“Great place!”

Ranked #5 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Lancaster PA
“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

Just got home yesterday from a great overnite in OCMD & the Princess. I choose them for the indoor pool & 2 room suite since we have young children. When they went to bed we could hang out in the living room. Check in/out were quick & easy, parking was right out the front door in a covered garage and the lay out of the hotel was easy. The kids loved the huge indoor pool & we even played tennis on the rooftop. And the beach and ocean were right out the front door. The lobby, pool area, hallways, elevators, and our room were all clean & the Temp bed, as everyone has mentioned, was great. (Now we want on ourselves!) We came in contact with numerous staff in our short stay (front desk, hallways, elevators, etc.) and all were nice & professional. Overall we had a great experience at the Princess and would not hesistate to return.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank tripmonkey19
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Admin Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, 5 December 2008
Thank you for your comments! We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Ocean City!

Princess Royale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

I have vacationed at the Princess Royale on Tuesday July 15, 2008 through Sunday July 20, 2008. During my stay there was a major power outage at the hotel. On Tuesday there was no power in our room…no electricity, stove, microwave and no air conditioner. There was very little water pressure and no hot water at all. I chose this hotel from not only being a repeat guest from years ago, but also for the kitchen area. We were traveling with my son who is 1 year. We had to give him an ice cold bath, all his food in the refrigerator had to be thrown out because it was spoiled and he spent the night very overheated due to no air conditioner. The staff at the front desk were nice enough to credit us for the night and gave us hope that this situation would be resolved in the morning. The next morning, Thursday, the staff had informed us that the problems should be resolved that day. However the elevators were not working properly so we needed to walk up and down carrying our 1 year old and stroller throughout the day until the elevators were working. We also did not have use of the pool due to this outage and hotel was unable to provide us with any feeding needs for our son. Finally late in the afternoon we started to get back some of the power. At 9pm we spoke to the front desk about our air conditioner still not work and they then informed us that it had to be reset. However our room did not cool off until the next day and we spent another night with our infant sweating. Thank god by Friday everything was in working order again. This was a huge inconvenience for us especially with having an infant. Not only did he have to sleep in the heat but we had to repurchase food for him, and not having hot water to bath him or heat his bottles was a big problem as well as no lights! I am currently disputing it with my credit card b/c they keep claiming it was from 2pm Wed till 2pm on Thursday. that is not the case at all. They only want to credit for 1 night when we were terribly inconvenienced for 2 nights. Oh and they office a free night from September till March! and travel 5 hours for 1 night or give you more of my money? I don't think so!

I will never return to the hotel. the rooms are sort of nice and upated. the couch is alittle gross and the bathrooms are not that great but the room overall is good. the rest of the hotel smells and is in need of desperate updating. the restaurant was okay and crab fest was terrible and a waste of money. customer service is terrible and most of the employees are not friendly at all. The indoor pool smells but if you like the beach the beach is beautiful but you can get that at any hotel. I would spend the extra money and stay at the Holiday Inn or Hilton we saw them and they are beautiful! Feel free to e-mail me travelers for more info and I would stay away! What a shame I use to come here every year with my parents and now i come back with my own family and it turned into a dump! good luck!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank obelle2
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Administrative Assitant at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, 18 September 2008
The issue that your post is regarding was an ISOLATED incident that was clearly not within the control of the hotel; just as would be the case if you lost power in your own home. Below is a copy of the correspondence provided fully explaining the situation. Please note also that we allowed your credit card company to review the information and they closed the case in our favor based on the fact that we provided you not only with one complimentary evening for a power outage over which we had no control but, in the interest of future good will, also gave you a coupon for one complimentary future night as well. We look forward to hearing from you to reserve your free night.

Dear ***************

I am in receipt of your correspondence regarding your recent stay at our hotel and I would like to take this opportunity to respond. First, please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that you encountered. Guest satisfaction is our utmost concern and I regret that we did not exceed your every expectation.

As you are aware, we experienced an unfortunate and unprecedented event when, at 1:59pm on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 the transformer outside the hotel which provides power to the hotel failed. As would be the case in your own neighborhood, we certainly had no control nor responsibility over this incident as would be evidenced from the fleet of Delmarva Power trucks that were here until power was restored. In addition, much of the hotel management was here around the clock as well doing their best to expedite the restoration of power and doing their best to communicate with our guests and assisting them as best as possible under the circumstances with their needs.

