“Awful hotel, overpriced, no hot water, owner harasses guests”
Review of The Islander Motel

The Islander Motel
Ranked #97 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Do not stay at this hotel if you can get a room anywhere else. This is possibly the worst beach hotel I’ve ever stayed at on the East Coast. The hotel I usually stay at in Ocean City was full, as were some other options, but this place had vacancies. Now I know why. The first issue with the hotel was the price. Had the other hotel I wanted to stay at not been fully booked, I could have stayed there for $120-160 a night. Instead I paid $210 for one night, at this [--] hotel that was farther from the beach (about 4-5 blocks from the boardwalk), farther from the attractions on the boardwalk, with a smaller room, smaller beds, and trashier guests.

The beds were double beds, not queen sized, there was no hot water, and the owner harassed us for hours the night we stayed, trying to kick out our friends that were hanging out at the hotel and coming by the room numerous times to make sure we didn’t have extra guests. We didn’t know who he was and thought he was some drunk/crazy Russian guy before figuring out he owned or worked at the hotel. When we complained in the morning about the lack of hot water, the owner said, “You should have told me earlier” and did not agree to our request for a partial refund. This place might have been acceptable if it was $70 a night, but not having hot water is unacceptable. This is American, not some third world [--].

Stay anywhere else other than The Islander! As I said, it may be the worst beach hotel on the East Coast. The only reason we sucked it up and rented a room was because we arrived late at the beach after hours of traffic and wanted to get into the water before sunset, and we didn't have time to check prices at every hotel. I KNOW we could have found a better hotel for a lower price (with hot water to boot).

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank miknugget

Reviewed 29 June 2009

I really don't have anything good to say about & I wish I would have read the reviews before I booked it! My biggest complaint were the bugs in the bathroom & in the tub! The sink in the bathroom was clogged & took a long time for the water to go down...GROSS!! The mattress was not very comfortable & I woke up to an achey back. Oh yeah, I almost fogot..we didn't get room service because they forgot to give us a card to hang on the door knob that requests service. I did go down to the office & explained the situation & after much debate he did say he would bring me some towels. I told him I needed 4. He brought me 4 towels & 2 wash clothes. It was the same wasy when we checked in(only 4 towels,2 wash clothes). The only nice thing I have to say about the place was that the pool was well maintained .

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank red235
Reviewed 13 June 2009

The place is looking better every year i come there . I love the potted plants around the pool , it makes a big difference ,looks beautiful. The place loook very nice decks are getting painted ,new desk , tabels in rooms . Cant wait to see whats new next time. Thank you for a great stay , Will be back soon L isa

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2009

my boyfriend and i went down to the beach with two other of our close friends looking to have i relaxing vacation, but that was not the case when we stayed her. when we first arrived at the hotel we were treated to an awful odor that we soon discovered was come form the stove. as we got use to the smell we noticed holes all over the wall. the light in the bathroom didn't work the tv didn't have a remote. an the plates and other kitchen supplies that we paid for were nowhere to be found. after we got over all that we started to notice that we were being watched like we were doing something wrong. our friends came up to grab a sweatshirt and were immediately kick out and quickly told not to return.but what we couldn't understand is the young kids to blare music at 8 o'clock in the morning and nothing be done about it. the night guard came up to our room twice once while we were in bed sleeping and insisted to come in so we let him in and he insisted on yelling at us for i guess sleeping to hard.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank hotlion18a
Reviewed 9 June 2009

My grown children had called me earlier that morning to invite me to a get a way to enjoy on a Saturday night until Sunday afternoon. Since every other Hotel had a 2 night minimum, my husband and I drove around looking for a place to stay overnight. BAD DECISION to Stop Here!!!!!! The Staff started off nice offering us the opportunity to keep our vehicles parked there while we went to the Beach the next day and even offered to let us take a shower when we returned from the Beach (even though we would have checked out by 11 am). Anyway, I did check out the room and notice that there was a FOUL, MUSTY, MILDEWY, MOLDY ODER to the room (even though my nose was stuffy). My daughter, however who also has allergies IMMEDIATELY begin to start sneezing, eyes watering and itching once she entered the room. When I brought this to their attention another room was offered, BUT there was NO Change in the Horrible/Terrible Oder and we asked for a refund. We were told that there was No Refunds and that it was not his problem that my daughter has allergies. We then went to the Super Fresh to get candles and Frebreeze hoping that we could make due, but it did not help at all. At 11:30 p.m. the staff came by the room to advise us that the other family members that were visiting had to leave. (Oh, by the way, I'm 43 years old and my youngest 20) At this point we had had ENOUGH!!!! We returned the key and went to The Admiral were we had other family members staying and got a room there. I would not reccommend this DUMP to anyone and don't understand WHY and HOW are they still in business????? Well, I am definitely working on that!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank colatherealthang
Reviewed 8 June 2009

All I can say is STAY AWAY. My friends and I stayed for senior week this year. It was the worst place I have ever stayed in my life. When we got there we all paid seperate. Some how 100 dollars came up missing. The woman had made change with money that she did not put in the system. She accused us of lying and stealing from each other. I suppose since none of us were older than 18 she thought we were dumb, which the man who owns it did call us dumb. The woman there ended with a statement' "God will judge you." They finally credited the 100 dollars because she realized that she was wrong only after we threatened to call the police. Once we got in our rooms it was all down hill from there. We were hit in the face with a awful smell of must. After having our shoes off for 5 min on that carpet our feet were black. There were toenails on the carpet and pubic hairs in the "gas station" looking bathroom. It was disgusting. Not to mention are kitchen area.. We were given 2 forks, a knife, and instant bug killer. A few pots and pans, which were dirty and we refused to use. The man owner never slept. Our friends who stayed in a different motel came over to pick one of us up and sure enough it was after 10pm and he charged us sixty dollars. He was crazy and I would NEVER reccomend this dump to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank oomgitzsara
Reviewed 11 May 2009

I thought when I booked this hotel, I was getting a great deal!!! We were sorely disappointed when we were given a closet of a room. The "large double bed" was the size of a single with a matress about 4 inches thick---it was liking sleeping on a rock. The fire detector wires had been cut---God forbid the hotel caught on fire, we probably wouldn't know about it. Our TV did not have an on or off button---you had to plug it in to "turn it on" and unplug it to "turn it off". There was only one channel. When we complained, the night manager said with a smile "no refunds!" amd instructed us we should have examined the fire detector and the television first. Sorry, I guess we just thought it was the hotel's job to make sure the room was ready for a paying customer....We ended up paying for two nights and only staying for one....Do not stay at the Islander Motel----it is not worth it!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple