“more expected on a free Hilton rewards stay”

Hilton Suites Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #6 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Massapequa, New York
“more expected on a free Hilton rewards stay”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Now that this Hilton has priced us out of their market by charging $500/night, we can only stay here when we occasionally save enough points for a free rewards stay. Although it is conveniently located right on the beach and central to most attractions, not sure I'd spend that kind of money to stay here anymore. I was not warmly greeted upon my arrival as a gold member in their own rewards program. Customer Service seems to have faded over the years here, when originally the staff went out of their way to make your stay a good one. Having booked my rewards stay several months in advance, I expected them to honor my preferences for a high floor room away from the elevator as a frequent Hilton guest. I got a room on the second floor right near the elevator, quite the opposite of what I prefer. When I asked for an upgrade, the front desk person told me they were fully booked, without even checking to see if she could make other arrangements and that was the end of her story. The Concierge was never at his desk when we looked for him, but did come over when the front desk called him for us. On our last morning, we decided to try their breakfast in the hotel restaurant- with a long wait for service. Not sure I will be going back anytime soon, although we did enjoy access to the beach, pools and other area attractions.

2 Thank marccsw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
New York, United States
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Pools are great and suites are nice, very family friendly. PRicey but probably one of the nicest hotels in Ocean City. Do not eat at the restaurant, pricey and the service and food were both a huge disappointment, spend your money elsewhere. The restaurant was empty, unfortunately it cost us $80 to find out why. There are plenty of nice places to eat, I recommend the Hilton for the rooms/suites and pools, not for its restaurant.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Overall a great hotel. The kids pool (same as Holiday Inn) is the best in Ocean city, zero entry, different size slides, splash fountains. Adult pool has swim up bar, even an indoor pool. Beach is right there. Suite is very nice, carpeted, table to eat in living room and on balcony. Full kitchen with microwave, stone, dishwasher, full fridge. Large bathroom with whirlpool. Parking is free, which was a pleasant surprise. It is awesome to hear the sound of the waves at night while sleeping. Very clean and well kept. Very popular, when we arrived hotel was packed, initially we were going to be on the 2nd floor, but the manager found us a room on the 11th floor. Thank you for customer service Hilton.

Only hiccup was on the last day the kids pool closed down from 9a-11a due to the "chemicals needing to be balanced." I know this is picky, but why couldn't the chemicals get checked during 7p-8a when the pool was closed. There were 30 kids eagerly waiting during the 2 hours when closed. Normally I wouldn't complain but when at the Hilton and charging Hilton prices we expect them to be on top of things.

2 Thank Chris S
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 29 August 2014

My wife, one and three year old and myself stayed at the Hilton Ocean City Suites in August. I hope that I don't offend anyone with my review.

I've been traveling to east coast resorts trying to find a nice one that is comparable to caribbean/Hawaii resorts and one that is really a resort and not just a hotel. First thing about east coast beaches if you have never been to them. Their water is not blue, it is green, like a pond. If you see pictures of blue water, it's been altered.

From my trip, I have found that Ocean City is a place where people go to spend the lowest amount of money possible on hotels and eat the most for the lowest amount possible in a beach environment. This is evidenced by the endless upon endless seedy motels and “All you can eat” restaurants. This Hilton has a niche where it is a hotel in a sea (or ocean, haha) of motels. If you want to go to Ocean City and stay in a hotel, this is your place.

This Hilton is located north of the boardwalk by about 5-6 blocks. While you can walk to the boardwalk, you wind up on the north end which is the motel end. The stores are at the other end. Your choices are to walk 1.5 miles (they have signs on the boardwalk), or take the tram for $3.00 per person one way. While I don't mind paying for the tram, it is slow and will take you about 30 minutes. So count on 45 minutes to an hour to get to the boardwalk if you stay at the Hilton.

When you check in, you pull into a garage and it is somewhat confusing. The only signs are, “We aren't responsible for damage to your vehicle.” I found out why when I came out to my car later in the trip and found that it had been hit. Whatever you do, do not check in at check in time. I would do 5:00pm-6:00pm because it is chaotic. The steps to check in are: Pull up as close as you can to the door in the garage. Lock your doors or leave your spouse in the car to watch it. Go upstairs and check in. Come back down and locate a bell hop and give him your room number. They do not have valet at this hotel but they will park your car for you and find you to tell you where they parked it. I would have them park it since the parking is tight.

