“Not a nice place to stay”

Econo Lodge Oceanfront
Ranked #82 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel has no customer service and that includes the gm, the hotel is a mess. The wall paper is off the wall, the dresser drawers are broke, the air conditioner didn't work well, and the place is a mess. Oh and if you try and check in early they tell you to go change in the pool dressing room, the only problem is that I wouldn't let my dog in there it is so dirty and in 4 hours I never saw any one clean up. But the breakfast was the best. They serve so little food you would think they could keep it full but that also doesn't happen. It was suppose to be remodeled but I guess that meant a new tv and new bedding. If you are changing hotel brands, it would be nice to upgrade everything. Oh well I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bowler296

Reviewed 13 July 2014

What a waste of money! First off the older lady at the front desk was rude when we arrived, she told us our room was not ready, but we saw a housekeeper on that floor and she said it was. The oceanfront building is where we stayed, and the way you have to get your belongings in that building is awful. They supply carts for you, but then you have to go up 2 ramps that have 2 turns and it is not easy at all to maneuver it. The rooms were okay, except the beds were awful. All 3 of us had a backache when we woke up. They had sunken places in the middle of them, and you would think with this motel being renovated from a Rodeway Inn, that they would have purchased new beds. There was no screen on the patio door, therefor you could not leave the door open to hear the ocean at night. The privacy of the balcony was awful, they are semi private. If you are leaning against your railing you can see the people beside you. You can hear everyone to the left, right, above and below you opening and shutting their patio door. It gets old real quick. The carpet in the halls were filthy, the ice machine on the 2nd floor was broke, and you had to go up to the 4th level to get ice (which is crazy) get it fixed!!!! The outdoor pool was nice, but the indoor pool could have been cleaned better, it was very cloudy. The only really good thing I can say about our room was the view. It would have been nicer if we had a higher floor than the 2nd.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lvjodee
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Didn't know nor expected to be in a motel style building facing street. Photos show only the ocean front building. Otherwise did not expect a great deal more from a budget hotel. Signs of wear in room includes moldy corner of crooked refrigerator cabinet, an exposed screw on the bathroom floor and a slight sag in the ceiling tiles plus a little rust showing on some metal surfaces (common in oceanfront hotels). Breakfast selection was limited (about 1/4 of what was offered at another Econolodge I'd stayed in). Path to outdoor pool was littered with cigarette butts and other small refuse. Should have been cleaned but stayed that way for my 3 day duration.

Overall location was good, quiet with a very nice beach--did not care too much for all the hoopla at the boardwalk.

Room Tip: The added expense of an oceanfront room might have worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We just returned from the air show. We were overall pleased the ac didnt push the air out quite as much as we would like but we survived. Parking was good breakfast was basic but perfect for a hot summer day who in the world wants to eat a huge breakfast than go walk om the board walk. Not me!!! We had an ocean front room couldn't ask for a more beautiful view. My fav part was def the view. The beda were a little hard for me but I am used to my fluffy pillow top. Overall I'd say good oh and staff was excellent all were very occomidating and a couple of the house keepers hadlittle conversations with my 4 year old. :)

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank brandonswifie
Reviewed 9 June 2014

what a great experience. Starting with our room being ready early with a fantastic view of the beach. Hotel is right on the beach. Friendly staff and walked into a clean, fresh updated room. parking was included with the stay and easy drive to all areas of OC and across the street from the bus stop which was 3 bucks for riding all day. One block from the Fractured Prune Donut shop! Was with my daughter for a Sand soccer tourney and could not have asked for a more pleasant and comfortable stay. In addition the rooms had updated fridges, coffee with coffeemakers and a great balcony. Well done Econolodge!!!

Room Tip: If you like views of the Ocean, ask for Ocean view. It is like you are sitting on the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Scott S
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at the Econo Lodge Oceanfront. The hotel was recently renamed ( formerly Rodeway Inn) and renovated. We were extremely pleased with our experience on all levels! We had an ocean front room on the 5th floor, it was very clean, we felt immediately at home. A breakfast bar had been added to the ocean front building making it much easier to access than when it was the Rodeway. The staff was WONDERFUL! They went above and beyond for us. The indoor pool insures that families will still have lots of fun in the event of rain. We will revisit the Econo Lodge on all future trips to Ocean City!

Room Tip: The ocean front building is preferable even at a slightly higher price.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine C
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I do not consider myself what I call a hotel snob. You know the ones who want everything absolutely perfect but don't want to pay the price for perfection. I am staying at an Econo Lodge, not the Waldorf Astoria.

We checked in on a Friday evening and stayed for a week. Check in was fast and easy. The couple at the front desk were very friendly and we have seen them before (when it was Roadway Inn). When we booked online we asked for "as high up as is available," and we were given the center room of the 5th floor. I was a little worried as this room is right across from the elevator but I never heard the elevator ding when I was in my room (can't say the same for some of the guests though - why do some people feel they need to be loud inside - so rude).

The room is your basic mid-economy hotel. I could tell they gave us the handicapped room as the clothes rack was lower and the bathroom was huge with safety bars everywhere. But I didn't mind. The view through the balcony doors was what I wanted anyway. Besides, you are at the beach - how much time are you going to spend in your room anyway? Did you come to the beach to watch TV?? If you answered yes, then you should have saved money and stayed home. The water pressure in the shower left a lot to be desired, but we dealt with it, we got clean.

The hotel is perfectly located in a nice part of town. We like staying in this part of town as it is quieter then the other end of the boardwalk and there are a number of restaurants/bars we like to patronize within walking distance. As you may have seen from the description on the hotel's page, there are two pools, ample parking, two breakfast areas, etc. All-in-all, I will stay here again and I would recommend it to friends in a heartbeat.

The only things I wish they would change are:

1. The water pressure in the shower. Needs to be increased. Also, get rid of that trashy/crappy tub enclosure and use real tile.

2. The privacy on the balcony - there is a full privacy wall on one side and a three quarter on the other side. Full privacy on both sides would be better.

3. The patio furniture needs to be upgraded. It is just your basic plastic patio chairs and plastic table. A nice rattan set with ottomans and a table would be more comfortable to sit in while taking sunrise photos, or having breakfast while listening to the ocean. This set on amazon.com would be perfect: Strathwood All-Weather Wicker 5-Piece Furniture Set.

4. Change the upholstery on the couch - too scratchy. You could get a rug burn even without moving.

5. Mount the TV on the wall on a fully swivel bracket and add a front speaker. We had to be in the room one day because of rain and had to turn the TV up really loud to hear anything. I was worried I was bothering the couple next door.

Room Tip: Room 507 is the one we stayed in during our stay. I will attempt to get this room again when we ret...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple