“Favorable”
Review of Plim Plaza Hotel

Plim Plaza Hotel
Ranked #62 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 29 August 2014

After searching long and hard online for hotel accommodations, we decided to just drive to Ocean City, MD and try our luck. We rode, as well as walked, around for about an hour or two trying to check in to no avail. We were finally directed to the Plim Plaza by another hotel. They called and we were told the Plim Plaza and available rooms. The location of this hotel is great! We even enjoyed the amenities. My granddaughter really enjoyed herself in the pool and hot tubs. My husband and I really enjoyed sitting on the porch and watching the sun rise. Although on the flip side of the coin however, the rooms were quite small and I did miss not having an iron and ironing board and a microwave would have been nice. Other than those few things, which by the way won't make or break your vacation, we had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We selected this hotel for a short weekend stay because of its location. We were very disappointed with the room which had an overwhelming musty smell. The room was also quite small and the towels were like sandpaper. However, despite that room, the location is excellent if you want to be on the boardwalk, with a front porch area that is great for people watching. It has a very nice pool and pool bar area and the staff was very friendly. We had to use the overflow lot which is about a block and a half away but it was just a short walk. Unless they have other rooms that are not so musty, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: If possible check your room first.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We arrived @ 0130 am, our FIRST room smelled "musty" but we thought we could open a window or turn the AC on it would get better.... well it only got worse. My bf started sneezing & coughing. I woke up with a terrible headache. Looked out our window and the AC was a few inches above stagnant water full of bugs! This was rm 251. we called front desk and said they would move us after 11 am. the shower was sooo small i could hardly turn around in it and the mirror was def not for short people. Our feet were dirty on the bottom just from walking on the floor. Thank God for flip flops. After telling the staff about the water, smell, dirtiness, etc of rm, they moved us to another room down the hall which was fabulous. The porch was nice and the location is great. Staff was exceptionally friendly, but they have a very loud bird in the lobby...I checked out some of the other rooms when i was there. Some are just very old, but some just need to be closed FOREVER!

Room Tip: Take an extension cord, the are not many outlets in these rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jeanette H
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Went to Plim for a couples get away. Let's just say as soon as we saw the rooms and the green pool we were extremely disappointed. Our room smelt like someone's old gym socks. And the walls were paper thin we could hear the noises coming from next door (that were not pleasant) we left and went elsewhere after about 2 hours. Demanded a refund, cancelled the charge from the credit card company. Never again

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I read the reviews before booking. Very mixed. I was not expecting luxury but the rooms were not clean. The whole hotel had an overwhelming smell of Pine Sol which I would not have minded except it was obviously trying to cover up the smell of sceptic/mold in room 406. I was grossed out. The comforters on the bed were not clean. Parts of the walls were boarded up with plywood... Carpet was old and smelly. I am not picky... This room was gross by any standard. Pool bar was cute. Location great... But go somewhere else. Sorry. I wanted to give this a good review ... I can not in good conscience. The thought of returning to this room after a great day of fun in OC was depressing.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Lovingjesster
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Try making an effort to research the hotel you are booking BEFORE booking it to find the best fit for your needs.....

If you are looking for a family hotel that does not have a bar on property then perhaps don't book a hotel that says it has a bar on property. If a balcony is not listed as an room feature or amenity, then don't complain when your room does not have one. Its very simple. In this day and age we have TONS of resources to look into from hotel websites, trip advisor reviews and forums, pamphlets and brochures. If you are particular about your preferences then a little effort in research can go a long way and save you much headache.

Plim Plaza is a typical Ocean City Hotel. Its nothing fancy, trendy or upscale. Its casual and laid back. The reason we keep going back is we feel its priced appropriately for its location, quality, & awesome amenities such as the large pool, hot tubs & pool bar. We will continue to return in the future.

My girlfriends and I just returned from another great stay at this hotel. Check-in was a breeze. Our room was actually ready 2 hours ahead of check-in. We were able to check in right away and get a parking pass. Yes some of the parking is 2 blocks away. Its REALLY not that far or that hard to walk. In fact I feel MUCH better parking my car in that parking lot because I barely see anyone else coming in or out of it. The main parking lot at the hotel has CONSTANT vehicle activity coming in and out. I would worry about someone accidentally damaging my car because of how tight and cramped it is. So if parking my car in a low risk area means a few extra minutes of exorcize, then its certainly worth it to me.

The room was clean. We checked the bathroom, sheets and under the beds. Everything looked great and nothing smelled like smoke. The rooms are not huge but I think if 4 women who all over-packed can manage to get ready at the same time then so can anyone else. Our bed had an uncomfortable dip in it, they changed the mattress right away upon notifying them. Service continued to be friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Enjoyed the afternoon on the pool deck. The waitress checked on us often. There is live bands in the evenings which is a nice touch if you don't feel like going out anywhere and just want to hang out there on the deck. Hot tubs were great as usual.

Check-out was super fast and easy and they let us keep the parking pass so we could enjoy our vacation for a few more hours without having to pay to park somewhere. Since the hotel is located on second street, we were in a great spot for walking the boardwalk and shopping a little before getting ready to head home.

Overall we have stayed at this hotel 4 times now and we have never run into any issues. At least not any issues worth writing a poor review or not returning again. But then we are easy going and just look for a clean room to rest our heads in. Our main reason for going to Ocean City is to be out, enjoying it. For guests who prefer upscale hotels or plan to spend more time in the room, this is not the place for you. We would recommend this hotel and we will return again for another great stay.

Room Tip: You can always request a renovated room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rachael713
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was my first time visiting Ocean City MD and judging by the other reviews I was expecting a less than stellar experience at Plim Plaza offset by the convenience of being so close to the boardwalk.

In short, the hotel is at least 15 years past due on a renovation. The owners should be ashamed of themselves for charging people $200+ per night for a filthy, smelly, horrible, and dissapointing experience. Its a very old hotel so I didn't have high expectations but even still our double room (ROOM 412) was extremely small to the point that the four of us could barely move around in it. When we arrive the carpet reeked of Pine Sol which made me wonder what they were covering up. The wallpaper was falling off the walls, there were holes in the walls, and only a few electrical outlets worked which was annoying for a family with lots of electronic devices that needed charging. While packing our bags a cock roach ran across the wall which made us all freak out!

They have parrots on the property which is cool aside from the fact that they are able to move around and defocate on the floor which is disgusting and people walk all over it since no one on staff was in a hurry to clean it up.

To top off the whole experience when I told the front desk upon check-out that we spotted a cock roach in the room they seem totally unsurprised and didn't even offer me a discount, refund, or even a token apology. Instead she just picked up the phone while I stood there waiting to leave, called the exterminator and yelled at him as if that was suppose to make me feel better!?

When we looked around we saw that there are plenty of nice hotels in Ocean City and it's such a narrow island that no matter where you stay you're always a block or two from the boardwalk at most. Don't make the same mistake I did and stay at this hotel. We couldn't wait to leave this cock roach infested dump.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family