“Never again”

The Islander Motel
Ranked #96 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“Never again”
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

For $140 a night you'd expect a decent hotel but this was not my experience. The room smells like wet rags, rugs are filthy, and the sheets on my bed were not changed from the previous guest (had stray hairs on pillows and a dead bug). I did my usual bed bug check but who knows.. the mattress was stained and had old Marriott box-springs. The air conditioner worked well after we figured out that "heat" really meant "cool". The bathrooms are kinda creepy and I was always on the lookout for a bug to crawl out of the ceiling. Towels were washed but were stained and felt rough. The pool was enjoyable at least. And I appreciated a working refrigerator. Oh and before you check out you have to take out your own garbage and used towels!

4 Thank foodie_cutie_P

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 September 2013

me and family went to Ocean Maryland 09/29/2013-09/31/2013 my sister book through Book.com she book the Islander Motel this motel was a mess the place hasn't been dusted in years, mildew smell , carpet dirty , sheets dirty, bed lining dirty piss spot in the bed blood spot in the bed, plastic cover sheets was torn towel so dirty black, around toilet dirty,bathroom floor dirty,shower curtains look like they scummed the floor with them, bath door crack no soap in the bathroom TV one channel,the chair you sit in out side of the motel was dirty, the Islander is a filthy motel I took pictures of this place unbelievable the Dept of Health needs to shut this place down this place stinks we paid 157.00 to stay in the hell hole we went and brought sheets and towels and sprays nothing help we just couldn't sleep in this nasty nasty dump we sleep in the car a wast of 157.00 what i took from this experience is motel and hotel that are booking people through these website needs to make sure this place have been inspected before they book people their we should get a full refund from book.com my sister try to call and cancel the motel the motel refused to let book.com cancel we saw why it is a shame when a hotel that nasty is still open its needs a upgrade ASAP the little time i spend in the motel i smell just like it all my things smell like that nasty place something has to be done to shut this place down i am going to go on every website and blast this Motel until something is done this place is TERRIBLE!!!!!!

Room Tip: when going on the internet be sure the company you book with check to see if the Motel have been ins...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank gladys G

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

York, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The carpets were pretty disgusting in our room. Stains all over the floor and it didn't feel soft like carpet. Beds were alright, and bathroom was clean. The towels felt as though they were falling apart from bleaching so many times. The kitchenette was a little dirty but most people clean the dishes and silverware before using them anyhow. They claim you can use their wifi, but I called for the password 3 times because it wouldn't connect and wasn't sure if it was a language barrier and that I misheard the lady over the phone. So not sure, but we just went without internet. The view out of our efficiency was gorgeous. I took panoramic photos of it because it was awesome to look out the window while eating at the little kitchen table. We were on the very end and had a view of the docks located directed behind the efficiency building. I even turned in the keys a few minutes past 11am and they did not overcharge me. Overall it was an ok place. People on here need to realize you get what you pay for and for me being a mother with one income, this place was ideal for us. Very quite and away from the busy roads too (at least the efficiency building was off the main road). Pool was clean and only 3-4ft deep so it was perfect for little kids who do not swim well.

Room Tip: Ask for the efficiency on the end (we were room 68 or 69 I think) they have the best view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Holly M
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The first problem was they said it was brighton the boardwalk...lies. they told me i was going to have 2 rooms..lies. The refrigerator didn't work, the room stank, we started sweating right when we walked in and the a.c. unit couldn't cool it off. To top it off the lady at the front desk kept trying to talk down on me like I was stupid and i was suppose to know this is what i paid for. She kept walking away from me and refused to give me any money back. We left in less than 20 minutes and found a better cheaper hotel.

4 Thank BatesFamilyTravels
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Bad service dirty room smelly room dirty carpet old AC not adjustable .not enough light in the room too dark. Broken lights top of the sink. No hangers . AC was off and refrigerator as well when we entered the room. Bathroom was awful not enough towels. Broken things in bathroom. No shampoo no tissue any where. Even for free I will not accept it. How can they make money this way without make customer happy. Even chair outside I did not like to sit on . Whoever owner is only collecting money without giving the service.
I never recommend to anybody
To book the vacation with them.

1 Thank 4696
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night over the weekend, had tried numerous other hotels/motels on arrival into Ocean City, but most had 2 night policy's or were fully booked so this motel was the final choice! Only 2 blocks from beach which was the only good thing.
Rooms were clean but very dated. Bathroom light stopped working during stay and shower didn't have a head nor did it work! Some fellow guests were extremely noisy in the early hours of the morning, a lot of families were staying at the motel, so was surprised management didn't reprimand.
Loved Ocean City, but won't be staying here again.

1 Thank JCambridge
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

First off I would like to say for the past 30 years of my life I have been coming to ocean city for vacation and out of that 30 years this was the worst it started out when we got there our room was not the price advertised when we looked on the ococean site and once we arrived our room was filthy with dirty towels n trash cans full of trash and as a smoker reeked of cigarette smell and the bathroom trash can had used tampons in it and smelt like mildew and looked like it hasn't been clean in the last year or so and the stove top was rusted and greasy and the balcony was nasty and kids running and screaming and strangers letting there kids just walk in your room and people drinking and acting stupid and the worst part of it is I was scared to stay there and once I got to sleep I woke up covered in bed bug bites and when I first approached a staff member about it I asked if they had a problem with bed bugs and he said yes last week in room 26 well surprise surprise that was our room so I told my dad they would move our room but when we decided to move to another hotel n made the staff aware of it that we wanted a refund n to check out he made me feel like I brought them with me and like I was the problem well first off I'm a mother of a child who has mersa and is cautious that she doesn't end up with an outbreak and a very clean person who didn't bring the flipping bugs with me jerk and because of your filth bucket you call a motel I'm covered with bumps and they hurt thanks not how I'm suppost to spend vacation I do not advise anyone not even my worst enemy to stay in this place we ended up coming to the Americana hotel which not only is way cheaper but 1,000 times nicer and CLEANER with nooooooooo bugs this place needs to be shut down and burned to the grown

3 Thank StephanieLewis83