“Feeling Safe!”

Surf Villa Hotel
Ranked #90 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“Feeling Safe!”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I've stayed at the Surf Villa 5 out of the 7 years I've vacationed at OC. True it's not of an up to date decor, it's of an older time! The rooms are small and the appliances are not always the best but guess what, I wouldn't stay any where else. Parking can sometimes be difficult but it's OC, parking is hard to come bye everywhere in OC. The price is fair, the location is perfect and I love the "quietness" of the place. If it didn't have a hotel sign out front you would never know that it's a hotel. There is not the constant traffic of the larger hotels and the drunken pain in the butt clientele! So, I am glad the staff turns away the unruly that would turn such a quiet place into grand central station. If your looking for a place to bring you steady girl and enjoy a quiet safe residential atmosphere then this is the place. I've never had a problem with the staff, they try their best to please and I like that. The only thing I wish they would improve would be a stronger WIFI signal, that would be nice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Flametree1949

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I have stayed at Surf Villa hotel for many years with my entire family, i love staying here. This year, being that my grandparents can no longer make the drive, I've planned the very same trip for my family & a few friends. We always stay in the 1st floor apartments. The owner Hector has always been extremely nice and respectful, the girls are so sweet as well! We always stay for a week, the place is clean, cable & free wifi, beds are comfy, the girls come in every morning & rid up... Only with your consent! Parking in back, boards & Beach can be seen out front, It's quiet, in a perfect location! Feels just like home, with the beach as your front yard! Can't wait til July, see you soon Surf Villa :)

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank ashleyhanley
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 24 January 2013

It's a wonderful, no frills, place to stay in Ocean City. I stayed there in 2011 and 2012, and will definitely be back in 2013! It's very clean and very quiet, but parking can sometimes be a problem. Close to everything, and they even have free WiFi.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Kathy V
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stayed at Surf Villa on Sunfest weekend. Rooms were hard to come by at a reasonable rate. The surf is an older building in the heart of downtown OC so don't expect much in the way of amenities. The rooms were clean, and the manager was very hospitable. All in all it wasn't too bad. I don't think I would bring the whole family though. The walls are thin and the rooms are small, but the bed was oh so comfy and the sheets were fresh. If you're just looking for a place to lay your head at night Surf Villa will do.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank princefrostydog
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I absolutely recommend you stay elsewhere in Ocean City! Though, full disclosure: I did not stay at this establishment. I refused to after a miscommunication re. hotel policy led to a totally unpleasant experience with the front desk.

My friends and I came to town for one night to see a free concert. This was a last minute road trip, so after much searching, a couple of us checked into a room at the Surf Villa while the others (all of age) purchased alcohol. As we headed to the rooms with drinks, a man at the front told us that we couldn't enter. "This is not a bar." OK, fair enough. But not only were we not permitted to bring in alcohol, but aside from the people who signed the hotel form, no one else was allowed in the room. At all.

This was a little to strict for our taste, but the checkout process was the real problem. One of the signees was not a native speaker of English, so I offered to help him talk to the man at the front desk, who after much pressing, identified himself as "Hector." Because my friend realized that he did not understand the hotel policy, I calmly asked this individual representing the Surf Villa Hotel to give us the courtesy of a refund. We had not stayed in the room and preferred to find alternative room and board. He said he could not void the signed agreement, which is understandable. But the manor in which he talked to us was HORRENDOUS! I can not stress this enough.

I was really baffled by how he conducted himself as the claimed "owner" of a hotel: He spoke condescendingly to both of us, said several contradictory things and then denied saying them 5 seconds later, refused to give a business card or his last name, threatened to call the police (which I was absolutely fine with since we had done nothing wrong) but never picked up the phone. It was the most bizarre experience I've had in Ocean City. And I've visited several times over the years.

By the end of our exchange, I told the alleged owner that I would be writing this review and he replied that he did not care, which I think pretty much sums up his regard for guests staying at the Surf Villa Hotel. Please DO NOT patronize an establishment with staff members that lack the interpersonal skills needed for the hospitality industry.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank S Y

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

DC
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Nice! We enjoyed our last minute reservation here for Bike Week weekend. We only stayed one night in a 1 room, 2 dbl bed room, but for it being bike week, this was an incredibly quiet location. Our room was upstairs on the second floor towards the rear of the building. We were happy. Staff is super helpful & was constantly around.

Though our room was small, I know wthat if we reserved earlier we could've gotten something with more space.

There's a small common kitchen open to all & what a nice surprise--a box of donuts waiting to greet guests really early in the morning! Walking in the main lobby was so neat. It's quaint & you can kinda forget you're supposed to be partying at the beach.

From the very generously sized front porch that we shared a few times with other guests, you can see & hear all the OC fun which is neat.

Parking for us was a breeze since the owners kindly set up a "motorcycle only" section in the rear of the hotel--NICE!

Overall, no complaints. This is not high end luxury, it's reminiscent of old ocean city--this place is from the 20's folks. But I enjoyed the fact that we got the best of both worlds, working amenities, and friendly staff who were keeping the place clean. Bedding was comfy, room temperature was great.

I'd highly recommend this location & the staff were truly very, very nice. Take this for what it is. It is much more like an inn than any hotel, but there is nothing wrong with that if you know this is what to expect. We moved around quietly so as not to disturb other guests because the character of the house even gives you creaking (smile) so you feel like you're at your family home.

Room Tip: At least for us, their towels are sort of old, bath soap supplied was low end, no plastic drinking c...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kimmiebrite
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I love this little hotel in Ocean City, Md. I have traveled the world & been in countries & hotel rooms that were definitely different. My big three for hotel rooms are safety, cleanliness, & staff.

I grew up coming down to the beaches here with my parents, always having a weeklong rental. Looking for a place to stay that I felt safe, had a decent room, & affordable price I found the surf villa! I mean don't expect a brand new hotel room where you'll be paying several hundred a night, but if you want a nice decent place with pleasant staff. I highly recommend staying here.

I have been staying here for several summers & i always recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends