“Renovations?? Are you kidding me??”

Princess Royale Resort
Ranked #3 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 3 September 2008

I love to read the manager's response that they "renovated" some of their rooms. We were in one of the "renovated" suites, #371. Great sized room, great view, free parking, so so beds but you have to be kidding me... Putting granite tops on everything in the room (dresser, bathroom, kitchen, end tables, coffee tables) is not renovation...Okay I'll give them there is a nice new TV in the bedroom too and a new lamp with a strangely colored light bulb, but What about fixing the toilet paper holder coming out of the wall? What about replacing that horribly dirty carpet in the hallways and on the elevator? What about actually updating the curtains, carpet, bedspreads in the room? What about that nasty couch that has seen better days? And don't get me started on the strange smells in the hallway....
This resort has a long way to go before they can claim it's "renovated".

It's a shame that this hotel hasn't kept up with the times... it was so nice , in the early 90s when mirrors on the wall and tube lights on the ceiling were fancy.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
PrincessRoyale, Administrative Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2008

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with our renovations. Previously all suites received new carpeting and wall vinyl as well as the VERY popular Temper-pedic mattresses. This past spring ALL 310 suites received ALL NEW FURNITURE, granite kitchen table and counter, granite bathroom vanity, all new 250 thread count linen, all new terry, all new micro-gel pillows, all new art work, all new lighting and more. With all due respect, that is a quite a renovation! A vast majority of our guests have been very pleased and have commented as such. In addition, this coming winter we plan on remodeling our two and three bedroom condos as well.

Again, I am sorry you were not pleased but certainly hope that on your next visit to Ocean City that your accommodations and service exceed your every expectation.

Reviewed 29 August 2008

What a great Hotel. Beautiful. I've stayed there many times and this year was outstanding. Room upgrades are just right. The staff is outstanding.
I didn't make it to the Princess last summer and I forgot how much I like staying there. A perfect end to our summer.

3  Thank CentralPa_CoffeeMan
PrincessRoyale, Administrative Asst at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2008

Thank you very much for your comments and taking the time to post your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Ocean City!

Princes Royale

Reviewed 28 August 2008

While searching for accomodations in OCMD for a girl-friend getaway, we were looking for something affordable, with a good location (close to beach and some evening hot-spots) but wanted to stray from the boardwalk and all it's chaos. The Princess Royale had mixed reviews, but appeared to be getting better and better as the season bore on.

Walking into the hotel I was immediatley welcomed back to 1992. The carpets were worn and fadded, icicle-like gold chandelier's hung from the ceilings and the typical luxaries of even a motel 6 I didn't find evident.

As a business traveler I've seen a fair trade of various accomdations, but the Princess really did not play up to my expectations. Then again, this is a hotel in a seasonal town.

The locals love OCMD and all it has to offer. I, personally, find it a mix between family and children, too many all you can eat buffett's, and a crowd that perhaps would be perfectly content with the dangerously slow and shifty elevator at the Princess, the warm indoor poor you just KNOW is filthy with children's pee, and service that does not make any acceptions to making your stay as pleasurable as possible.

The highlights:
Great temperpedic beds, an outdoor bar that has live music around 1 in the afternoon that you can hear on the beach, a decent location (across from bus stop!) and although not great, probably beats out half the motel-ish dives lining main drag offering small dirty rooms for the same price. The Princess offers all Suites which are all decently sized many of which have balconies (do not recommend staying in the rooms who's balconies face indoors - toward the pool. You will be awakened by children playing in pool and videogames).

Would I recommend or stay again, NO, but was it soooo terrible, not in the least.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We have worked very hard and at great expense to renovate the property and are receiving wonderful and frequent comments from the vast majority of our guests. At least daily I hear that it "does not look like the same suite". Therefore, I am at a loss as to postings that seem to reflect the property has not been kept up as nothing could be further from the truth.

Our new virtual tour on our web site was just filmed in May of 2008 and we will allow that to speak for itself.

I am sorry your every expectation was not exceeded.

