“A slum of a hotel”

The Islander Motel
Ranked #97 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“A slum of a hotel”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

There are Holes in walls , stains everywhere, The smoke detector was hanging off wall in the room we were staying at. The bathroom had painted plywood for a wall. Ocean city maryland doesn't have any rules for the board of health to inspect hotels. Before you sign in I advise u to look at the room your going to stay at because there is no refund policy. My family and I couldn't stay in this scummy, 3rd world hotel for a whole day. Their owners/ management ,blamed their customers for the condition of their hotel and didn't attempt to clean up . We Have complaints with the chamber of commerce ,the fire marshal , board of health and city hall. Just stay away!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Usuall

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Adena
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed ten days at this place.. I mean ( my) room was ok.. But this hotel was infested with ants and other sorts of disgusting things! I went by myself bc I haven't been on a vaca for 8 yrs soo decided to just leave n go to ocean city since I've been going there since I was 17 then stopped going bc of college n work... Anyways found this hotel and had vacancy. So I just said it I'll just stay here bc I couldn't find another hotel in my price range and just wanted to enjoy the beach n boardwalk.. I was barely even at the hotel I would get all my stuff and leave for the day and not come back till really late.. But it is definitely not maintained basically a party spot for teens.. Cig butts everywhere.. Load annoying people.. Maids all Romanian, manager rude.. I did enjoy my ten days down there but not the hotel!! It's not that terrible but not a place for a family to stay!! I would be in the grand hotel most of my days there... Lol Atleast it was close to the BW and beach..

• Stayed July 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

When you fail to invest in your property it speaks volumes where your priorities are. I'm 47 and I was the youngest thing in the room. If you want to rent to bikers and college kids that will trash the room then here you are.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Brooklyn Park, Maryland
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Booking.com a room as gift for my son (23). After printing out my reservations I noticed that this place requires valid ID and credit card. I called and spoke with the manager and explained that I booked a reservation but it was for my son what could I do because I wasn't driving 3 hours to sign a credit card receipt and show ID. I even offered a notarized letter stating who he was and had permission. Manager stated I had to come to OC and sign for him. Little did I know that since I had booked 8 days in advance that she was guaranteed a cancellation fee. I advised her that I would be cancelling cause I wasn't come there. Even booking.com rep called her asking to waive the fee. She would not. From the time I booked the reservation, printed the receipt, talked to the motel manager, called booking.com, and canceled.... it only took 37 minutes. Booking to canceling took 37 mins!!!! This manager charged me $388 for a room booked 8 days in advanced that she didn't even have to do anything. Talk about money hungry tourist trap. I will tell every person I know, that in 37 minutes OXNA, the manager, made $388. OXNA--know what they say about KARMA. After reading TRIP ADVISOR about this place I could have saved $388, Sounds like a dump anyway. Broke but Wiser

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Donna Q
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Manager was very RUDE! The second she saw us walk through the door. Guess cause we weren't Mexican. Decided to go somewhere else! She said we had to pay for the whole week. Threw away $160 for first night which came out of my account, and never went back. We didn't even see the room. Lady by the pool said she saw ants in the kitchenette and they couldn't get hot water for showers cause everyone at hotel must have been showering at the same time. We will drive here for now on and choose a hotel instead of booking online.

Room Tip: Pictures on the internet are deceiving. The outside is a dump!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jennifersK7196LI
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

The place is disgusting. Place is totally out of date. They are Russian owners & are only worried about a buck. Fire hazard beware!!! I will be calling the Town of Ocean City on this one. No phone in room. No washcloths in room. The doors stick making it very difficult to open the door. The pool is filthy.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank rockfish3
Sykesville, Maryland
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Needed a room at the last minute for cruise weekend and didn't check the reviews before booking the room. Boy what a mistake, the room was disgusting, smelled musty and the AC didn't work at all. The kitchenette if you want to call it that was latterly crawling with ants. took one look at the bed and went to a local store and bought my own sheets and pillow to use and left them there when I checked out........ Lesson learned, no matter how fast you need a room always check the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo