“Absolutely amazing experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Pittsburgh
“Absolutely amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

This hotel is one of the best run hotels that I've ever stayed in. I'll try to keep this short and to the point. I've been traveling for 4 years for my company, in and out of hotels literally 300+ days a year and this hotel takes the cake for most accomodating, best managed hotel. We stayed there 7 days this June and everything about the trip was fabulous. These were the cleanest rooms that I've ever seen. Our kitchen floor was scrubbed everyday, dishwasher loaded and run for us, tub scrubbed and new sheets several times during the week. Ivette was our housekeeper and she was amazing. The kitchen in these units is a full size kitchen with a full size oven, fridge, microwave and dishwasher. We used this for breakfast and lunch everyday. I want to keept his short so I'll just say that I don't really have any complaints for this hotel. We are so smitten by this hotel that we signed up for the Hilton Credit Card to get Hilton Honors points faster so that we can return next year.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cawllins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

Just got back from a five day stay at the Hilton. Unfortunately, it turned out to be rainy the majority of the time we were there. Had we been anywhere else but the Hilton, the entire trip would have been miserable. Instead, we had a lovely time and the kids had a blast. Rain doesn't deter the kids from the water and they loved going to both pools (the adult pool also had live entertainment and a great swim up bar for the rest of us) and going to the beach. The hotel has arts & crafts activities and movies every day. A life-saver on rainy days. Our 8 yr. old went Clown School, decorated t-shirts, made frisbees, and watched a few movies. While the hotel is expensive, the fact that every room is a suite makes up for it. We had our privacy in our own room and the kids got to do their thing in the living room. Having the kitchenette was nice for breakfasts and lunches. We looked at less expensive options in Rehoboth and other locations, but this] ended up being the best deal.

2 Thank TravelJunkieFR
pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

We just came home after a week at the Hilton. Fred the bellhop was very cordial and goofed around with my son while unloading our luggage. I was dissapointed to have to wait very long for a room when I thought we were guaranteed a 3pm checkout. It was worth the wait. Very nice and clean except our backs needed realignments after the beds. I'm so glad to be home on my mattress after their's. Great fruit in lobby every day. The best oranges, bananas, apples and even kiwi. The front desk addressed me by name every day. Big turnoff was kids craft activity. I saw a note at desk that said 2pm the kids can make pinwheels. My son really wanted to stay and make one so we changed our plans around that day to wait for 2pm. When we went down Joann who was working the desk in the craft room said it was booked. We never saw a signup sheet or a note on calender that said it was full. She told us we had to wait at least another half hour to come back and see if he can get it. Very UNaccomadating for a Hilton. She was very rude and uncaring and really should not be employed in doing crafts with children. Another parent told me a little girl was crying in the bathroom because she got turned away. Not very nice to upset the kids! I as well as other parents complained and Nicole did accomadate us and even noticed that the room could easily fit more children to take 15 minutes to make a pinwheel. We did not eat at the restaurant since we prefer the all u can eat buffet and crab legs at the Bonfire and the fabulous crab bisque at Captain's Gallery off of 50th street. The weather was not that nice but it didn't matter in this hotel. Heated outdoor pools and indoor pool that was open until midnight and big comfortable rooms with balconies to read a book on. Been to Ocean City Md for 20 years and this was by far the best hotel we stayed in, esp. if you have small children who would enjoy the pools and slides and whirlpools. Our last day we usually check out and head home but they have great changing rooms with showers and shampoo so we stayed on beach until after dinner and was able to shower and ride home fresh and clean. That gave us a whole extra day that we don't ever get at other hotels.
One thing to note was I thought I heard fire alarms in distance but didn't really know what it was. As we went down hall to go to town, I smelled smoke and looked out back window to see throngs of firetrucks and people in streets looking up at our building. Other people on our floor were panicked and could not get an elevator. I realized that our building was on fire. We ran down the steps to lobby thinking the alarms did not operate on our floor. The firemen told us the fire was on second floor and contained so they only evacuated first and third floors but this had us shaken up since we did not know this was the policy. I later could not find that listed on emergency information in room so good to know for future.
Overall very nice stay but pricey but seems that all the older places we stayed at are getting pricey too and the Hilton was very comfortable and nice to stay even in inclement weather.