The front desk staff is ran by college students so it is not very professional. The person checking me in talked as fast as an auctioneer. I am a Hilton Diamond Elite and I was not thanked for being an elite member. I did get a bag that contained two waters and some cookies, $60.00 in food credit, and 20% off their in-house restaurant for being an Elite. There is no rope organizer so people checking in just kinda stand around in a loose group waiting for the next front desk person. You don't know if it is a line or just guests hanging around.

I booked my room under the Diamond Elite guarantee (I only need to give them 48 hours notice that I am coming) because they were completely full. They gave me a room on the 10th floor. Considering that people were on floors 5 and below with bad views, and they booked well before me, this was a priceless upgrade for an Elite. Thank you Hilton.

The rooms are all suites and they are long, not square. To me they are set up backwards. When you first enter the room it is the living area. Since there are no windows in the room and they use low wattage bulbs it is very very very dim. It kinda makes you go crazy. There is a door to a thin kitchen and large bathroom. The kitchen is nice and has everything you need. If you order out, the full sized fridge is nice. The bathroom is big but the rain shower takes a while to clean yourself. From the kitchen is a door that leads to your bedroom and the balcony with the view. The suite seems reversed to me. You want to spend time in the living area but it is dark with no view. When you eat dinner you are in the dark room. It would be nice to eat and hang out with a nice view. What I did was move the lounge chair and ottoman from the bedroom to the living area, and the dinner table from the living area to the bedroom. This made a world of difference. Now we could eat lunch and dinner with the view of the ocean.

While on the surface the room's floor was clean, in reality it was extremely dirty. After a few hours of walking around, my kids and my socks were black. I mean black like you have to throw them away black. You would not want to walk on the floor in your bare feet after seeing it. Hilton needs to clean the rugs.

Room service was great. They knew their menu and they did not ask you to repeat yourself. The time they quoted was always reasonable and they always got there 10-15 minutes before that. The staff was friendly and set up the food and went over each meal with you. Diamond Elite food credit works with room service which was a great benefit. As someone with little kids we eat a lot of room service. The fact that you can use the credits with room service and not have to be in the restaurant was great.

The hotel is very clean, but the pictures of the Hotel and its pools have been doctored. When you view pictures of the rooms and pool, remove any accessories/knit-knacks, plants, and pillows that you see. Anything leather is replaced with standard hotel fabric. The room has two full dressers and a closet so there was plenty of space. It does have a safe. Linens are white, not tropical themed as pictured.

They provide free Internet access which doesn't work at peak times because it gets overwhelmed. I had mistakingly selected that my first day. As an Elite member I get their premium wireless for free and I did not have any problems after switching.

The business center is two computers out in the open. You would not be able to get any work done but it does have printers.

The arcade is small and a few of the games were broken and took my money. The games are in a room and they did not count on the machines putting out heat so it was nauseatingly hot.

They do not have an executive lounge at this property but they do gave a concierge on the first floor.

The hotel pictures of the pool have been doctored. The palm trees pictured are fake, and any plants you see are not there. There are 3-4 times as many chairs as pictured so it is hard to move around. Everything is faded. There are not many umbrellas. People claim chairs at 6:00am and hold them all day, whether or not they are using them. In the kiddie pool area there are 127 chairs (I counted one morning). At 8:00 they were all taken, and there were only 6 people in the area. In other words, people came down and placed towels on the chairs, and then left. There is also an adult pool but it is swarmed by kids and “adult only” is not enforced. There is a “swim up bar”, but is is basically a hole in the ground next to the pool where they set up some liquor bottles and a frozen drink maker. You can't swim up either. They have a pool rope blocking access from the pool. You have to get out, walk to the end, and come down side pool steps (like the type of steps in the deep end). There are no chairs at the pool bar. The kiddie pool has a hot tub but it was green and about 80% foamy. (FYI, there should be no foam in hot tubs). I'm not sure why parents were letting their kids swim in that?

They have a “Lazy river” but it is only about 50 feet long and they have no tubes. If you want to use it, bring your own tubes. They do have a nice large water slide and a smaller one for toddlers. While there was a lot of kids in the pool, they all seemed nice and there was no pushing.

The pool is zero entry to 3 ½ feet deep. It is promoted as a kiddie pool and I found it too deep for my 1 and 3 year old as it dropped off pretty fast into water over their heads.

I only smelled smoke one time in the pool area. Both pool areas are gated.