While I understand that this unfortunate event happened during your vacation, again, the hotel could have done nothing to prevent this unfortunate situation. Regardless, we felt compelled to provide guests with options ranging from leaving by 10:00pm on Wednesday evening without charge for that day or subsequent days to providing one complimentary night for the inconvenience. As you are also aware, the power was restored prior to 2pm on Thursday; accordingly the power was out for 24 hours and, likewise, all guests who stayed received a credit for one night. It is important to note even further that a "day" for a hotel guest is not a standard 24 hour period but rather from 4pm in the evening until 11am the following morning. Please note that this is a gesture that we made knowing fully that we would not recover in any way; either from the power company or through our insurance carrier, for something that was simply beyond our control. We certainly regret the incident occurred but must, again, stress that it was beyond our control and providing one complimentary night was therefore done as a courtesy.

Also, in the interest of future good will please find enclosed a Welcome Back coupon valid for a complimentary Thursday or Sunday night off season when staying on a Friday or Saturday night. Complete details of the offer are stated on the coupon.

Again, I apologize that we did not exceed your every expectation. I trust, however, that you will not allow this isolated incident to tarnish your impression of our hotel and I sincerely hope that on your next visit to Ocean City that you will allow us to once again serve your hospitality needs.

Striving for excellence,

The Management of the Princess Royale Hotel
PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

The pictures online are nothing what you see when you get there, they are very deceiving, as the person talking to you on the telephone. We stayed for a week and during that time we had no hot water because the circulating pump was broken since mid summer. Our room was a 2 bedroom condo. The Master had only 1 be in it and they told us it would have 2, the second bedroom was ( as we called it ) the "bat cave". The balcony on the side was very tiny and scary, with these ridiculous hard metal seats, as you would fine in the lawn ornament department at LOWES. Couldn't put your butt on those. Glass mirror doors were falling off and screen had tears in them.
The upkeep in the room we stayed (904)was terrible
One of the beds broke during the night, the frame was broken.

We were very dissappointed and the manager did't do anything to get the problems taken care of and basically accused us of complaining too much for a free ride.

BEWARE BEWARE and stay away!!! of the condos

• Liked — the pool area
  • Disliked — the condo
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank annfg2
PrincessRoyale, Adminstrative Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, 13 September 2008
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay in one of our condominiums.

It is not correct to state the the maanger "did nothing" because, as per the letter that was already mailed to your home address from the hotel management, your concerns were addressed immediately upon being brought to our attention. It is also important to note, which you did not mention in your review, that you were provided not only with a discount for your inconvenience on your recent stay but you were ALSO provided with a future complimentary stay. Accordingly, the manager most certainly addressed your concerns.

Also as per the letter, the 310 suites were completely renovated in the spring of 2008. However, the two and three bedroom condos are scheduled to be renovated in late 2008/early 2009. The pictures on line that you are referring to in your review, which were JUST taken in May 2008, are of the 310 one bedroom suites that were all just renovated; only thirty (30) of the two and three bedroom condos remain to be renovated this upcoming winter. Therefore, you can not judge the entire property of 310 suites and 30 condos on ONE condo that simply has not been completed as of this time.

I regret that your stay at our hotel did not meet your expectations. I apologize for any inconvenience that you felt you encountered. And, I hope that you will not allow this isolated incident to tarnish you overall opinion of hotel. I trust that on your next visit to Ocean City you will allow us the opportunity to once again serve your hospitality needs as I am sure you will enjoy the planned condo renovations as much as our other guests are enjoying the renovated suites. I look forward to hearing from you to book your complimentary future stay.

NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2008

My husband and I stayed for a few nights following labor day. We had a great time. Read a lot of complaints, but we were pleased. We found that the updates on our one bedroom suite were wonderful. We found the room to be clean, with a nice view, and bed linens were nice and soft. For the price, we got a lot. Yes, the elevators were a little slow, and the carpets a little worn, but it's on the beach, what do you expect? The wear and tear has to be horrible on the carpets. We would definitely stay again, and found that it was close enough to the boardwalk but far enough too. Enjoyed the beach and there were umbrella rentals right when you get on the beach. We also enjoyed how quiet it was in comparison to the boardwalk hotels were WERE looking at originally. We ate at BJ's resturant on the bay which was great, and also ate at Big Peckers (ha ha ha) Great food. Too many buffetts in Ocean City, though. Overall a good experience, and a relaxing one!