1 Thank mangomolly
Springfield, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

We visited Ocean City MD for a day in between Washington DC and Greensboro, NC. I checked out some of the reviews to the other hotels in the area, but really wanted something that was quiet and really relaxing. I read the other reviews about this hotel and was immediately hooked. We were there on a Tuesday at the beginning of May, so obviously not the height of tourist season. This hotel is right on the beach and from the looks of it, all rooms have an oceanfront view. This place is spectacular. We had just stayed at the Willard Hotel in Washington DC, so our views were going to be skewed a bit after that "luxury" stay. We arrived and were greeted on the ground floor by a doorman who offered to grab our luggage for us. We used the elevator to the 2nd floor (the lobby) and there were about 3 people total checking in. The front desk staff was very nice and even offered laundry supplies as we were looking to start washing ASAP. The laundry facilities (on every floor!) are free. Two washers and two dryers. A nice folding table also, you really can't ask for more from a hotel while you're on a road trip. Our room was on the fourth floor, and was fantastic. You walk into the "living room" which is equipped with a couch with a queen hideaway bed, chair, table with four chairs, and flat screen tv. You then continue to walk towards the sliding glass door to the patio and walk through the galley kitchen area with the bathroom. The kitchen is fully equipped, even down to plates/cups/silverware. The refrigerator was clean, everything was clean. The bathroom was huge, dual sinks and a massive jacuzzi tub with a shower. Their toiletries are Evelyn and Crabtree brand, I'm hooked! You then walk into the master bedroom, which had a chaise lounger and flat screen tv. There was even a safe in the closet. The balcony had another table with four chairs for outside dining or relaxing. Both the bedroom and "living room" had doors, so that there could be privacy between the two rooms. The bed was fantastic, and the decor was simple and set the relaxing tone. We will definitely be back to this hotel!

There was an indoor pool as the outdoor pool wasn't open. There was an on-site restaurant, I wouldn't suggest it, as their menu was lacking. The room service menu had more on it than the restaurant. There was also a Starbucks on-site, that was a nice touch at the end of the day. There was limited parking underneath the building, I could see it being a very busy place. They even had a hose hooked up to the building where you come off the beach to the parking garage to clean off the sand from your feet. (The small things really matter!)

This place might hit a little harder on the budget, but we found it to be well worth it.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Busigrrl21
Stoughton, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

We just got back from wonderful family vacation and it was because of this hotel that we will have such a memorable experience! Our trip started off by arriving three hours earlier than planned and we called the hotel and they told us that early check-in would not be a problem. We had a room ready for us on arrival. Fred greeted us at the car and brought all the baggage to the room for us. What a pleasant man! I know it is his job, but he went above and beyond expectations. The suite was spacious and elegantly decorated. The hotel is situated off the boardwalk, but within walking distance. The Jolly Roger amusement park across the street was a huge disappointment. Three major rides were not working (flume log, ferris wheel and gravitron). Seems like they were all cable and mechanical issues. Not worth the money at 33rd street, but if you want to experience the amusements I would advise to go to the one located at the Pier. The hotel kiddie pool was AWESOME. The pics on here do not do it justice. Very warm and relaxing! Well supervised by lifeguards too. My kids (5 and 2) must have done the slides 70 times! I even did it a few times. Rooms were very quiet and did not hear neighbors in rooms next to us. The hotel was clean, beach was beautiful and stay was lovely. The beds were amazingly comfortable. We cooked in the kitchen for all meals which kept costs down. Also, i would highly recommend going to Fishtales for dinner. It is located at 21st street on the bay. Fun for all ages and the sunset was great to watch. THey have a pirate boat that the kids can play on and it kept my kids busy while we relaxed and enjoyed our meals and drinks. Have fun!

1 Thank clarkjj
Harrisburg, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

My family and I normally fly far away to stay next to a really great pool somewhere. This year we decided to save the airfare- and give the Hilton OC a try since it's only 4 hours from home.

The hotel is very nice. I won't say I was completely WOW'ed by anything specifically- but you won't have any complaints- and there are definitely some nice touches. In early June- the prices haven't yet gone completely through the roof- and the pools are generously heated. My boys ( 8, 11, 13) all had fun in the kiddie pool. There are no tubes for the lazy river. The area would really be too congested for that. We all cut our feet at one time or another in the lazy river area. The water circulates quickly and can knock you around-although there are plenty of areas in the pool that are not rough- and easy for little ones navigating around.

The adult pool has a swim-up bar and had outdoor entertainment the one day that we were there. My tip would be to bring along a sleeve of plastic cups. You may bring your own drinks to the pool as long as you don't bring in glass. And there's a blender in the room. This pool is open until 8pm. The indoor pool is open until midnight.

The rooms were VERY clean. Comments about it being a little dark...yes- in the living area. But they do provide you with lighting options galore, so you could get it really bright if you wanted too. The sacrifice in natural light comes with the bonus of knowing that EVERY single room is ocean front. We were there during Senior Week, but you would never know it while you are at the hotel. It's expensive and doesn't attract kids coming to party. Another guest did tell me that she was heckled on the boardwalk for wearing her blue band while walking around. I personally wouldn't wear the band outside of the hotel area- just in case. But if you do- sure you'll be fine.

