“great location, average hotel”
Review of Plim Plaza Hotel

Plim Plaza Hotel
Ranked #62 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 12 June 2009

For the price and location, this hotel is definitely worth it. Yeah the rooms were small, but we spent all our time at the beach or poolside. The hotel pool and 3 hot tubs are a really nice feature. The rooms and hallways didn't smell like mold at all and seemed quite clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. Only downside was having to park 2 blocks away.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jennay121

Reviewed 5 June 2009

I have stayed at the plim plaza for two years now, so I knew what I was getting, and since we dont spend much time in the room, I figured "what the heck"..........WEELLL, first room this year was the absolute worst thing I have ever seen, Where to begin, the walls and shower curtain were covered in mold, the head board fell off when my friend got into her bed, the shower bottom was literally a piece of contact paper with a hole in the middle for the drain............(so bad we wore flip flops to shower) AND it wasnt even big enough to turn around in..................AND WAS FILTHY!!!! Bathroom light was COVERED in pure rust................got another room that was better..............but after being home a day I developed a horrible red itchy rash, and so did the friend I went with,,,,,,,,,,,,we both went to the Dr who told us that we had been bitten by BED BUGS!!!!!! I called the hotel, sent the physician statement, yet they are not taking responsibility for this. I know I got them there, first because my friend who stayed with me there did two, and second because my husband whom I sleep with every night who didnt go on the trip doesnt have them.......they would not compensate me in any way whatsoever!!! I have pictures of the rash, and the room that we stayed in and I am sending all to the MD board of health...............PLEASE BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank beanie1dubois
Reviewed 31 May 2009

We've been to Plim Plaza several times now. Rooms are cramped, mattresses not the best esp with the crinkle of plastic still rustling. Too many double beds not enough queen/king. If you want more space try for a communicating room for not much more cost. Fridge is an expected but still appreciated touch. Bathroom was much updated from last one we were in. Cleaning was hit&mis with some days better than others but staff willing to do whatever asked. Smell is musty and old but then it's an old motel at the beach-like another said, bring a candle. Fridge, TV, A/C, etc all worked.
Besides the rooms &hallways, the rest of the hotel is open, clean and airy. Attractive expansive lobby with tables and comfy furniture for lounging, eating, watching (2)tv or gathering with other guests. Drawing card for us is the long porch and deck full of rocking chairs facing the boardwalk for sun or rain.
Parking area is free, cramped & usually filled but 2 blocks away they have overflow and we never had any trouble there. This trip showed signs of some renovations.
Staff was always helpful and friendly but could get short when busy.
All 3 hottubs were down our first day but were fixed & filled same day and then like before quickly filled with kids. I think it should be parent required so more adults could actually use them. Pool always seemed clean and inviting, expect kid play.
Caribbean rooftop outside bar has friendly fun staff, good sandwich/snack fare and drinks with a terrific variety of entertainment on weekends, which is how we first discovered the place while staying elsewhere.
The bird gets moved around to its perch near the bar or inside lobby but has never been agressive unless someone is stupid enough to try to touch and even then it pecks and stops, not attacking.
Lobby has microwave, coffee/tea available 24/7. Ask @desk for hot choc. No continental breakfast which was surprising.
The Phillips buffet is dark inside, reasonable priced $13apprx but like most buffets variety is offset with bland taste. Desserts were good. Mug&Mallet has more variety and good food reasonable price. Plentiful restaurants of all tastes/price ranges within driving or walking range-ask at the desk they're very helpful.
Also, there appears to be 'regulars' that have been going there for decades who also regroup after Labor Day for a greatly reduced 2nd season trip price of Guest Appreciation Days. They're more than willing to share the best/cheapest/etc eating places around town.
In summary, It's an older place and the rooms size and oldness are its worst features but still ok. You don't need to stay in the room-even if grounded by weather the porch and lobby are available. The rest is updated, clean, open and nice. If still in doubt check the website for the virtual tours- the room they show is corner, ocean view, one bed-imagine two beds in that space and if you can handle that the rest is uphill.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank caeckard
Reviewed 25 April 2009