• Liked — Everything was there.
  • Disliked — Drinks were very expensive.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rygtx
PrincessRoyale, Administrative Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, 11 September 2008
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel; especially regarding the renovations for which we have received so many positive comments. I am pleased that you found your stay to be "relaxing"; September certainly is the perfect time of year for that type of visit!

Please remember to obtain our popular Welcome Back coupon on our web site and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Ocean City!

baltimore md
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

I love to read the manager's response that they "renovated" some of their rooms. We were in one of the "renovated" suites, #371. Great sized room, great view, free parking, so so beds but you have to be kidding me... Putting granite tops on everything in the room (dresser, bathroom, kitchen, end tables, coffee tables) is not renovation...Okay I'll give them there is a nice new TV in the bedroom too and a new lamp with a strangely colored light bulb, but What about fixing the toilet paper holder coming out of the wall? What about replacing that horribly dirty carpet in the hallways and on the elevator? What about actually updating the curtains, carpet, bedspreads in the room? What about that nasty couch that has seen better days? And don't get me started on the strange smells in the hallway....
This resort has a long way to go before they can claim it's "renovated".

It's a shame that this hotel hasn't kept up with the times... it was so nice , in the early 90s when mirrors on the wall and tube lights on the ceiling were fancy.

• Liked — Nice view, Good size room
  • Disliked — Smells, Dirty Carpets, Tacky decor
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with our renovations. Previously all suites received new carpeting and wall vinyl as well as the VERY popular Temper-pedic mattresses. This past spring ALL 310 suites received ALL NEW FURNITURE, granite kitchen table and counter, granite bathroom vanity, all new 250 thread count linen, all new terry, all new micro-gel pillows, all new art work, all new lighting and more. With all due respect, that is a quite a renovation! A vast majority of our guests have been very pleased and have commented as such. In addition, this coming winter we plan on remodeling our two and three bedroom condos as well.

Again, I am sorry you were not pleased but certainly hope that on your next visit to Ocean City that your accommodations and service exceed your every expectation.

Central Pa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2008

What a great Hotel. Beautiful. I've stayed there many times and this year was outstanding. Room upgrades are just right. The staff is outstanding.
I didn't make it to the Princess last summer and I forgot how much I like staying there. A perfect end to our summer.

• Liked — Clean. Lots of Families. Pleasing rooms and atmosphere. Great neighborhood. Outstanding Pool
  • Disliked — Nothing. I go there almost every summer.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank CentralPa_CoffeeMan
PrincessRoyale, Administrative Asst at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, 11 September 2008
Thank you very much for your comments and taking the time to post your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Ocean City!

Princes Royale
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2008

While searching for accomodations in OCMD for a girl-friend getaway, we were looking for something affordable, with a good location (close to beach and some evening hot-spots) but wanted to stray from the boardwalk and all it's chaos. The Princess Royale had mixed reviews, but appeared to be getting better and better as the season bore on.

Walking into the hotel I was immediatley welcomed back to 1992. The carpets were worn and fadded, icicle-like gold chandelier's hung from the ceilings and the typical luxaries of even a motel 6 I didn't find evident.

As a business traveler I've seen a fair trade of various accomdations, but the Princess really did not play up to my expectations. Then again, this is a hotel in a seasonal town.

The locals love OCMD and all it has to offer. I, personally, find it a mix between family and children, too many all you can eat buffett's, and a crowd that perhaps would be perfectly content with the dangerously slow and shifty elevator at the Princess, the warm indoor poor you just KNOW is filthy with children's pee, and service that does not make any acceptions to making your stay as pleasurable as possible.

The highlights:
Great temperpedic beds, an outdoor bar that has live music around 1 in the afternoon that you can hear on the beach, a decent location (across from bus stop!) and although not great, probably beats out half the motel-ish dives lining main drag offering small dirty rooms for the same price. The Princess offers all Suites which are all decently sized many of which have balconies (do not recommend staying in the rooms who's balconies face indoors - toward the pool. You will be awakened by children playing in pool and videogames).

Would I recommend or stay again, NO, but was it soooo terrible, not in the least.

• Liked — The beds
  • Disliked — Uncleanliness and out dated
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We have worked very hard and at great expense to renovate the property and are receiving wonderful and frequent comments from the vast majority of our guests. At least daily I hear that it "does not look like the same suite". Therefore, I am at a loss as to postings that seem to reflect the property has not been kept up as nothing could be further from the truth.

Our new virtual tour on our web site was just filmed in May of 2008 and we will allow that to speak for itself.

I am sorry your every expectation was not exceeded.