Other nice touches....Crabtree & Evelyn products, fresh fruit in the lobby every day, laundry services free to guests. We were even surprised when we got a soda from the vending machine( which is one of the newer ones and entertaining all on it's own - if you've not seen it yet!!) Coke was $1.00 a bottle- or .40 a can. I had expected to pay $3.00 a bottle in this place. My family liked the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom , but the reviews were mixed on the rainfall shower head.

Looking for some complaints???? The toilet paper is a far stretch from the toilet. My 8 year old couldn't reach it and needed help. That's about it. This hotel is very service oriented. By the 3rd day, I was kind of annoyed that our room wasn't getting made up until 4:30 pm- but I'm positive this would've been addressed if we had complained. We had a beautiful morning and saw dolphins galore around 6:00am. If you don't see dolphins, I'm convinced it means a storm is on the way. That certainly held true for us- at
least.

You are about a ten minute walk from the Boardwalk, but there aren't a lot of restaurants at the end- so be sure you aren't too hungry when you get there- because there's a walk ahead of you to hit the bulk of the restaurants. We didn't eat there but heard that Peppers is a 5 star Mexican dive and well worth it. You are right across the street from Andrew's Subs, Burger King, McDonalds- and Jolly Roger Amusements. Additionally, it's a short walk to Fractured Prune (yummy!) doughnuts and Happy Jack's Pancake House. Nothing fancy, but the pancakes were good. There is a Starbucks kiosk in the hotel, but they aren't full functioning and can't make frappucinos there.

As for Ocean City dining....Our boys were excited for seafood buffets- which they'd never experienced. The Bonfire was rated high. Not impressed. It's fine. Some things were better than others. Nothing will blow you away. The $19.99 special with a drink doesn't advertise that the drink is going to cost you $3.00 . Not a big deal- but a surprise. Phillilps food - by and large- was better. HOWEVER, I left feeling we'd been completely had. The experience starts when you walk up and must decide on the street if you are doing the buffet or traditional, which has separate entrances. The buffet people are hustled up the stairs - where you are forced to remain smashed up against the wall like a herd of cattle. It's expensive- so obviously you want to eat. The food was SOOOOO salty. I appreciate good food but am not picky by any stretech. There is no doubt in my mind that they oversalt the food to keep you from eating as much. It worked!!! And the ultimate kicker - causing the steam to rise to my ears.....your plate is a salad plate- not a dinner plate. The crab legs are "handed " to you. Portion control??? There is almost no room left on your plate. And the absolute best part????? It's EXTREMELY tight in there. There are lines with no beginning or ending...and they ( STRATEGICALLY???ABSOLUTELY!!!!!) place the plates in the middle of the buffet areas. Let me tell you , you have to REALLY want your food to be willing to wait in line to get to a plate...then back track along- injecting yourself in lines- making people mad. Then ..just try to get your crowded plate back thru the lines to your table!! Good luck!!This had the feel of being in a crowded bar- trying desperately to fight the crowds to get to a rest room. I gave up. It wasn't worth it. I would NEVER EVER let myself be had like this at Phillips again.

We met friends at Fish Tales. The kids will love the pirate ship and the sand. We weren't impressed with the $6.99 hot dog kid's meal- and should probably have just ordered our son a cheesesteak. The food was ok. The atmosphere is great to sit and talk- drink by the bay. I can see that they try to get you out of there quickly- since it would be easy to spend an entire night there taking up a table that they could be turning.

My husband liked Piezano's Pizza on the Boardwalk. I thought bang for buck Wrappers was good. Yummy pretzel stuffed with real crabmeat....$6.00. The Polish Water Ice was watery. We liked Dip N Dots. Th Candy Kitchen no longer carries chocolate covered gummy bears but they have great sales bins on their Webkinz!!!

All in all-if you're going to be in Ocean City, MD for some reason....by all means stay at the Hilton. The hotel is fine. It's just a shame that Ocean City is such a rat hole. With fond memories of this place in quiet Septembers, this family is officially done with this town.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank kate612
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2009

First, I would NOT recommend the rooms with the Hot Tubs - the hot tubs are really just overgrown bathtubs - the hot tub doesn't heat the water and it doesn't have any air bubbles - the water barely moves around. The maintenance engineers said NONE of their hot tubs worked. So don't waste the extra money for those Terrace/Hot Tub rooms.

If you get away from that part - the rooms are nice and clean, the views are spectacular. The cost of the rooms was over the top - but you do get a really nice view of the Atlantic ocean - there's nothing between you and the sand except for the pool area downstairs.

A great plus here was NO HIDDEN CHARGES for parking, wireless internet - no hidden charges at all.

Another thing to watch out for is the lack of security at this hotel.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay but wouldn't get the Terrace Rooms with the Hot tubs again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple