“Not the family-friendly hotel you think it is...”
Review of Sea Bay Hotel

Sea Bay Hotel
Ranked #37 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“Not the family-friendly hotel you think it is...”
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

1) This is NOT a family friendly place. Groups of teens - younger 20 year olds descended on this hotel, unloading cases upon cases of beer and funnels and carrying into hotel. It turned into party central. People coming back at 2:30 am and screaming, not fun.
2) Wifi is HORRIBLE, so very slow.
3) The pool is tiny for a hotel of this size, the pool in the west building is so small, it's almost comical. The above-mentioned younger crew were drinking around the pool (not what I want to expose my children to)
4) This may be a non-smoking hotel but people smoke so much on the balconies that we could not open our door or sit outside. Plus, many smokers were lighting up around the pool. As a parent with asthma, with asthmatic kids, this is totally unacceptable.
5) Sea Bay Cafe is nice and has great service.
6) Most of the staff at this hotel are nice and friendly but if it's overrun with partying young kids, this is not where I want to be with my family.
7) The room we had was a decent size but have to say the mattresses were pretty uncomfortable.
8) The carpet is downright disgusting in the room, it feels like it needs a very good cleaning.
9) On many occasions when I approached the front desk, no one was out front, they were in the office and it was hard for them to see customers at the desk.
10) We did get a good deal but I would rather pay $20-30 more per night to not deal with the party crowd.
Bottom line, if you're a young 20 year old, this is the place for you but I would look elsewhere before I brought my kids back to this place.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Twinsmommy627
jiminoc, Owner at Sea Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear guest. It is difficult to screen every guest in our hotel. If guest pays the rate, they are entitled to stay with us. Just like every resort town, we also have to deal with those that simply want to party. We are a family-friendly hotel, and we want our younger guests to have fun as well. When a guest disturbs another guest, and we find out about it, we warn the guest. We spend a lot of money on security people, and take pride in protecting the comfort of all of our guests. We will not hesitate to evict our young guests when they are warned and continue to disturb others. Again I apologize for this, and do wish you would give us another opportunity in the future. Thank you for your comments.
jim@seabayhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The staff was very friendly, it was quiet at night and there is free coffee. The location is good if you like the bars/restaurants around Fager's Island area. Unfortunately, our sheets had a stain and weren't changed after 2 nights, which was relatively gross. The towels were uncomfortable. Also, there were multiple strands of someone else's hair on the blanket. In the past I didn't have a problem with cleanliness at this hotel and the price was great, but I will admit this experience was a turn off.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank acharmcitychick
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I have to admit that for a last minute low cost hotel the week before the kids went back to school I was not expecting much. I was shocked at how nice and spacious the room was. It was the 4 of us and we were comfortable. It was clean and everyone was so nice. They have 2 buildings and each building has it's own pool. Can't get much better then that. Short walk to the beach and restaurants. They have a restaurant/cafe onsite and next door is a really good restaurant with all you can eat breakfast. I will say that we will be back again soon!!'

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Hagouridis
jiminoc, Owner at Sea Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you visiting Ocean City and for staying with us. We are a family-friendly hotel, and work hard to maintain that reputation. We are a family-owned and operated hotel, and while we appreciate all of our guests, we expect all guests to respect the comfort and privacy of all other guests. You are so glad you had a great stay, and hope you will stay with us again very soon. We are proud of our staff, and the work they do in order to make our guests comfortable. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
jim@seabayhotel,com
Timonium, Maryland
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I would not stay at this hotel again. I worked in a hotel for 3 years so I am usually pretty understanding but I could not justify paying 300+ a night for a place like this EVER again, even in Ocean City peak season. Cleanliness is everything to me. I don't know if it was because we were in the back building which looked to be older, but our room was not clean at all. Very disappointed with what we got for what we paid. Here is why:

-My boyfriend was barefoot in the room and after 15 minutes, the bottom of his feet were black (I was sure to keep my flip flops on at all times).
-There was a weird big brown stain on the side of the mattress in our room.
-The curtain broke off of the top of the window right when we tried to use it.
-Housekeeping did not clean our room the second day or come by to even replace our towels or take our trash. Why?
-There were people having sex in the pool (although not the hotel's fault, but still, ew).
-Overall dingy, dark, AC fluid-smelling, outdated room. Although if it had been clean, I wouldn't care that everything was so outdated.

The ONLY thing the Sea Bay Hotel has going for it is its fantastic location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lexi A
jiminoc, Owner at Sea Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Your review was extremely disappointing. I am very sorry for your poor experience with us. You did stay in our West Building and while it is a few years older than our East (or Main) Building, we do try and keep it very clean. Not sure what you experienced with "black stuff" on your feet? I check a lot of the rooms personally and this is a shocker to me. We have an excellent housekeeping staff, and they normally do a very good job. I would hope you would have immediately called this to a manager's attention while you were here? If so, I would like to know to whom you spoke with and what did they do to make your stay more comfortable.
Thank you.
Jim@seabayhotel.com
Scotch Plains
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Another great golf vacation, Sea Bay staff makes you feel welcome & go out of their way to assist your every needs. We have been staying here for past several years & will be returning again next year. While the whole staff is great, Aubrey (who does our golf package) & Shelley (who manages the front desk) continue to exceed our expectations. The facility & golf packages are great all we had to do was show up all else was already taken care of. The hotel is in a great location on Coastal Highway & close to ocean & bay & good dining as well as close to many great golf courses and the famous boardwalk.. We are already planning next years return visit

Room Tip: Rooms poleside may be quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bobnrhoda
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is the third year in a row we have stayed at the Sea Bay. Once again we were very pleased and we had a great week. Except for one day of rain, we totally enjoyed ourselves. The rooms are clean and spacious as well as the bathrooms. The location is perfect for us, it's right in the middle of town. We usually request a room facing the Ocean City Tennis Center as I play tennis and find it relaxing to sit on the balcony and watch tennis as I'm checking my email. Unfortunately the view from our room was obstructed by a big tree. I refused to let it put a damper on things, since the view was great anyway. Looking forward to visiting again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Harvlom
Springfield, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Every year we spend time in Ocean City, MD to be with our grandchildren while they are on vacation. This year we chose Sea Bay Hotel because it was located close to where they stay with their Mom & Dad. My husband & I both thought the location was ideal for many reasons! The hotel itself was really nice...not top notch, but very clean and comfortable. Staff was more than accommodating! They also have a cafe available for breakfast and lunch! The private balconies are great and so it the parking! We will definitely stay there again for sure!

Room Tip: We stayed in the east building, but if you want a view of the bay you would prefer the west building...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family