“Great Location - Lousy Bed”

Quality Inn Boardwalk
Ranked #74 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
“Great Location - Lousy Bed”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

You really can't beat the location and the oceanfront suites allow you to hear the waves crashing right from bed but, well, it's that bed that's the problem. This place would jump tremendously in ratings if it would just upgrade the mattresses to pillowtops, because the existing ones are really hard to sleep on. I had to go to the front desk in the middle of the night, 4am, to ask for a stack of the down comforters to fold and lay under me because I was in such terrible pain. Now, granted I have some issues with my hips but even my lower back after the third night was screaming! And this is a typical Quality Inn so don't expect Marriott accomodations :)

Ok, you get the point. Now for the good - there is a guy who rents bikes right from the corner of the building and he is completely awesome, cutting us huge discounts in the off-season. The suite has a full-sized refrigerator, a stove, microwave, and a dishwasher so it's easy to save money on eating out ... or store those yummy leftovers! You are near the middle of the boardwalk so it's easy to go in either direction with dining and shopping choices nearby. One really COOL aspect of this hotel is that it has a penthouse ... not a typical find in OC and definitely a reason to get a group of friends together for your trip. They charge the standard room rate per room, I think 5 total, and each has it's own bathroom and balcony. The Penthouse has two living rooms, and a full wrap around balcony that spans the entire floor. (I didn't go in but saw the photos and it looks fully updated). So might be a good place to plan that special event ... bachelorette party, guys golf weekend, or family reunion anyone?

Room Tip: You definitely want Oceanfront balcony, otherwise it really is kind of pointless to stay at this hot...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeanine44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Korean first
West Deptford, NJ
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed here after our wedding which was a destination wedding in Pennsylvania. The room is a little more worn than the pictures lead you to believe. Our room was extremely hot and there was no air coming in the door from the balcony. We asked about the air conditioner and was told that it was off because they had cool weather the week before. We said reguardless of the weather the week before, our room is hot. They said there is nothing they could do, it will reset itself and come on when its ready. All we wanted to do was relax while looking at the ocean after our busy wedding the week before. This room was suppose to be a premium delux suite and it was no different from a MOTEL room. There was mold in the shower and a tear in the screen door. We will never stay at a Quality Inn again, mostly because of their air conditioning policy. It can still be hot in the beginning of October and if the room wasn't used in a while it will be too warm. There are so many hotels in OC Maryland, move on..

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tina M

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Gloversville, New York
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Unlike some reviewers, we've been here twice and had good stays both times. The last trip we were in a newly refurbished room and this trip in one that should get a re-make pretty soon. That said, we were very satisfied. We find it helpful to remember that when we travel we don't stay at high-priced places--we look for bargins, so we don't expect top-shelf accommodations at the prices we pay. Keeping that in mind helps helps to keep our criticism in perspective.
The staff is helpful and pleasant, doing anything they could for us. The room had some age-related issues; but it was still a good stay for the money. There is a functional kitchen area which even includes a dish washer and everything appeared to work well.
We were a bit disturbed that the room was no-smoking and yet had burn holes in the carpeting--they were unsightly, but that's all. One thing to watch for is the bathroom faucet. I have big hands and I get them caught between the fixture itself and the shelf over it.
The pool is within a well kept area and is one of the deepest hotel pools we've seen--NINE feet! There is also a large hot tub--I believe rated for 8 people. This stay they were having some issues with the hot tub and it was closed for part of our stay and not really up to temperature when we used it. It was OK, though.
We found it curious that the desk gave us coupons for a 1/2 price entree at the hotel in the next restaurant--makes us wonder if something is wrong with the one within their own which looked pleasant enough.
There is usually a basket of apples and oranges at the front desk, and there is a coffee maker that serves up some marginally acceptable coffee 24 hours/day.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank BillP1215
Stafford
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Was not impressed. The ocean view was great, but room was below average. Sliding doors did not work, the screen was "just standing".True in all three rooms I stayed in. After midnight first night, our room flooded/AC. Move to room without view. Management didn't help. Next day they said take bus, get back by 3 to move again. Bad TV recpt, dirty pool, key card rarely worked. Poorly managed and unprofessional.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This was probably a very good hotel at one time - a very long time ago! Today it is very rundown. The room was acceptable, but the public areas were filthy. It desperatley need to be updated in all areas. The front desk staff was a mixed bag - some were very good, but others were very bad. The only really good thing I can say is that the location is great - right at the boardwalk mid-point. There must be many better places to stay in Ocena City. I would probably not return.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank FSB47
Pacific Grove, California
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Pros: Clean bathroom, clean beds, awesome view with a balcony, and spacious rooms.
Cons: Poor underwhelming service, condition of public space, and poor quality of work by engineering in rooms

I have only one major complaint and that is on service recieved from the front office. We checked in late for a 1 night stay. The room was stuffy when we got in around midnight so we tried to turn on the A/C. It didn't work. Tried the heat to see if it was a thermostat issue and it didn't work either. So we slept with the balcony door open. It was nice, until the boardwalk got busy with people early on and woke us up. When checking out, I stopped by the desk. I gave the clerk my room number and all she could say was "OK". I then mentioned the A/C problem and with an attitude she replied "Did you have your balcony door open?" I replied that I didn't and her response was that she'd have maintenance take a look. That was the end of that conversation. She never once apologized or even said thank you for staying. Worst, she couldn't even be bothered with a simple goodbye. I work as a front office manager at a hotel, so it kills me when I am overly forgiving of a hotel's guest room issues and recieve the worst possible service in return. Please retrain your staff and hire people who are generally happy people.

Room Tip: The higher, the better the view. I had room 511 and it was perfect for the view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SeaOtt3r
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Keep in mind that this hotel requires 72 hours notice to cancel and avoid a fine. I find that excessive and worth an average rating of itself. Our room had 2 queen beds and a pullout couch which works well for us since we have 3 kids. They have complementary newspapers in the lobby, Baltimore Sun. They also had good coffee in the lobby. There wasn't enough parking at the hotel but they have a lot across the street that we used. The elevator doors close way too fast. I'm surprised this isn't a safety issue. When we arrived in the hallway of our ninth floor room, the air smelled like fish. Either they cleaned it up or I got used to it after a couple of days. The bathroom had a separate fan switch which I liked. We used the easy to use safe pretty often. There were curtains that separated the living room area from the bedroom area but they don't work right anymore and got stuck when we tried to open and close them. Still I'd rather have the broken curtains instead of none. We didn't watch much TV except for the Weather Channel (which they had), but the signal quality was poor and not many channels were available. They have a hot tub and indoor pool. We used the hot tub but it smelled funny and the water wasn't clear, they probably needed to use more chlorine.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family