Reviewed 27 August 2008

GREAT PLACE!!! Kids had a BLAST and wife loved the location. Didn't need to carry cooler, chairs, umbrella, ect. across busy Costal Hwy. like we did last year (to the beach). Ocean view room was perfect. We have a great pic of my daughter (5) and I sitting in the same chair and lovingly looking into the moon light
ocean......Room was huge, big enough for the 5 of us and beds were super comfy. 2 huge TV's in the room were perfect for kids and parents. Reception desk staff are freindly and housekeeping staff on the floors are VERY responsive. Kids LOVED the indoor pool...so did this Dad....LOL

One last thing I certainly need to say...DIANE ANDERSON you are the best!!! You helped us soooo much before we arrived and even went above and beyond our expectations during our stay. Management should certainly ensure the Board knows how valuable you are to the Princess Royale and their guests. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet but I just wanted to take this moment to thank you on behalf of my entire family....IT WAS A GREAT VACATION!!!!!!!!

2  Thank Buggin0108

Thank you for your posting! I very much appreciate your comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit to Ocean City and I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you at the beach again soon!

Reviewed 26 August 2008

Everything was great for the first couple of days. When we arrived, our room was ready, the front desk and personnel were friendly, and the room was clean. We had an oceanview room and the way that the balcony was angled we could see the ocean and the bay very nicely. Cheap plastic furniture on the balcony, yes, but more than adequate, and I would rather have inexpensive furniture on the balcony and have a nice room and cheaper rates. We arrived on Sunday and our room was serviced very nicely on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, our teenage girls were in the room and when asked by the staff if it needed serviced, they told them just the bathroom, since they were having lunch. Housekeeping (I hope that is the correct terminology) took the old towels and the bath mat, handed my children the new towels with no bath mat and left a toilet paper roll empty. I will not complain about anything else on this day, like lack of coffee, because my children were in the room. On Thursday we were away from the room most of the day. When my husband came in from the beach for a late lunch, the dirty towels were still in the bathroom......the clean towels were laying on the bathroom floor, no new washcloths or hand towels, just bath towels on the floor.....the new roll of toilet paper was laying on the bathroom floor......nothing in the bathroom was cleaned......the suite itself had not been touched by a vacuum or anything else. All the trash cans were full. There was no coffee left for the coffeemaker. I mean, I know we were leaving the next day (Friday), but come on!!!!! This is the first time that I have stayed somewhere and received this type of service (or lack thereof) on the day before we were to checkout......I guess they don't want us to come back!!!!

• Check-in / front desk

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your concerns. I am sorry that you felt the housekeeping service was not up to our normal standards on the last day of your stay. Please note that, at any time, a call to Guest Services, would have resulted in a housekeeper being dispatched immediately to your suite to address your concerns. I very much sounds like there was a miscommunication or perhaps, as sometimes is the case, the "PRIVACY PLEASE" sign was inadvertently left on the door in which case, of course, the housekeepers can not enter. This is certainly not the service that we strive to provide every day to our valued guests as I trust was evidenced by the first several days of your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like me to investigate the matter and respond accordingly.

I apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your patronage and we hope to see you on your next visit to Ocean City!

Reviewed 25 August 2008

4 adults and 2 kids stayed in 2-bedroom condo unit #1006 for 7 days. Our first time in OC, Maryland and would return to this great family vacation spot but will likely pick another hotel or try to rent a house.
The hotel's website seemed to exaggerate the summer of 2008 renovations the resort has undergone. The furniture in the unit was definitely not new (think 1980's décor). The sofa and couch upholstery was so stained and worn-out; I had to cover them up with bed sheets so I can tolerate to sit down on them. The Temper- Pedic mattresses were present but I've slept on better beds. Micro-gel pillows, granite counters, tables, vanities - not in this unit. The plates, utensils, cups, etc. had to be re-washed as some were still dirty despite being in the cabinets. Resort conveniences were large indoor pool with recreational and video games abound, direct access to beach, restaurant and a supermarket (a block away). The hotel’s location was a bit away from the boardwalk but peaceful evenings are comforting. In the unit, the positives were a working washer and dryer, fairly spacious bathrooms and the wireless internet connection. Everything in the unit was functional except a coffee-maker and a foul-smelling garbage disposal.

