“Where do I start?....EWWWWW”
Review of The Islander Motel

and 1 more site!
The Islander Motel
Ranked #97 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I read online that this place was a dump....though my Husband insisted we stay there...because it was only $99 a night...Well you get what you pay for...
So upon arrival we got two keys...one of which broke the first time we used it!
The fridge and TV weren't plugged in, so we put our box Capri Sun into a warm fridge for starters...the floor felt damp and the room stunk of wet, old wood paneling. Gross....the mattresses were jail cell thin, though pretty comfy after a long day walking. Although I felt like I needed a haz-mat suit to crawl into.
Now the nastiest part-the bathroom....OMG!
The sink was falling off the wall, there were grout issues, cracks in the walls, water damage on the ceiling, rust stains...I mean come on?....This was worse than my college apartment! I went swimming in the evening and there was hair and leaves and bugs in the pool...Nasty....the kicker was after I got done swimming I went to our room to take a shower, only to find that the water was FREEZING....not once but twice we had to tell them about the COLD water. They called for a plumber to fix the issue, though it totally interrupted that evening as far as getting ready goes. BTW, they did give us a second key saying "try not to break this one, I know it wasn't your fault, it's the only other one we have."
For the safety and well-being of you and your family Do Not....stay at this dump....listen to the other reviews and save yourselves a weekend of Hell...My suggestion if you do find the "charm" of a "beach motel" bring air fresheners, Lysol, your own TP, your own pillows and don't forget to ask them for the remote!...we found out at the END of our stay that we have to ASK for the remote...really?!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrsKerstetter09
There are newer reviews for The Islander Motel

Reviewed 26 March 2010

Stay as far away from this dump as you can. The pool gave me a very bad UTI i was in the hospital 2 days after the stay. My dr told me never to go there again as if I would. The beach was GREAT and the food was out of this world but the hotel SUCKED.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mf21hall
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Don't be fooled, this place is a dump. We were hit in the face by the foul smell of mold/mildew as soon as we opened the door. The carpet was so FILTHY that we had to go and buy flip flops to wear while we were in the room because our feet turned black!! The shower head only had about 7 holes for the water to flow trough. The guy came and checked it out and said that it was working ok......ok, if your idea of a shower is to slap some vodka under your pits..... which is what he smelled like. We had to use a square ice bucket in the shower so we could wash and rinse our hair. I had to rinse the kids bathing suits out in the fountain outside by the pool, since there was no water pressure in the sink either. If given a choice between staying at this dump or sleeping in my car.....I honestly would prefer to sleep in my car......my car is a whole lot cleaner. Don't let the pictures on the brochure fool you, this place is a first class DUMP!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank imjustanotherday
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We were very happy with our stay in this motel; I don't understand all the other bad reviews. We stayed for 6 days/nights while on a family vacation in July 09. The room was very clean; the sheets were crisp clean everyday, beds were comfortable and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Complimentary coffee was available all day at the front desk and the room had a small kitchen area (stove, pots & pans, refrigerator, dishes & cups) which makes this a great value for families. Terrific location, easy to be on the boardwalk or beach within minutes. The outdoor pool was great, we would see a staff member staying by the pool all day checking out and making sure everything was perfect, he would even pick up stuff from the ground that kids would drop here and there. Our experience was not the same as everyone else complaining here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank albabebe39
Reviewed 27 July 2009

I had a wonderful time at the Islander. The rooms were very clean and the room service was great they came in everyday and made the room look and feel great. The room included a small kitchen area which saved us money as an alternative for eating our for every meal. The AC worked great and the room was nice and cool the whole time we were there. The owners and staff were very friendly and accomidating. The location of the hotel was great a one minute walk from the beach and boardwalk and other places that were essential to a comfortable stay like convience stores and tourist attractions. I loved my stay here and would not only go back but also recommend it to anyone else. the price was very affordable and the quality of my stay was terrific!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank pinkspider92
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Do not stay at this hotel if you can get a room anywhere else. This is possibly the worst beach hotel I’ve ever stayed at on the East Coast. The hotel I usually stay at in Ocean City was full, as were some other options, but this place had vacancies. Now I know why. The first issue with the hotel was the price. Had the other hotel I wanted to stay at not been fully booked, I could have stayed there for $120-160 a night. Instead I paid $210 for one night, at this [--] hotel that was farther from the beach (about 4-5 blocks from the boardwalk), farther from the attractions on the boardwalk, with a smaller room, smaller beds, and trashier guests.

The beds were double beds, not queen sized, there was no hot water, and the owner harassed us for hours the night we stayed, trying to kick out our friends that were hanging out at the hotel and coming by the room numerous times to make sure we didn’t have extra guests. We didn’t know who he was and thought he was some drunk/crazy Russian guy before figuring out he owned or worked at the hotel. When we complained in the morning about the lack of hot water, the owner said, “You should have told me earlier” and did not agree to our request for a partial refund. This place might have been acceptable if it was $70 a night, but not having hot water is unacceptable. This is American, not some third world [--].

Stay anywhere else other than The Islander! As I said, it may be the worst beach hotel on the East Coast. The only reason we sucked it up and rented a room was because we arrived late at the beach after hours of traffic and wanted to get into the water before sunset, and we didn't have time to check prices at every hotel. I KNOW we could have found a better hotel for a lower price (with hot water to boot).

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank miknugget
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I really don't have anything good to say about & I wish I would have read the reviews before I booked it! My biggest complaint were the bugs in the bathroom & in the tub! The sink in the bathroom was clogged & took a long time for the water to go down...GROSS!! The mattress was not very comfortable & I woke up to an achey back. Oh yeah, I almost fogot..we didn't get room service because they forgot to give us a card to hang on the door knob that requests service. I did go down to the office & explained the situation & after much debate he did say he would bring me some towels. I told him I needed 4. He brought me 4 towels & 2 wash clothes. It was the same wasy when we checked in(only 4 towels,2 wash clothes). The only nice thing I have to say about the place was that the pool was well maintained .

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family