy the beach.

• Liked — Clean and close to the Boardwalk
  • Disliked — Needs some TLC
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank RHurd
Dover, VT
Reviewed 14 August 2008

While the location was good for its proximity to the boardwalk and beach, the very worn and uncomfortable beds, intermittently functioning air conditioning, plumbing leaks and roar of Harleys 8 feet from our heads at 2 in the morning made it a bit difficult to sleep.

The outdated furnishings (remodeled in 1999? with what, garage sale items from 1982?)and spotty cleaning job on our arrival were enough to look past despite the hefty price tag.

Unfortunately about 2 weeks after we came home we received our security deposit less $50 for extra cleaning. This came as a great surprise since we had vacuumed and swept all the floors, washed and put away all the dishes, removed all garbage and very much left the house much as we had found it. We even went to the office to ask them specifically what they expected and made sure it was done. When we contacted management and ownership they first pretended they knew nothing about it and would look into it. 2 weeks after our contact with ownership they got back to us with the only answer being that they are standing behind their original assessment. No documentation no detail at all just "it was dirty".

If you happen to stay here anyways, make sure you take pictures before you leave. Better yet try to get them to take your security via a credit card, at least then you will have some recourse if they charge you anything extra.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank TJ S

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed 20 June 2006

As a resident of Ocean City, I recommend many hotels to friends that are coming to the beach.
Some of our friends want the 'high-end' - others are just looking for a nice, clean room.
If you are looking for an inexpensive room; a downtown location; a well-managed and controlled hotel, then Ocean Manor will fill the bill.
It's one of the older hotels in the "Old Town" section of OC, so the rooms and bathrooms are very small.
Again: If you're looking pretty much for a place to just drop your luggage, take a shower, walk the Boardwalk, and get a good night's sleep, it'll work for you.
A bonus: The absolute best three redneck bars in town are right up the street (The Clam, Snapper's, and the Cork Bar).
They also have the cheapest and coldest beer in town, and just might be the friendliest bars in town, too.
Enjoy OC!