“Bring your 4 legged best friend!”

Safari Motel Boardwalk
Ranked #50 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 14 July 2013

It's a shame that they do not allow you to walk your dog on the Boardwalk, our yorkie would have loved it. It's a $25 fine if you have your dog on the beach or Boardwalk - FYI.

Here is my summary and list of pros & cons for my 2 night stay:

PROS
- ON the Boardwalk (the beach is literally 30 steps away across the boardwalk)
- Pet friendly! $15/nt extra
- Free parking/wifi
(BUT, wifi kept cutting off and I had to ask the manager to reset the wifi about 7xs)
- Vacancy
- Old school keys (I cannot remember the last time I checked into a hotel and literally had a KEY that goes in a lock - see pictures)
- He gave us a late checkout (12pm)
- Maids were very friendly and helpful
- Rinse off hose aside of hotel for guest
- Free coffee in lobby
- 2nd floor & 3rd floor balcony views

CONS
- Rooms were small and cramped, especially the bathroom
- The toilet is positioned in front of the bathroom door, WRONG PLACING!
- NO HOT WATER. After about 3 minutes of showering it would get colder & colder
- Checkout time is lame - the norm is 12pm for most hotels & resorts
- [to me] Over priced - $179.99/week nt, $199.99/wknd nt (in July)
- No microwave in room (they let me heat up dog food in the break room tho!)
- Basic cable and tiny TV

Hopefully the Safari hotel makes some adjustment. Then I can come back a give them 5/5...

Room Tip: 1st floor was quiet :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank stonegyrl

Reviewed 12 July 2013

First of all, I will start with the negative. The rooms are a bit small. They have two queen size beds and are a bit cramped. But since you're on the boardwalk in Ocean City, you shouldn't really be spending too much time in the room in any case. Also, the rooms have a small fridge which is nice, but no microwave. That would make them better. Now the positive. The staff keeps the hotel spotless. My family had two rooms and both the rooms themselves and bathrooms were spotlessly clean and although the decor is pure 1960s beach motel - which I loved - everything looked fresh and new; paint, carpet, bathroom tile, etc. The staff was also friendly, relaxed and helpful.

Since they allow dogs and I'm not a dog person, I was a little concerned about that. It turned out to be a non-issue. The dog rooms on the lower floors and we were on the fourth. We never heard a bark at night or any other time. In fact, the walls appear to be pretty thick as my kids were right next door and I never head any sound coming from their room either.

The location is perfect in my view, right on the boardwalk, a little removed from the hubbub and crush farther down the boards but not so far removed is to require too much walking to go down to the end. Just north of the Safari is the Beach Plaza Hotel with its big porch and rocking chairs. Just south are three old-style wood frame beach houses. So what you have got is a little one block slice of old Ocean City with the Safari in the middle. I love that. It's what I grew up with and I find those big condos that have popped up all over the place annoying. I'm glad places like the Safari, Beach Plaza, Majestic, etc are still around and it's a pleasure to see the Safari so well maintained. Would definitely recommend to anyone on a budget or not looking for spacious luxury or private balcony, just a nice traditional, comfortable stay on the boards in OC

Room Tip: As you can tell from the picture, there are no rooms that face the ocean directly. Rooms on the th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 322marke
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We decided to take a family vacation and when I say "family" I mean the dog too! So I chose this motel based on the fact that they welcome dogs and not many do.
I have very mixed emotions about this motel. It's wasn't bad but it also wasn't great. I think the value is good. Great location right at the beginning of the boardwalk and just steps away from the beach. Lots of options for food within walking distance.
The rooms were very clean. They had about 5 cleaning ladies to every one room. They cleaned every nook and cranny morning, noon and night. We asked to not have maid service because I didn't know how the dog would react when we were away and they respected that and left us clean towels by the door. As for the motel itself, it could use a little updating.
Pet friendly rooms are located on the bottom floor.Small, but did fit a large crate for the dog. 2 double beds. Old school tv. No channels and hardly any lighting. Also we could never open our blinds because we faced the road by the boardwalk where people passed by all day and night. The rooms were a little depressing and we had to go back often to check on the dog, since he is not allowed on the beach or the boardwalk. Assateague island is 15 minutes away and the dogs are allowed there. That was a fun day! Shared the beach with wild ponies!
Also I didn't really feel the "friendliness" for pets in this motel. There is no place to walk the dogs that are grassy. Lots of open parking lots. I also thought it would be a nice touch to offer some dog treats. They do offer free coffee all day for patrons why not offer cookies for the dogs.
Also it was loud. Techno music played till about midnight. Pretty sure it was coming from the store that is located right in front of the building. The first night I was about to complain because I thought someone was throwing a loud party but after the 2nd night I realized that wasn't the case and just dealt with it. Dogs also barking all day and walls are paper thin.
Like I said its a good value. But when you search hotels in ocean city Md there are about 600 to choose from. I would only choose this one again if I was taking my dog along for vacation.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We bookec s last minute trip to Ocean City, including our two dogs. We usually stay further north, but pet friendliness was limited, so we took a chance on staying on the boardwalk at the Safari and are so happy we did! The staff was super accomodating and it was very quiet for being both dog friendly and on the boardwalk. The location was ideal with having children for getting meals and such. The only cons to the whole trip would have to be there were only about 5 tv channels to watch, so if you are someone that that is important to you might be disappointed. Also for being pet friendly there really is no area to walk your dog. We had to get a little creative! But all in all a great expierience; we would definitely stay again.

2  Thank alliemmiemom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Safari motel is the best kept secret in where to stay in OCMD. Great room rates for the location!! The location on the boardwalk is perfect. The owners and staff go above and beyond to make your stay wonderful. The rooms are so clean and neat. Everyone is so friendly and greets you with a warm and welcoming smile as soon as you arrive. There is free fresh coffee and tea in the lobby daily! They are very helpful in providing directions and recommendations to all the local hot spots and restaurants.
Definitely will stay here again. Thanks for a wonderful and comfortable stay! JG

2  Thank Jgolden31
Reviewed 30 May 2013

My friends and I went to OC as a spontaneous trip. We called Safari and booked a one bedroom, 2 bed room. Upon arrival (8 hours later) the man behind the desk seemed to have "lost our room" for a moment. He said he wasn't expecting us.

We got our room and it was CLEAN! I could not find a single thing wrong with the room, beds, or bathroom. We all got changed and hit the beach/boardwalk for the day.

I've seen on the reviews last year that they did not allow guest and we put the rumor to the test and brought back some "guest" and they didn't have a problem with it. We walked right pass the man at the desk smiled and said hello and he returned the friendly gesture.

That night I did notice that a man did pace the hallways like he was doing surveillance which I found was very peculiar. But its i'm sure they have had some experiences in the past to make them do such rotations.

We did not spend a whole lot of time in the motel but our stay was pretty pleasant.

Treat the staff friendly, be kind and you shall receive the same.

Room Tip: The website said it was an ocean front with a view.. it sadly only has public balconies that you mus...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mat0295
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

Older decor, but very clean room. Sheets and pillow cases clean and enough of a bleach smell to make me happy. One of only a few that allow dogs, so I was hesitant. No need to be. Our room had large tile instead of carpet so no worry of fleas. Employees all very nice, friendly, and helpful. Bottom line for me is cleanliness. I will stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013