After seeing all the negative reviews, I felt I had to submit my unbiased reveiew. We have stayed at the Plim Plaza for summer vacations several years in a row. The Plim Plaza is an older Hotel, right on the beach and boardwalk. The location is fantastic. The Boardwalk is right there and you can walk to everything. From the Oceanfront rooms you can see the religious sand sculptures on the beach. The Plim Plaza is the ONLY Boardwalk Hotel that I know of where you can get an oceanfront room in July or August for under $200 that has a Pool, hot tubs, Pool bar and daily/nightly entertainment. Sure, the rooms are small, but what are you going to Ocean City for??? To sit in a Hotel room day and night?? The Pool bar is great and somewhat of a night spot for the younger crowd. I have dined at the Paul Revere Buffet Restaurant and found it to be fine. There is also another Restaurant called The Mug and Mallet. The Gourmet Coffee Bar located on the porch is great, but it should be open longer. The big wide porch is so nice in the morning, sipping some hot coffee and watching the sunrise. (For all you early risers!) As for the Parrot in the lobby, if you are dumb enough to stick your fingers/arm in a cage, then you deserve anything you get! In conclusion, the Plim Plaza is not the Hilton on 32nd Street, but a decent Hotel that doesn't break the budget. It does not deserve such negative reviews.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank mew0359
Reviewed 28 November 2008

I spent quite a few years living and growing up in South Carolina. So the whole idea of "going down the shore" is a new concept to me. In August of 2008 my girlfriend decided that we should leave Philadelphia on vacation for about five days at the Plim Plaza in Ocean City, MD.
Overall we had a good stay. As you have seen by doing your research, the Plim Plaza is not the most expensive place in OCMD. You get what you pay for. The room we stayed in faced the pool and was small. The room was also VERY old. The carpeting kind of made you feel like you didn't want to walk in your barefeet. All that being said - you get what you pay for. And let's be honest - how much time are you actually going to spend in the room? We slept there, showered and changed clothes there - that's it. Overlooking those little things - it was as advertised. There was a small refrigerator in our bedroom which came in handy, the staff was helpful, the maid service cleaned and did a nice job every day, and we were pleased enough that we decided that we would probably be back in the future.
Parking is hard to find right underneath the Plim Plaza although they do offer free parking a few blocks away. We parked our car over there and did not see it for our entire stay. We walked the entire week.
Most of our days were spent not in the ocean, but at the pool. There is bar service at the pool with a sometimes helpful wait staff. Our service was mixed - on the days when a waitress we tipped well was working (as I said we became regulars fast that week) the service was phenomenal. On the first day and on another day she wasn't working it did take a little while to get a drink. Despite that though - the pool service is a great perk! The drinks were well made and the food was VERY good (for lunch that is). You do need to get out to the pool by 10:30ish a.m though - otherwise good luck getting a pool chair facing the sun. There were a lot of kids around so don't expect to not experience "kid type" actions from time to time. Also - I'm not sure what it was but everytime we tried to use the hot tub there was ALWAYS a contingent of kids in them.
We spent an evening or two and sometimes a short stay after breakfast "people watching" from the porch facing the Boardwalk and the Beach - which was nice. You are right on the Boardwalk which is great for evening or morning strolls and you are very close to any number of places to eat. I highly recommend going down the Boardwalk to "Dumsers" for a scoop or three of Cocoanut Chocolate Chip Ice Cream - it is heaven in a cup!!!
Overall I'd be aware of the price you are paying when keeping in mind the room you are staying in. Like I said before we are open to going back to the Plim Plaza - you should at least consider it as well. We had a pretty darn good time (although we didn't stay in the room much)!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank hinser
Reviewed 3 September 2008

My husband and i stayed at plim plaza,it was very nice had a great time but there was one bad thing that went wrong the bird they have in the lobby who they allso let out in the bar area bit my arm and drew blood someone was taking pictures and i got a copy of what the bird did to me.My arm still hurts im tring to get intouch with the manager of the motel so i can send him a copy of the picture i have .So I'll keep you informened of what happenes .Toni From Maryland

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 25 August 2008

I have never stayed at a place so gross. We went there with our 3 children and would not allow them to take their shoes off in the room. The first room we were given smelled like smoke (non smoking room by the way) so we switched to a different room and it smelled like garbage. The room was extremely small. The mirror was cracked in the bathroom, the bathtub was filthy, the window in the bathroom would not close so we heard the noise from the boardwalk all night long. The shower was freezing cold and then switched to burning hot so my kids cried the whole time they took showers. The comforter had blood stains and burn marks on it. We could not open the window to get any fresh air in the room because we were afraid the kids were going to fall out. The hallway was filthy, the pool area was full of locals. We actually left a day early because we could not stay there any longer. We will most certainly not be going back there next year. I think any place would have been better than the Plim Plaza.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family