Despite the comments from other guests about the non-English speaking staff, I did not encounter such level of poor service. Service was not exceptional but requests/expectations were handled within a reasonable time period. Never tried the crab buffet, in-suite dining or Schooners – there were many good restaurants nearby. The tennis courts need repairing.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
PrincessRoyale, Administrative Asst at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2008

I certainly regret if there was a misunderstanding but, again, all of our 310 ONE bedroom suites were all remodeled in late 2007 and early 2008! Our 30 two and three bedroom condo are GOING to be remodeled this upcoming winter as they has already been remodeled since once since our opening as well and are now due to their second renovation. The ONE bedroom suites currently all have new furniture, 32 inch LCD televisions, granite vanities, granite kitchen counters and tables, all new 250 thread count linens and terry, new micro gel pillows, new artwork and, of course, the Temper-pedic mattresses which everyone compliments! The NEW virtual tour on our web site was just completed in May 2008 and shows each room type and renovations can be clearly observed by room type. Please watch our web site and as the condo renovations are completed we will update the web site as well as the condo virtual tour!

Condo Mgr.

Reviewed 23 August 2008

Just return from the Princess Royale and our stay was not a very pleasant one. It started out very promising. The front desk personnel were very friendly checking us in and were very surprised that our room was ready at 3:30. Went out to unload our car and could not find a luggage cart or bell hop. When a few showed up outside the hotel I and another guest had to approach them for help and felt we were putting them out.
Our first night we stayed in a two room oceanfront suite. The room was nicely furnished and appeared clean. As other reviews stated the beds were very comfortable and linens were nice. However, the bathroom was another story. It was clean, but the towels were very rough and thin. The soap “bit” was not usable, the only one in the room was one inch square so be sure and take your own. The physical condition was tired, no remodeling in here. The balcony furniture is the cheap plastic type, felt like it was going to break at any minute.
The rest of our stay was to be spent in a condo. Once again the front desk was very helpful in the move and the condo was ready around 1 pm. This time the bell hop was very friendly in helping us move our gear. Once we arrived at the condo, we first noticed that no balcony was visible. We move a certain and there was a 5X6 (est.) balcony looking over the deck and the side looking over the ocean. When I booked this condo I was told there would be a wrap around balcony like the one on the virtual tour on their website. Just like other reviews noted we did not get what we reserved. The furniture was dirty and the living room’s only tv was a small 17 inch and the remote’s back kept falling off. The flat screen was in one of the bedrooms. The fridge’s handle was loose and felt like it would fall off at anytime and the ice maker did not work. When we went into the first bedroom we could not believe what we saw, a window looking out onto the hallway and elevator!!! It was “covered” with Venetian blinds set into the widow’s opening and did not fully cover the window. In other word you could see into the bedroom!!! We pinned up a towel to cover the window. That night we washed our clothes and the washer worked fine but the drier did not dry our cloths after 12 hours and multiple settings. There was no change in the bathroom then the suite (small soap cheap towels). In the morning I woke up with a plastic strip from a cig. Packet stuck to my side!!! That was the last straw, I wanted to go down to the front desk and discuss our options (no vacancies at other hotels). I had to wait two elevators because the staff had them filled up with maid charts then maintenance. Only one elevator services the condos.

I talked to the front desk supervisor and was told no other condo available, but we could move to a room like we had the first night. We move to this room and it was ok with the same issues as the first. As mentioned in other reviews the carpets are very worn. In this room the carpet from the bedroom to the kitchen was so worn that the tacks from the tack strip was worn through so badly I punctured my foot. When I informed clerk at checkout on inquiry in to my condition.

I would stay at this hotel again only as a last resort.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family