“The "Moldy" Beach Hotel”

Crystal Beach Hotel
Ranked #60 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Frederick, Maryland
“The "Moldy" Beach Hotel”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Booked this hotel for 4 nights. When we got into our room, I thought " this place smells very musty, we need to light a candle". The rug was damp and old, and there was mold clearly visible on the ceiling. Mold is very dangerous! We had to stay that first night due to we checked in late and it was 11:30 before we saw the ceiling. First thing next morning we called the desk, and told them about the mold. They said they would try to give us an upgrade, but had other people who had room issues also and did not know if one would be available. I asked for a full refund and they did give me my money back. They should not be renting out rooms with mold!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank roserx
carouselresort, Manager at Crystal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear valued guest, I'm sorry to hear about your less than excellent stay with us here at the Crystal Beach hotel. We are currently in the process of renovating rooms and in the Fall we will undergo a full renovation of the property to ensure guest satisfaction for years to come. Again, I'm sorry for your experience but I hope you and your family give us another chance.
Matthew James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Ocean City
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Room 201 not very clean. Food under television stand. Dried spills on wallpaper by sink and table. Refrigerator and microwave was very clean. Bathroom: spout on Jacuzzi tub was very loose. shower leaked, shower head dripped constantly when off (needs replaced), handle on toilet was loose which I fixed. Staff at Front desk very friendly. 5 stars for non-smoking establishment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Kim P
carouselresort, Manager at Crystal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear valued guest, I'm sorry to hear about your less than excellent stay here at the Crystal Beach hotel. We are currently in the process of updating our guest rooms and we will be doing a full renovation in the fall. We take pride in our great customer service and we hope to see you again soon!
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 July 2014

we already had reservations and got there early our family wasn't allowed to use the bathroom until check in timw. We traveled seven he's with four kids. The bathroom was dirty... Sand all over the floor. The bath tub was busted and patched up. The refridge was broke...the door wouldnt shut. Nice location but that's about it.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank smathianas
carouselresort, Manager at Crystal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear valued guest, I'm very sorry to hear about your less than stellar stay with us here at the Crystal Beach hotel in wonderful Ocean City, Md. I apologize that your room wasn't ready early but check-in time is guaranteed at 4pm. I hope you informed us about the problem with your refrigerator so we were able to promptly fix it. Thanks for being our guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

The location of the property was perfect but the housekeeping was terrible. After first night the only thing cleaned was the bathroom , beds never made , floor was dirty from previous guests, balcony was filthy and the next morning they attempted to enter the room when a do not disturb sign was on the door . The people at the desk were nice and the view was great

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Mathew B
Dear valued guest, thank you for choosing us for you oceanfront accommodations! I'm sorry to hear about your less than excellent stay with us here at the Crystal Beach hotel but I have noted your concerns and they will be addressed with the housekeeping staff. We hope to see again soon.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We booked the hotel through Expedia and I made sure that the room had two queen beds and a sofa bed. However, when we arrived at the hotel, the front desk stated that there were no rooms available with a sofa bed. We were placed in a room with two queens and a cot was brought for us (don't advise on using the cot). However, when we were getting ready to go walk the boardwalk, Nikki at the front desk stated that she could move us and upgrade us to an ocean front room with two queen beds and a sofa bed! That room was so much roomier and nicer than the other room we had and changed our trip dramatically. Nikki was very accommodating throughout our stay there and offered us suggestions on where to go/eat. The hotel has a "no party and smoking" policy that I thoroughly enjoyed since we were vacationing with my Mom, wife, and 2 year old daughter. We had a great experience at this hotel and Nikki was amazing to work with!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ohpaul
Dear valued guest, thank you for your review! I'm very happy to hear that you had such a great stay with us during your time in wonderful Ocean City, Md. As you experienced, having a great staff as well as an ideal location can create a very enjoyable vacation. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!
Bronx, NY
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My friend and I visited Ocean City, MD this past weekend! We were nervous about our hotel selection because it based on photos alone! Too our surprise we picked a winner! From the minute we arrived the staff was very helpful! Especially Mr. Lee! Mr. Lee went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful! The room was clean and comfy! The beach view from our balcony just made it all that more special! Love Love Love Crystal Beach Hotel! Will definitely visit there again.....

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank CaramelSundae
carouselresort, Manager at Crystal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear valued guest, thank you for the great review! I'm very happy to hear that you and your friend enjoyed yourselves at the Crystal Beach hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

First I'll give the positives. Beds were fine and seemed clean. View was nice. Room was fairly large and the front desk was super friendly. My main problem with the hotel was the cleanliness of our room during check-in. Our carpet definitely had not been vacuumed prior to our arrival. Shredded paper as well as beer caps were on our floor. We found our ironing board set up out on the balcony. Not sure how that was missed. My biggest problem came with the shower curtain. The inner side of the curtain was full of mold. I know we are at the beach and its musty but it was quite gross. Not sure if I would give it another try. Overall the experience wasn't the worst but I'd say housekeeping needs to step it up. First impressions last a life time.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Christie D
Dear valued guest, thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than stellar but I can assure you that your concerns have been noted and will be addressed. Crystal Beach is located in a great part of town and we have some of the friendliest staff around! Thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you again!