“Great experience - Except for the $1,500 damage to my car.”
Review of Maridel Motel

and 1 more site!
Maridel Motel
Ranked #47 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Columbus, Ohio
“Great experience - Except for the $1,500 damage to my car.”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My love and I took the top floor suite for an overnight stay. Although the Maridel is chock full of vintage era furnishings our experience was that it was clean and comfortable, but quite possibly in a crime strewn area that may require more detail, security, and safe procedure for their guest's parking area.
Most disappointing was the owner's, Nancy and Paul, lack of attention to the destruction of our 1994 Fleetwood Brougham while parked on their property where Paul had directed us to park. "You can just leave it parked in front there since you are just staying the night", Paul said the day we checked in. Little did we suspect that the area was so dangerous. Had we known we would have parked our car in the secured lot with the rest of the guest's vehicles.
Things happen in life and business. I am a business man. I know. I also know when a little common courtesy and at least an acknowledgment of how a patron's misfortune while being served by a business can go a long way toward's good relations and a better rating then what I am giving this motel. There was no offer of compensation for the damages to our beautiful classic car. No offer to compensate us for being up until 4AM cleaning glass out of our car at a distant 24hour Walmart so we could tape up the gaping hole in the back of our car where the window was - rain was forcasted for the day! There was no acknowledgment of their responsibility in directing us to park our car at the front of the motel exposed to pedestrian traffic. There was not even a simple 'sorry' offered up by Nancie as we checked out or by Paul as he zoomed past us with his head down like he didn't see us. Really??
Is it the Mariel's fault our car was damaged? Yes, I believe so. They know their neighborhood. Yet they directed us to park it in an exposed area. We did not have damage insurance on our car and these repairs; our return trip to Worcester County courts on Dec 4th to try to collect from the culprit Nicholas M Maher; our stay at another motel for that trip and the fuel will be out of our pocket. Some sort of acknowledgement and compensation would have been appropriate.
Too bad the management of the Maridel is so poor. The old motel itself is suffering for it.

Room Tip: Top floor suite is like stepping back into the 1950's, but clean.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 1fJef

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Mount Airy, Maryland
Reviewed 22 August 2012

When we arrived, we tried to check in an hour early and they were happy to give us our room early. The check in went smoothly and quickly. When we got to our rooms we noticed that the room was outdated, but clean. We checked the sheets for bugs and stains and found none. The air conditioner worked good, as well as the microwave and refridgerator. We did notice that behind the curtains is a bar to hang towels or bathing suits and it smelled a little over there, but nothing noticeable if not standing back there. The bathroom was small and the shower was a little dirty, but nothing too unbearable. I also want to note that they do not include any extras, just the bare necessties, as far as toiletries--they only provide the towels, plastic cup and a few bars of soap, but nothing more. Inside the room, we could not hear any loud talking or televisions. Good location for convention center and other restaurants. For the money, this motel is a great place to stay! If you are visiting OC on a budget like we were, stay here!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank gregMt_Airy_Md
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2012

The housekeeping staff kept the place very clean.None of the usual horror stories of places not having hot water,or black hairs in the shower.The air conditioner worked great.It was everything I expected for what I paid and it was clean.If your looking for the Ritz this isn't it BUT if you want a cool,clean room for a great price,this is it.Very quiet too!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Misty A
Elkton
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband and I brought a friend down with us a few years ago and we stayed at this motel. We found it to be very clean and the people were very friendly. So when my sisters family and I wanted to come down again I suggessted this motel. I called and made the reservation for 6 people, and they said ok no problem. When we came to check in the man at the desk was very rude. He asked how many people it was for and i told him and he was like "Oh that is too many people for this room blah blah blah" He argued with me about it and told me if i cancelled the reservation id have to pay the whole price of the room. Yet he didnt want al of us to stay in the room. He eventually said " if you are ok with sleeping on top of eachother idc if you stay in there" I did not appreciate his attitude and his customer service was very bad. Then when we got into the room the bathroom was very dirty the floor was dirty and we found a little baggy that looked as though it had a white substance in it. All in all....we will NOT stay there again and i will not suggest anyone else to stay there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We decided to stay at this motel based on the price of the room. It was much cheaper than mostly all of the other hotels in Ocean City. The look of the building is very old and outdated. There are power lines and power transformers right behind the building, so when you are in the pool, that is the view you have. The pool was on the smaller side, but was clean. The cushions on the pool lounge chairs were very dirty, but we just removed them. Check in went smoothly and the front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The room left a lot to be desired. It was quite small and had a bit of an odor. The carpet was very dirty and after only a few minutes of walking around on it, my daughters feet were black on the bottom. I had to wear my flip flops the whole time in the room. I also found hair one one of the bath towels that was hanging up. With all of that being said, the motel is a 5 minute walk to the beach and was priced much less than pretty much every place else in the area. Would I stay there again? No, but if you are traveling on a budget and don't mind less than good, than it is for you. I will pay the extra $100 for better accommodations next time.

Room Tip: Stay on the 1st floor as there is no elevator in the building.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank donhol27
Brentwood, Maryland
Reviewed 10 July 2011

This small motel is clean and very very close to the convention center. I am not able to walk far and I was able to walk across the parking lot to the center. If you are attending an event at the center and want to be right there this is the place for you. Very basic accomadations, nothing fancy, and a small bathroom but the people are friendly, there is a small pool and a resturant within steps of the motel that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. I would recommend this motel if you want to save money and want a clean, quiet place to stay. This was a business trip so I can't comment on access to the beach but I saw others who were coming and going daily to the beach by car. Call and ask Fred (very friendly owner) about proximity to the beach. Comfortable beds.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank threeMainCoons
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 August 2010

we have been staying at the maridel for the past ten years.Both Paul & Nancy the owners are pleasant and accommodating, they run a very clean motel ( in all ten years we have never seen a bug or stained sheets)across the street from the beach and very convenient to near by attractions and bus transportation.the kiddos love their pool,each room has a refrige,coffee maker,microwave and hairdryer. my preteen enjoyed using her newly bought laptop with their wifi in the room to keep in touch with her friends.we continue to recommend this motel to our friends & family♥

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family