One thing that made me and the rest of the guests mad is that they do not have enough life guards so they shut down the entire kiddie pool area while the life guards take a break. Now I am not against the life guards taking breaks, but they should be cycled out. What you wound up with was 60 kids crying and standing on the edge of the pool not understanding why they were pulled from the water and why they could not get back in. Many parents went to the life guards asking what happened and what was going on. When told that the life guards were taking a break the parents (myself included) where like, “What? Who does that?”

Special call out about the life guards. One was not even watching the pool. He was sitting in his chair bouncing a ball that he brought with him. He was yawning quite a bit. There was no point for him even being there other than to go on break and shut down the pool. Hilton, you should review your life guards by observing them from afar.

One thing that perplexed me was that my son and I came up the steps from the beach and some college student handed me two adult arm bands and one child armband that had “Hilton” on them. I asked what they were for and he said to get into the pool. I can understand that people probably come over from the other properties and they want to keep them out, but this guy didn't even ask me if I was staying at Hilton. I clearly did not come from inside. He was just giving them to everyone he saw. They should be given by the front staff when you check in. I doubt the lifeguards would enforce the bands anyway (they were too busy yawning, taking breaks, and bouncing balls to keep busy).

There does not appear to be wait staff for the pool area (meaning no drinks or food in that area). While the hotel pictures show their pool bar serving food on nice white plates and fancy glasses, they really serve it in plastic to-go containers.

The hotel does not offer any beach services. There is “Ed's Beach Chairs.” I'm not sure if you can charge to your room. Stroller and wheel chair access to the beach is through the garage. They have a garden hose attached to their garage wall for guests to wash off the sand from their feet before coming back into the hotel.

The gift shop/convenience store is really small. Four people would find it unconformable standing in it. They do not sell much there. The cafe is also very small. They do serve Starbucks coffee. The one time I tried to use the cafe to get a coke there was no-one there so I walked away after five minutes.

They do have kids activities that you can sign up for and they have a magic show for the kids at 8:00 (Tuesdays I believe). The magician is really nice.

I tried to get a late check out of 1:00 and was told there is no late check out during high season but that I could pack my car and use the hotel amenities for the rest of the day.

The hotel website claims this is a white sand beach. It is not. It is fine sand though with no pebbles, and while not the Hotels fault, the beach is very dirty which drags on the hotels image. There are, I would say, one cigarette butt per 2-3 square feet. There are plastic straws, plastic wrappers, and other trash all easily visible in the sand. I do not think that Ocean City runs a beach cleaner machine. Smokers, I'm not sure why you believe that your cigarette butts just magically melt away?

The guests were all nice at this Hilton. I did not run into any low class drunkards. It was mainly blue collar families that stuck to themselves and were polite.

So, how many stars would I give this Hilton? This is a 5 star compared to other Ocean City motels. Compared to resorts overall it's maybe a 3?

The benefit of this Hilton is for people who like Ocean City but don't want to stay in a place where the entire facade of balconies is plastered with drying beach towels and shorts. I had fun, but considering the type of place Ocean City is we probably won't be back unless driving through to some place else.

Room Tip: If you like coffee go to your local Starbucks and buy their instant and make your own to avoid bad h...
8 Thank shopkins1994
New York
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We go down to OCMD and stay at the Hilton every year. This was our sixth stay at the Hilton OCMD property. During the initial years we would pay the $500+ a night but joined the Hilton Honors program and now stay based on points. Unfortunately this review is a continuing trend of the hotel really not living up to the price/point tag. Consider that $500+ a night is approximately the same cost of the Four Seasons and this hotel falls way short.

PROS:
Location, absolutely perfect
Room size, we have three kids and it works out perfectly given the suite size
Pools, good and bad, kids have a blast but definitely need work
Staff, good and bad, the vast majority of the staff are always friendly, however we did have an issue.
Housekeeping, all good, room was always clean
Beach access is beyond easy

CONS:
Rooms are in need of a renovation, carpet torn, stains on furniture, screen door broken, deck furniture broken
Pools, really need a renovation as well, saw babies/kids in the adult pool with swim diapers on, not enforced at all, overflowing garbage cans, lifeguards not very effective at controlling the pool, granted some parents just let their kids go crazy
Staff, we asked for lid on our toilet seat, long story, the manager said they would send "engineering" no one ever came and they were asked twice. The room requested was not provided, we were on a lower level floor over the kiddie pool, not ideal. Never has an upgrade been provided considering we are Diamond members. I understand that is based on availability, but it seems they could care less regarding the HHonors status. Other Hilton's go out of their way to cater to HHonor members.
Food at the restaurants is ok, nothing great at all. Go to Anthony's on the corner for a really good sandwich.
Beer menu is a joke and you are not allowed to bring outside alcohol within the pool area.

