“Disgusting!”

The Islander Motel
Ranked #96 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“Disgusting!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. I wonder if they even clean it. While walking to our car we seen that they don't even Vaccum! They sweep the carpet! The washer & dryer is old & outside and you can see it when you walk to your car. For over $500 for the weekend I expected something cleaner! Tip to anyone who will stay here in the future, bring Lysol!!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Courthalecki6

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

Should have known not to stay when it took 5 minutes to open the door! locks didnt work. couldnt lock the door. The room smelled the pee and mold! everything about this place is gross! I checked in at 2:30 and dropped my stuff off. Thought maybe putting the air on would help. Came back ended up checking out. The smell got worse!!! Dirty sheets/Blankets, Broken lights, no hot water. Didn't even stay long enough to feel the bed.
This motel ended up charging me TWICE! After I checked out, a few hours after checking in, the man at the desk reimbursed me for my money. A few days later I look at my account, not only did they not credit me back my money, but charged my account twice!!! called everyday for a week to reach the manager. Finally had to go to my bank and dispute the payment to get my money back! THIS PLACE IS TRASH!

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
1 Thank BeeLo12

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Westminster, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

This hotel has changed ownership within the last year. We stayed last year and had a pleasurable stay. The hotel is old, but the friendly staff and cleanliness made up for it. This year, however, was a completely different story. I traveled with a group that all together occupied three rooms. We all had the same experiences: the rooms are filled with flies, and I alone killed about five mosquitoes in our bathroom. The bathrooms are not maintained; The shower curtains were slimy and paint peeled off the shower curtain rod in big chunks which landed on you while you showered! The air conditioners don't work properly; one room had to turn theirs on "heat" to get cold air to come out. I don't believe there to be a single fitted sheet in the whole place. The beds were made with flat sheets on the bottom, which come untucked from the mattress immediately upon laying in the bed, exposing the disgusting, stained "mattress pad" underneath. Also, they don't service your room, even if you hang the "please service room" sign on your doorknob. The staff simply leaves a garbage bag of towels and a single roll of toilet paper tied to your doorknob! Also, we stayed in this hotel for bike week. Upon check-in, we were told that motorcycles do not require parking passes. However, we awoke the next morning to pieces of paper TAPED TO THE PAINT of a few of the motorcycles, informing us that we did not have parking passes, each room was only allowed one car per room, and our vehicles were going to be towed at our expense. There is a lot of fine print on their stay agreement, with one of the more interesting points being that there is a $35 fee if you don't take out your own trash! I could go on all day about all the issues we had, but it's just easier to tell you not to waste your time staying here. NOTHING is refundable for ANY REASON, as the agreement stated multiple times, so don't bother. Just stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: All the rooms are disgusting. Don't bother!
3 Thank Kim S
Owings Mills, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

We walked into the room and almost cried.The whole place is filthy. The only good thing is its a block from the beach but we literally had to by Raid and Lysol and spray EVERYTHING just to feel comfortable enough to sit in the chairs and lay in the beds. There were flies everywhere and apparently a leak in our ceiling was repaired with a paper towel before our stay. It still leaked. And I'm pretty sure this place doesn't have a maid. We were informed that we must take out our own trash or be charged $20... our room had a small filthy kitchen area with a moldy fridge with a sign that said the maid doesn't do the kitchen, so clean it yourself. Nothing looked smelled or felt like it had been cleaned in years. Had to get drunk just to be delirious enough to sleep on the bed. Awful.

Room Tip: Don't go here.
2 Thank Lauren B
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

This place is a dump. We were in room 27 and literally packed up out stuff and paid for another room at a different hotel because God knows they won't give you your money back. We have hives on our legs and found dried vomit or fecal matter all over the inside of the bathroom door. If you stay take a couple cans of Clorox wipes. You will need every single one of them. We saw the linens they were getting ready to put in people's beds sitting on the very dirty balcony. All I can say is I felt cleaner not taking a shower than taking one there. Rooms are very small and dark. A lot like being in a cave. I can't think of nice thing to say about The Islander Motel.

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Jaimet49
Ridley Park, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

If they fixed this place up it would be nice.
Great location on 20th street across from Phillips. One block walk to the ocean.

--the Pool area--
Dirty fountain in the pool area. Lovely shade of light brown water.
Broken lounge chairs in the pool area. Right where your butt would sit, there are not slats on the chairs.
Dead plants in the pool area.
Large and clean pool.
The tables and chairs are a mismatch, umbrellas are somewhat tattered. Empty planters are used as ashtrays.
Smoker friendly.

--perimeter of the hotel--
Needs sweeping. Trash, debris, cigarette butts, etc...general litter.

--The motel itself, the room--
First thing I noticed was the wood on the door near the locks, it appeared as if it had been broken into by the cops or someone wanted in real bad. Chunks of wood missing.
The room was cool, functional AC.
I saw no bugs.
Maid service was a joke. Towels scarce, bring your own.
The linens were dated and the maid doesn't make beds well. No fitted sheets and she doesn't know how to do hospital corners. Prepare to remake your bed.
No carpet, just bare floor tile and that's ok if it was clean. Wear your flip flops while walking.
There was a stove in our room. Electric and rusty on the top. Inside the cabinets were pots and pans, but the cabinets were filthy, so wash the pots and pans WELL before you use them. Best if you don't attempt it.
Wood paneling on the walls circa 1970. Mismatched light fixtures. Broken lampshades.
Poor choice of tv channels.
Remote didn't work and had no back over the batteries. We found the remote on day 2 under the bed.
Under the bed...belongings that didn't belong to us. The maid doesn't clean under the bed.
Table and 4 mismatched chairs of various shapes and sizes.
NO WATER PRESSURE to speak of for a shower.
Dated and difficult to use faucets, especially graduating between hot and cold.
Windows could use a good washing. Marked and spotty.
Bathroom could use a really good scrubbing.
The entire room could have benefitted from a bleach bath.
Drawers in the dresser were broken and fell off the track. Just leave your things in a bag please.
No hospitality at all whatsoever.
No wifi signal to speak of even though it is clearly stated 'free wifi'.
The best part about this motel was the pier and the docks, which you can go crabbing or fishing off of. The kids loved that and feeding the ducks that swam in there.
I'd recommend this if you are spending 99% of your time OUT of the room or if you are on a NONEXISTANT budget.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank kjill99
Mt Airy, MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

While this motel is certainly a deal and sometimes you get what you pay for, I have to say that I was a little disappointed with this motel and would not recommend it to anyone. While the room was fairly clean, there were a few things that I would recommend they fix. There were very few outlets in this room. We had to decide between watching TV and having a light on. I also had to dry my hair in the kitchen area. Our toilet was very wobbly so it was difficult to sit on (especially my young children), the tub did not have a stopper so my 5 year old had to take a shower (which she hates!), the shower did not have a shower head, just a pipe coming out of the wall with very low water pressure to get the sand off. I would recommend you bring your own towels since they only give you tiny ones that barely cover a body. The dead bolt on the door did not work and the door barely fits into the jam so everyone would slam their doors to get them closed. The pool was in very bad condition, broken tiles, non working fountain, etc. This motel is also on the bay side so you do have to walk across Coastal Highway to get to the beach. If you have small children, be aware of this. Wouldn't recommend to anyone except maybe a college student who wants a cheap vacation and doesn't care much about location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family