Overall, as I have stated in past reviews, the hotel per night costs don't come anywhere close to what the customer receives in return. Even when using points it is a joke. However they continue to sell out every summer. Unless this starts to change I doubt anything will change in general, which is a shame. They need more competition at that level. Of course there are many hotels in OCMD, but the Hilton still is the best. They just need to understand that they are starting to alienate the customers that have been going there for years.

Room Tip: Request a room above the adult pool at a high floor level.
4 Thank hank1105
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The hotel was great and it was a perfect vacation. Room was clean and everything in the room worked. We were on the 7th floor above the pool. You could hear the pool but it was not bad. Our 5 year old thoroughly enjoyed the pool and being on the beach it was extremely convenient. Personnel at the front desk were friendly. Thank you Hilton for a great stay!

Room Tip: Higher the better. Make sure door slider is fully shut or AC wont come on.
2 Thank tjd360
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I am a Hilton Honers Diamond member, I stay here every year with my family, this hotel used to be a delight to come to every year, but the last few years we have had problems Every year during our stay.

In 2013 the fire alarm went off on the top 3 floors of the hotel at 11 pm at night. We evacuated to the lobby where no one even knew a fire alarm was going off, firemen showed up and still no one knew what was going on and what was worse no one knew how to turn OFF the alarms. No apologies for the incovinence, no explanations, but Scarey that None of the night staff had a clue. We just felt bad for the families in the lobby with their little kids... They were now awake and running laps around the lobby... So much for sleep!
Also noteable we watched a staff member vacuuming the Lobby with an old vaccum that kept sparking from the electric chord. We told the woman using it she shouldn't and told the front desk and they did get her to stop using it...

2014
This is the first year we have had a problem with housekeeping.
The first 3 nights we were here we called down to request turndown service every night and each night we were assured we were "set up" for the rest of the stay. Each night no one came. On the fourth night after calling the front desk again someone finally came, no blinds drawn, no chocolates on the pillows like in previous years - sure these aren't big ticket items, but they are minor annoyances.
I have also personally replaced the toilet paper in the room three times during out stay. In general the room is clean, but average cleaned... I've stayed in Sleep Inns that are Immaculatly cleaned every time, this just isn't up to Hilton standards and for $600 a night I expect for everything to be on the upper end of the standard, not average.
Saw housekeeping sweeping sand off the balcany at the Quality Inn next door, but here at the Hilton they don't even provide a dustpan and broom to sweep your own balcany.

We have never had a problem with smoking at this hotel before this year. Lucky us it seemed a chain smoker was out on a balcany beside us the whole trip making the balcany in our room absolutely unusable. You couldn't even open the door or the whole suite would smell like smoke. What good is being oceanfront if you can't open the door to enjoy the ocean noise. Some in our group have asthma so this was a real issue.
I have no problem with the hotel allowing smoking on the balconies but again you would think that if they were going to allow smoking they would have "smoking" sections of the hotel so that the non smokers could still enjoy what the hotel has to offer or go smoke free. Very disappointing.

99% of the staff at this hotel is incompetent. If you want to go to a bar after 11 pm you can't go to the one here. Before 11 go, you will find yourself in an unattended bar. If you are one of the lucky ones to catch the bartender while they are acctually at the bar (we were) they couldn't make their too shelf margarita because "someone would have to go get the 1800 from the basement". Then I asked for a mojito "umm...well I guess someone could go get the mint from outside" ... Those are acctual quotes from the bartender. Are you kidding me? (We had one male bartender the first night of our stay who was attentive and competent and made great drinks, why they didn't keep him for the WEEKENDS too is beyond me).
While we were waiting we saw 2 other parties come to the bar, sit down, wait and eventually give up and walk out. This was while the 2 female bartenders were behind the bar, making our drinks... These other groups were completely ignored, I don't blame them at all. After giving us our drinks we were promptly left Alone in the bar. I went to look for our waitress in the adjoing breakfast area and there was no one to be found. Never leave your bar unattended.... Bartending 101.

Other reviews have mentiond kids in the adult pool playing ball among other things, this was absolutely true of this year but has not been in prior years.

Summary:

There isn't anything Wrong with this hotel, but for the price they want you can get a subpar stay oceanfront somewhere else for less. Save your money unless Management steps up to bring this Hilton up to standards and brings this hotel back to it's former competent and welcoming glory for all.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Nightowl47